McMafia on AMC

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I got into McMafia after trying to avoid it, because I thought the name sounded stupid, and I think mafia is for retards. But McMafia is entertaining. It tells the story of a young man who runs a private equity firm in London, whose family was exiled from the Russian mob. He has made his best efforts to build himself without criminal money, but something happens and he gets sucked in. (the old Breaking Bad story)

The acting in McMafia is on the upper end. There aren't any famous faces that I recognize but some of the Russian actors are known. Comparative, this is way more plausible than The Night Manager, and the acting is better despite the lack of big names.

It's also on BBC1 if you can't drive on the right side of the road. (also on Kodi, because really that's how people watch tv now)

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
McMafia? What dildo thought that would work as a show name?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
McMafia? What dildo thought that would work as a show name?

It’s a shit name, I agree. It has to do with the mcdonalds business model, and why mcdonalds is more successful than Burger King.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
wow. still ridiculous to make a serious show with "Mc" donalds reference.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
wow. still ridiculous to make a serious show with "Mc" donalds reference.

Yeah, that’s precisely the reason I didn’t want to watch the show at first. Glad I got over the shitty name.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
That kind of thing won't be available in the third world, until they bring it out dubbed into mexican

Which is a shame.
Been living here for 20 years and I miss all the UK shows

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Wait a minute, this show has nothing to do with McDonald's? I envisioned a show where Ronald is breaking kneecaps and shaking down Wendy's managers.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Watched the first episode twice now. It's a pretty damn good pilot and agree it's better than The Night Manager. The title is terrible but like Charlie said it makes sense when they explain it.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I just finished watching this... I enjoyed it...

Not as good as The Night Manager tho....

It was very Godfatheresque.... "What Would YOU do to protect your dodgy as fook family..?"...

Spoiler:
I liked how through... need and necessity... Alex slowly turned into one ruthless mofo... and the depiction that guys in suits are now teh new Mafia...

4/5 stars....:p

xROTx

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I just finished watching this... I enjoyed it...

Not as good as The Night Manager tho....

It was very Godfatheresque.... "What Would YOU do to protect your dodgy as fook family..?"...

Spoiler:
I liked how through... need and necessity... Alex slowly turned into one ruthless mofo... and the depiction that guys in suits are now teh new Mafia...

4/5 stars....:p

xROTx

Night Manager was complete horse crap with pretty wrapping paper. How can you suspend the disbelief of Loki happening to plant himself in all the hotels where Dr House was going to?

The Worricker movies did the night manager way better than night manager did itself.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Night Manager was complete horse crap with pretty wrapping paper. How can you suspend the disbelief of Loki happening to plant himself in all the hotels where Dr House was going to?

The Worricker movies did the night manager way better than night manager did itself.

Cuz... I have a narrow focus beam of what i find enjoyable....

Why do you think I have nearly every SNAPPED: Women Who Kill episode....

xROTx

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Cuz... I have a narrow focus beam of what i find enjoyable....

Why do you think I have nearly every SNAPPED: Women Who Kill episode....

xROTx

Because Jan is looking for new and exciting ways to keel you.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Because Jan is looking for new and exciting ways to keel you.

WELL... I know the signs now...

The main one is if she increases my Life Insurance... I'm pretty sure I'm fooked at that stage...

xROTx