Let’s talk NGPC in 2018!

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Let’s talk about the NGPC, anything goes! UK Clamshell collections, that Everdrive thingy (is it good?), what games are essential, what games can be avoided? What games are you good at? What OG games are you hunting, on what region, and what are your thoughts on their worth? Tell me how much you hate the NGPC. Let’s talk NGPC!

I’ve been playing my NGPC quite a bit lately. Dark Arms, Pacman, Faselei! and KOF R2. Faselei! is a fantastic game for a tiny handheld, great story and game mechanics. It was the first game I bought on the handheld (complete boxed UK release) back in 2002. I think I paid about $60 for it back then.

Last edited:

ssjlance

Asked For Custom, Rank. Unsure If, I Can Be Bother
Everdrie thingy

What's this now? I've heard of a flashcart that can take a ROM or two at a time, but is there a legitimate SD card style flashcart out there now for purchase?

Used to have an NGPC back in the day. I want to say early/mid 2000's? Whenever they were doing the liquidated sales through game stores, came in a cheap plastic package with 6 games in clamshell cases. King of Fighter, Samurai Shodown, Neo Turf Masters, Metal Slug, and Pac-Man. Ended up getting Puzzle Bobble on eBay eventually. I think the sixth game was the other KOF for NGP, but not 100% at this point in my life.

Those fighters were seriously the most fun I've had on handheld fighting games, and the Pocket was my only real exposure to Neo Geo for years, minus playing the home/arcade titles in MAME.

Really great handheld and have been thinking about picking one up in the relatively near future. Knowing there's a good flashcart might motivate me to sell off some extra stuff and see if I can raise some funds....

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
What's this now? I've heard of a flashcart that can take a ROM or two at a time, but is there a legitimate SD card style flashcart out there now for purchase?

Used to have an NGPC back in the day. I want to say early/mid 2000's? Whenever they were doing the liquidated sales through game stores, came in a cheap plastic package with 6 games in clamshell cases. King of Fighter, Samurai Shodown, Neo Turf Masters, Metal Slug, and Pac-Man. Ended up getting Puzzle Bobble on eBay eventually. I think the sixth game was the other KOF for NGP, but not 100% at this point in my life.

Those fighters were seriously the most fun I've had on handheld fighting games, and the Pocket was my only real exposure to Neo Geo for years, minus playing the home/arcade titles in MAME.

Really great handheld and have been thinking about picking one up in the relatively near future. Knowing there's a good flashcart might motivate me to sell off some extra stuff and see if I can raise some funds....

Yes, it's called the neo geo pocket SD. A quick Google search can net you some results, but it's not talked about here because the original thread turned into a shitshow.

I love the NGPC, card fighters and MotM are all you need for hours and hours of fun.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
There is some sort of flash cart that can take ROMs but I know very little about how it works. Keen to know more and if it’s worth transitioning over to like most systems now.

The fighters really are great! KOF R2 especially, is essential on the system and can be found quite cheap too. I remember those stripped back package deals in the sealed plastic. They used to he all over eBay at one point. Keen to hear more about those too.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Yes, it's called the neo geo pocket SD. A quick Google search can net you some results, but it's not talked about here because the original thread turned into a shitshow.

Must’ve missed that one. Let’s talk about it then! Maybe this thread will bring back Metal Slug and his speculative price analysis for the system.

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
Yeah it's definitely a great little system. I first got one around 2003 or 2004, well before I got into AES/MVS. I've been slowly collecting for it since then. Completed the U.S. set a while back. For U.K. I'm missing 4 B&W games, Magical Drop Pocket and Gal's Fighters. I used to have around 50-60 JPN games but sold them years ago.

Faselei is one of my favorites too, along with Dynamite Slugger, Last Blade, Cotton and Pocket Tennis.

Some pics:

U.S. Games + Clamshell U.S. Games:
Spoiler:

BbvQFdP.jpg

Xl4aZXF.jpg

U.K. Games:
Spoiler:

jQs4Isl.jpg

QTVhDZt.jpg

Systems:
Spoiler:

csBYYnK.jpg

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
It was the system that got me into Neo Geo and brought me to this site.

I loves me some Sonic Pocket Adventure and Metal Slug 2nd Mission.

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
Wow, that's a really impressive collection Colorado Rocky. How much did you pay for Pocket Reversi?

I saw one went recently for a crazy amount - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/POCKET-REVERSI-UK-PAL-NEO-GEO-POCKET-BOXED-COMPLETE-MINT-ULTRA-RARE/122971569930?hash=item1ca1ad3f0a:g:WsQAAOSwp-Rahxgz

Thanks. I think I paid around $150 to $200 for it, but that was over 5 years ago at least. I got Cotton and Evolution around that time too and paid close to the same for them as well. Those latter 2 have remained pretty much the same in price after all these years so it's interesting to see Reversi so expensive now. I think the JPN version is fully in English. I'd just go with that if I was new to the scene.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Still love mine. I need to get a backlight mod so I can be ballin'.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
I still have one with a front light mod. Also have 10 little ngp beanies of different animals. Not that much games.
I know I have
Puzzle Link
Dive Alert
PuyoPuyo
Biomotor Unitron and a few more.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Awesome collection Colorado Rockie

Good timing on this thread, I just ordered the Pocket SD a couple days ago. Siked to finally play Card Fighters Clash 2 in English after all these years.

Here is my collection minus Crush Roller which is in storage somewhere:

ivnVW10.jpg

Most of it was bought from Game Liquidation way back in the day when there was so much new old stock. The 2nd NGPC I actually found at GoodWill with Bust A Move pocket. I couldn't believe someone else actually had one in my small town- and subsequently donated it. The NGPC was the first Neo system I owned and I enjoy every game I have for it. Even though I'm getting the SD I would still like carts of a few more titles like Sonic and Baseball Stars.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
Heres mine.

20180306_134552.jpg

I've got most of the heavy hitters and sold some to pay for grad school expenses, so I'm missing a few that I want back like metal slug 2nd mission, last blade, and sonic.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Oh man, I used to have a huge US collection when it released. I sold it at one point, which I immediately regretted. Years later, I rebought everything I had (sans sweet cardboard boxes). I still throw on Neo Turf Masters regularly. Everything on NGPC has held up extremely well. I have a Neo Flashmasta cart with Evolution and Cotton on it as I never dropped the cash for those two.

Also, NGPC Slim > NGPC

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
Also, NGPC Slim > NGPC

So much yes.

99099dafeb70516ca4e81a477b8a5296.jpg

At one point I had a full US set and a full Jap set excluding the greatest hits editions. The above is what I kept after selling off the slot games and duplicates.

Condensed down to one shelf there’s a lot of great stuff on the pocket. Many of these games I’ve put over a hundred hours on, Cardfighters, Ganbare Neo Poke Un, Turfmasters etc.

There’s a few collectibles I kept because I dig em a lot, the Samsho box set, KOF glasses and some phone cards.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
So much yes.

99099dafeb70516ca4e81a477b8a5296.jpg

At one point I had a full US set and a full Jap set excluding the greatest hits editions. The above is what I kept after selling off the slot games and duplicates.

Condensed down to one shelf there’s a lot of great stuff on the pocket. Many of these games I’ve put over a hundred hours on, Cardfighters, Ganbare Neo Poke Un, Turfmasters etc.

There’s a few collectibles I kept because I dig em a lot, the Samsho box set, KOF glasses and some phone cards.

Oh man! Nice collection! I really should give neo poke un a go

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
Great pics in this thread!!!

I bought the B&W version back in the day, the color after that and I'm still loving the system today. Agreed on the slim NGPC being the best version.

So many great games! MOTM is still my favorite one, but all fighters are really good. I have very fond memories of Samurai 2, but haven't played that one in a while.

I've been slowly building up a Japanese collection throughout the years and now I'm only missing 4 titles for the full set: Cotton, Picture Puzzle, Koi Koi Mahjong and some junk pachislot game. (not counting BEST editions, only have a couple of those). Will share a pic later.

Seeing Cotton's current prices though, I'm not sure if I'm going to finish it anytime soon... not in a hurry anyhow. Picture Puzzle seems to be a hard find too, it doesn't pop up frequently complete.

Haven't picked up the flashcart, since I already own most of the titles, but it would be great to play the Cardfighters 2 translation on the system. Wish there were more fan translated games, but I guess the system it's not that popular.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Real cool collections fellas!

Like many others, I started with the NGPC first before getting into MVS and AES. I've been collecting the UK releases on and off since 2002. I'm still after 15 of the official UK releases but considering most of the ones I'm missing are the heavy hitters (Dynamite Slugger included), it could be a while before I get them, or even bother doing so. I've taken photos of my collection, see below...

Consoles
Spoiler:
dlqnn7.jpg

Aruze Pachinko games
Spoiler:
ouqm3k.jpg

UK games 1
Spoiler:
avr05u.jpg

UK games 2
Spoiler:
5krau1.jpg

UK games 3
Spoiler:
atnmuq.jpg

UK games 4
Spoiler:
35i1wtj.jpg

Last edited:

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Very nice. Seeing all these clamshells makes me want to upgrade some of my copies. Most of mine came from the blister packs, looks like they have all dried up.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Very nice F4U57! Reminds me of how much I loved playing Biomotor Unitron when it came out. Really wish the sequel had made it to US/UK

I think I am gonna replay that one

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
Real cool collections fellas!

Like many others, I started with the NGPC first before getting into MVS and AES. I've been collecting the UK releases on and off since 2002. I'm still after 15 of the official UK releases but considering most of the ones I'm missing are the heavy hitters (Dynamite Slugger included), it could be a while before I get them, or even bother doing so. I've taken photos of my collection, see below...

Consoles
Spoiler:
dlqnn7.jpg

Aruze Pachinko games
Spoiler:
ouqm3k.jpg

UK games 1
Spoiler:
avr05u.jpg

UK games 2
Spoiler:
5krau1.jpg

UK games 3
Spoiler:
atnmuq.jpg

UK games 4
Spoiler:
35i1wtj.jpg

That's a sexy collection man, nice job!

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Thanks fellas.

Biomotor Unitron was actually the first game I ever bought for the system, followed by Faselei! I remember playing it for a few days until I clocked it, great game! About time I gave it another go as well. And yeah, really wish the sequel made it to the US. I wonder if there is a translation available? So looks like the Neo Geo Pocket SD is what people are using to play available translations?

-SD-

Camel Slug
I have all 39 UK clamshell releases, along with the five B&W titles and two cover variants.

NYM4gBO.jpg

WSGSnCC.jpg

gMKKNqs.jpg

EMeToCR.jpg

And some other random bits...

Z14Lsn7.jpg

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
Love that carrying pouch!

Here's a pic of my Jap collection!

NGPC.jpeg

Beast Busters is actually the US version, since I really wanted to play that one in English. Picked it up from eBay back when I was in university.

Most of the rest were bought upon release or in second hand shops in Japan. Wish I got Cotton back then!

-SD-

Camel Slug
I completed my collection years ago, but at the time I was contemplating going for all the Japanese exclusives as well. But that’s about another 40 or so titles iirc, and then there’s the Japanese clamshells too... I’m glad I managed to grab Big Bang Pro Wrestling but I’m annoyed I never got Rockman before the prices went absolutely insane.

I’m still hoping for full English translations of Biomotor Unitron 2 and Ogre Battle Gaiden...

The real problem is the shitty screen, I’d love for a modern replacement LCD or maybe even a full hardware clone as long as it has an accurate recreation of the thumbstick.

Last edited: