Are Video Games About Having Fun Anymore?

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I've noticed this trend with the younger generation. You fall into two catagories.

1. Get the game as fast as possible beat and unlock all secrets within the least amount of time possible so you can show everything in a stream or uploaded video and make money.

2. Get the game. Realize it takes time to learn everything. Go online and pull up how to beat it easily. Beat it and never play it again (or if it has online features learn the cheapest bullshit and spam to make yourself feel like you accomplished something amazing).

I've had talks about having fun w/ people like this and the responses sound like they come out of Conan the Barbarian.

So, am I missing something, or is the video game industry heading somewhere annoyingly bad judging by the attitude of the new generation?

joala

A Joala is for Life., Not Just Christmas.,
What about the 3rd option - buy as much retro gaming shit as you can for the sole purpose of taking nice photos of it and posting on Farcebook?

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
already went there at the turn of the millennium.
customer based has morphed entirely into something i refuse to relate to.
companies are only pandering to the money supply, can't blame them for that at least. (though they do alienate existing customers, that grinds my gears to no end.)
yeah, can't comment on social (wiretap) media, i've already come to the conclusion those that use it are to be avoided at all costs.
won't make public my stash, not here.
on one hand, op nailed it.
the other is just an evolution or devolution, makes no difference to companies, supply and demand.
at this point, doesn't directly effect me as i'm behind the curve, safer than the leading edge.
[edit]
typo.

Last edited:

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
What about the 3rd option - buy as much retro gaming shit as you can for the sole purpose of taking nice photos of it and posting on Farcebook?

Well technically I was talking about the newer generation. The newer generation usually doesn't have that much disposable income to be buying the high dollar old collectible shit. That's unfortunately the older generation who think games back in the day are superior, but are too something (busy, mature, old, etc) to play them so collecting them is the alternative because you can chalk it up to it's an investment.

joala

A Joala is for Life., Not Just Christmas.,
Well technically I was talking about the newer generation. The newer generation usually doesn't have that much disposable income to be buying the high dollar old collectible shit. That's unfortunately the older generation who think games back in the day are superior, but are too something (busy, mature, old, etc) to play them so collecting them is the alternative because you can chalk it up to it's an investment.

These young 'uns, if they want it, they'll find a way to get it...

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Probably explains why the only modern games I play are Battlefield and player unknowns battlegrounds, both are jump in/jump out games and with no commitment required. I keep any spare gaming motivation for playing retro games.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist

The pictures are usually accompanied with "am I doing this right?" or "what am I missing?" Then the others chime in with a whole bunch of really helpful comments.

Awesome stuff.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I keep any spare gaming motivation for playing retro games.

+1

Current games are designed to be open end, like having sex forever, without ejaculating even once. After a while you just implode and decay along with the confidence, that there's no other truth the one that says: the house always wins.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
If you're not playijng games to have fun, what's the point?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I believe that video games have been about $$ most of our lives...BUT...they were created by more seemingly passionate people in the past. Gaming has gone to form over function and the proof is in the product.

I don't feel that most modern games are fun...maybe its me, maybe its the games, who knows. I wills say this, I still play the crap out of my retropie...so its not like I no longer love video games.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I believe that video games have been about $$ most of our lives...BUT...they were created by more seemingly passionate people in the past. Gaming has gone to form over function and the proof is in the product.

I don't feel that most modern games are fun...maybe its me, maybe its the games, who knows. I wills say this, I still play the crap out of my retropie...so its not like I no longer love video games.

When it comes to developers I agree, but the people that keep the developers honest are the gamers. A classic example is Street Fighter V. Deciding players no longer want an Arcade mode stems from the notion that the vast majority of players out there either play it professionally or are gamers that watch the pros and copy them by practicing the moves in practice mode before trying what they practiced against other human opponents. The idea that people practice over and over with an A.I. in different scenerios is almost a far fetched notion because then you would have to be trying to practice and beat the game without help. To be trying to get better by yourself, then taking your skills against human opponents.

Financial compensation, or for endorphines your body gives out when you accomplish something. Except rather then getting it by accomplishing it yourself, you're cheating by having someone figure it out for you.

Last edited:

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
not sure about this gen, although i thought resi 7 and fallout 4 was pretty sweet, but games on last gen consoles were solid.

Zapperkhan

Kula's Candy

I like how Jonathan Blow explains this at 1:20. Fun is really broad, playing might not be fun but the outcome of winning a competitive match would be. If you load 10 matches in a row, most people wouldn't find that fun.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I like how Jonathan Blow explains this at 1:20. Fun is really broad, playing might not be fun but the outcome of winning a competitive match would be. If you load 10 matches in a row, most people wouldn't find that fun.

What is "fun" really is subjective.

I do not enjoy sports titles, never have. My buddy running the score on Madden '96 back in the day wasn't something I was into. Playing one on one fighters over and over and over again was never my bag. Running a kill count on some arena based FPS like Unreal Tournament wasn't my bag either. The same goes for modern FPS titles...I'm just not into them....but other's are. Some may describe games I enjoy as being boring...its really up to the individual.

What I feel most can agree with is; pay-to-win isn't fun, constant updates aren't fun, buggy, crash laden games aren't fun, never ending pay-for DLC isn't fun.

My buying a digital only, massive update requiring, buggy, pay for locked out content, and pay to win game for $60 initial cost is far from what I'd call fun.

*EDIT*

Case-in-point.

My daughter got the itch to play Minecraft on the PS3, the first time she has wanted to do that in pushing 3 or so months. I fired it up...update of the game required, need to sign in to the PSN. Sign in to PSN, update of the PS3 required...so I DL in install that...and then DL and install the Minecraft update...all 1Gb of it. That took nearly an hour to do.

A 1Gb update on a 5 year old game on a 12 year old console...wrap your head around that one.

This shit is why I do not have a modern console...

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
#2 is covered by games like Monster Hunter and Dark Souls. Sure you can get gear, but it's still a slow meticulous battle. There is a reason gamers flock to these games.

I am down to ZERO games on my mobile phone. Everything released in the last 2 years is just a treadmill. Hop on, click things over and over, slowly increase stats, repeat the next day. Those are not games at all.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
#2 is covered by games like Monster Hunter and Dark Souls. Sure you can get gear, but it's still a slow meticulous battle. There is a reason gamers flock to these games.

I am down to ZERO games on my mobile phone. Everything released in the last 2 years is just a treadmill. Hop on, click things over and over, slowly increase stats, repeat the next day. Those are not games at all.

At best, they're a sim. The only thing I have on my phone is the Simpson's Tapped Out...and it's just a silly tame waster. Because it gives you the ability to earn "premium" currency for no cost, I continue to use it. I'll say there's not "game" about it though...its tap and wait.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Fun is kinda subjective. A lot of newer games aren't fun in the same ways that old games are, but there are exceptions. Some are really more like interactive movies, so I may enjoy them like watching a movie, they please a different part of the brain than playing Galaga might. New games can still be fun though. Doom 2017 is a blast.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I had a ton of fun with Super Mario Odyssey. You're just not playing the right games.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I had a ton of fun with Super Mario Odyssey. You're just not playing the right games.

For many of us, we don't feel like shelling out the $$ to get a new console in the hope that they do release a game we like.

...and you can shut it with the 3D Mario faggotry...

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
For many of us, we don't feel like shelling out the $$ to get a new console in the hope that they do release a game we like.

Yeah, I can afford a Switch because I didn't have to buy a separate bed for my wife.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member

7TkMy4r.jpg