Are Video Games About Having Fun Anymore?

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
The definiition of fun is definitely subjective according to each person's preferences. Personally I've been trying to strive for 1CCs specifically as of late, and been having a lot of fun with it too. It's a nice challenge, and it feels good to be able to actually get good enough to be at that play level in a game.

My daughter got the itch to play Minecraft on the PS3, the first time she has wanted to do that in pushing 3 or so months. I fired it up...update of the game required, need to sign in to the PSN. Sign in to PSN, update of the PS3 required...so I DL in install that...and then DL and install the Minecraft update...all 1Gb of it. That took nearly an hour to do.

A 1Gb update on a 5 year old game on a 12 year old console...wrap your head around that one.

This shit is why I do not have a modern console...

What did you expect after not playing the PS3 for so long? Also a game like Minecraft would obviously still be constantly being updated as well. Lesson here is you have a shit internet connection, even if it's wireless and not hooked up through ethernet, it shouldn't take an hour. Would've probably taken less than 10 minutes on my wireless.

Also why the hell post in this thread at all? Everyone here knows you don't enjoy anything anyways.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
The definiition of fun is definitely subjective according to each person's preferences. Personally I've been trying to strive for 1CCs specifically as of late, and been having a lot of fun with it too. It's a nice challenge, and it feels good to be able to actually get good enough to be at that play level in a game.

What did you expect after not playing the PS3 for so long? Also a game like Minecraft would obviously still be constantly being updated as well. Lesson here is you have a shit internet connection, even if it's wireless and not hooked up through ethernet, it shouldn't take an hour. Would've probably taken less than 10 minutes on my wireless.

Also why the hell post in this thread at all? Everyone here knows you don't enjoy anything anyways.

A. Who in the fuck are you?

B. I'll explain this...because your reading comprehension seem to be a bit dim:

-Turn on PS3, load MC, find out MC needs an update
-Get out of MC, log in to PSN, find out it needs updated
-DL PS3 update
-Install PS3 Update
-reboot PS3
-reload MC
-DL a 1Gb MC update
-Install the update

All of that took nearly an hour, fuckwad. It had little to do with my download speed.

Lastly...3 months off of a console that is 12 years old isn't that much of a stretch...

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member

-DL PS3 update
-Install PS3 Update
-reboot PS3
-reload MC
-DL a 1Gb MC update
-Install the update

All of that took nearly an hour, fuckwad. It had little to do with my download speed.

Lastly...3 months off of a console that is 12 years old isn't that much of a stretch...

Most people would be happy that they're getting new content for free. As usual, you just bitch about it.

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member

-DL PS3 update
-Install PS3 Update
-reboot PS3
-reload MC
-DL a 1Gb MC update
-Install the update

A. You wouldn't know since most of my posts are in hi-score threads, because I play games, and have FUN with them. That's not important though since I don't give two shits if you do or not.

B. My reading comprehension is fine. I've read enough around here to know that you're just a gigantic bitch.

Fine, you don't have slow internet, you're obviously just slow in general.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Fun, to me, is fully enjoying something. Not rushing through, but spending time with it while enjoying it. Something can be said that the assholes who troll on a game online doing the same crap over and over are having fun and to a certain extent I can't deny the claim. Though I feel that's more about having fun with people's misery then having fun just playing the game.

If someone wants to beat a game the fastest way possible that really isn't fun IMO. Is it fun to watch a movie in fast foward? Is it fun to get a trophy for something you never participated in? Is it fun doing the same thing over and over day in and out?

Again fun is subjective, but I feel it's not really that hard to classify "fun".

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
It wasn't free content...it was more DLC options..

...which aren't free...

How dare they keep adding stuff to the game to keep people interested! It's not really the devs or consoles fault that you have this need to bitch about literally everything.

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
one way to kill the buzz, is have shit glitches in games that literally force the player to NUKE their save/progress file and start from scratch.
advent rising on the xbox original for example.
had to web search for a flat av-recorded playthrough for a specific point in the game.
bug is known, absolutely would not have been able to clear that game were it not for that video guide.
all else played blind, or no fun for me.
that's a game two generations back, qa clearly wasn't up to snuff then.
lost by an order of magnitude.
it irritates me to know most games are knocked out with bug reports and patches par for the course today...

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I bet if we started keeping track, we'd find a certain 28-day pattern happening...

7TkMy4r.jpg

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
It wasn't free content...it was more DLC options..

...which aren't free...

You're right. I shouldn't have said free. How about "options for content". Instead of bitching, be happy that the old game on an old system is even being supported. It's this constant entitled bitching about video games on the internet that ruins the fun in gaming more then anything else.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I have watched my nephews simply create fun in those sandbox playgrounds.
They first started with RoBlox when they were under 10 yrs old. It made no sense to me, but they had a blast just making their own stuff to do.
Now they moved to Garry's Mod, which is also just bizarre to me. They make up games and challenges on the spot. Reminds me of what I used to do when I went outside at 11 years old.

Nice topic...i think being connected and being judged online has ruined the game playing experience to a certain extent... people care too much about what others think and every dumbass has an opinion or threat to make without any real reprecussions...

i get really weird, hateful messages when i play SF5 online...its just a game...some ppl are really mental out there...

when i play SF4 at Round1 at the local mall, younger kids have no interaction to winning or losing and older people (over 30) are usually happy/friendly regardless of winning/losing...

growing up there was no pressure to be good...and even when there was pressure to win it was usually a 2 player matchup with a loved one (sibling/cousin/friend)...i never heard anyone talk shit at the arcade the way people do online today

Last edited:

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
All I hardly ever play are JRPGs from Atlus, XSeed, Marvelous, Aksys, and occassionaly NIS (Although their weeaboo pedo stuff puts me off)..
I play drums in Rock Band 4, but never online.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
How dare they keep adding stuff to the game to keep people interested! It's not really the devs or consoles fault that you have this need to bitch about literally everything.

Jesus H Christ...you too?

Listen, I made my statement earlier, this new shit isn't for me. There's a reason why my latest console purchase was made in 2008.

My kiddo wanted to play a game and it took me what I consider an absurdly long time to get it rolling due to play-to-play content additions. If that shit is cool for you, cool beans. I'm not a fan of it...thus my not having a current console.

The rest of you can enjoy a nice iced down bucket of dicks...

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
My favorite is when you have everything updated and then you come back a few months later and you need to update for a new game or even the current game. System update into a system update into a game update.

yo dawg I heard you like updates so we put an updates in a update so you can update while you update.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member

Listen, I made my statement earlier, this new shit isn't for me. There's a reason why my latest console purchase was made in 2008.

My kiddo wanted to play a game and it took me what I consider an absurdly long time to get it rolling due to play-to-play content additions. If that shit is cool for you, cool beans. I'm not a fan of it...thus my not having a current console.

It's not so much that it's cool for me, because having to wait an hour to play a game is annoying. It's more I'm not gonna let the fact that at least they're still updating older games to add more optional content ruin my day. It's nice that they still support them rather than some of the stuff like EA puts out that are shut down 1-2 years after release to make you sink money into another one.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
The system/game updates thing do bug me but not to the point of not playing. PS3 has a lot of system updates, PS4 seems to be less prevalent. Game updates usually isn't too bad but it does feel like that is all you do if you haven't turned on your system in a long time.

I waited until late last year to jump onto this generation (PS4). I feel like games haven't really moved forward all that much and we are pretty much playing the same games for the past 10+ years. The Switch has some cool games but most of them are from Nintendo. I split my time between old and new stuff, but definitely stay away from anything online. It is too toxic out there.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Nice topic...i think being connected and being judged online has ruined the game playing experience to a certain extent... people care too much about what others think and every dumbass has an opinion or threat to make without any real reprecussions...

i get really weird, hateful messages when i play SF5 online...its just a game...some ppl are really mental out there...

when i play SF4 at Round1 at the local mall, younger kids have no interaction to winning or losing and older people (over 30) are usually happy/friendly regardless of winning/losing...

growing up there was no pressure to be good...and even when there was pressure to win it was usually a 2 player matchup with a loved one (sibling/cousin/friend)...i never heard anyone talk shit at the arcade the way people do online today

I can spend hours talking about arcade vs online. It especially infuriates me when people think arcades are all about shitting and disrespecting on players when they are trying to learn like everybody else simply because they see people doing that on stream. While I have been to a few more "rowdy" arcades the fact of the matter is if they tried some of the shit in the arcade that people do online their head would go through the monitor

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
It's not like we NEED to play videogames.

If you haven't noticed, there's a huge resurgence in boardgaming and pen&paper RPG's.
There's something to be said about unplugging when the shit they are providing is weak.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
It's not like we NEED to play videogames.

If you haven't noticed, there's a huge resurgence in boardgaming and pen&paper RPG's.
There's something to be said about unplugging when the shit they are providing is weak.

Its funny you'd bring this up. I have some younger fellas in my class and we were talking about board games and pen/paper stuff.

One of them was talking about the original NES Legend of Zelda...I told him that when I played it (as well as Metroid), I used graph paper to map out the world/dungeons. He began doing it later that week. Out of nowhere he comes to me after class last Thurs and tells me he had been playing Zelda making his own maps and how much fun he was having doing it, it kind of caught me off guard. I didn't expect a kid to get into something like that, I obviously underestimated him.

Its funny to think that something we did out of necessity, they're doing as "roughing it"...

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
I remember when CD consoles started handling load time differently - or at least, when magazines used to point out how it was different. "Wow! This is loading in-game during this elevator ride, so it looks like a seamless game experience".

When it comes to downloadable games and updates, have they started doing that yet? Can you start to play the game, or experience the intro/menu, before a game fully downloads?

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,

Couldn't you have played it offline, without the updates?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Couldn't you have played it offline, without the updates?

You'd think...but no. It's funny the way it works. When we originally bought the game, my daughter wanted this texture add-on pack for $3. It was no big deal, so I got it for her. Everything she's done in the game uses that pack.

To attempt to use the game without an update, it disables any purchased options, including that pack. Well...try to load the game and it gives you a "no-go" and kicks you out.

...so I had to do the update.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
This is why I'm probably stopping at the PS4 for my console buying. Where I live the internet just can't handle the massive updates games require now. I bought Marvel vs Capcom Infinite and could not even play arcade mode before I downloaded the patch, which I had to spread a couple hours over two days.

This is why physical games are not going anywhere, too many people in the United States have terrible internet.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I haven't had to update the PS3 since maybe 2010 lol you guys obviously still BUY games for it :keke: