Famicom Disk System Repair/Adjustment

Geekman1222

Kula's Candy
So I been playing around with these Famicom Disk System drives for a bit of which i have 2.

Both give me error 22.
From what i read error 22 could be multiple things, including Spindal misalignment

I have no way of testing my 2 test diskettes either so im not positive but maybe if they are bad this error could happen.

When i received them the belt drives were of course rotted so temporarily i used a small rubber band on each one. Maybe this is not creating the right amount of torque so I might go ahead and buy replacement belts anyways.

If you look at the diskette while the drive is reading the head is moving down the disk and the disk is spinning.

I have tried adjusting the Spindle Hub but i havent gotten any results. I tried following the guide for Spindle adjustments but im not exactly sure i am following what they are talking about, http://prntscr.com/ik808j Is there a home position i am supposed to start adjusting the Hub at? The way i gathered is, you have to position the drive head so it is at its farthest point from the spindle and hub just before the drive head starts to move back towards the spindle. This is the point where you make any adjustments so everything is synced up, Maybe thats not right?

Does anyone have any suggestions about this. Maybe it just takes alot of time to tune it just right on the spindle hub, or maybe thats not it at all.

Thanks

Guide Reference:
http://www.famicomdisksystem.com/tutorials/fds-repair-mod/belt-replacement-adjustment/

Last edited:

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
replace that belt . thats probably causing most of your problems. you can adjust the spindles from there. get the amstrad belt- same exact thing as the nintendo one, only they were made more recently. plus like 1/3 the price.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Yeah start with the belt.

Would also be worth making sure the disks work. Whenever I get a stack of disks it’s common for about 10% not to work, it wouldn’t be unreasonable for the only 2 you have not to work.

Adjusting the spindle is finicky and can take multiple tries. Once you’ve done it enough times you’ll start to get a feel for it. Good luck!

Geekman1222

Kula's Candy
Alright Ill go ahead and order some replacement belts it could just be the rubberband isnt enough torque to pull the hub at the correct speed

Thanks

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
95% of the time a belt replacement solves the problem. If it’s the original belt it’s probably barely staying together. Probably brittle as hell.

Case in point my 3DO FZ-1’s rubber feet literally turned to goo in the last six months. Rubber does weird shit over time

Geekman1222

Kula's Candy
95% of the time a belt replacement solves the problem. If it’s the original belt it’s probably barely staying together. Probably brittle as hell.

Case in point my 3DO FZ-1’s rubber feet literally turned to goo in the last six months. Rubber does weird shit over time

hehe there was no belt left other than some remnants (it wasnt tampered with though)

I read or heard some where that the reason rubber will turn to goo instead of becoming brittle is because it wasnt treated

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
You might find this of use.

dle0JUE.jpg

Geekman1222

Kula's Candy
This is the video I used to replace the belts on all my disk systems that doesn't require post-belt-replacement adjustment. Maybe it'll be of help to you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOY1G3Sg11Q

I found that newer method after i did the first drive sadly ... but the second drive i did I used the newer method, but i read online even with the newer method an adjustment might be required if the gears are not alligned to the correct degree/teeth. Either way they both give error 22.

Do you guys recommend a belt or maybe a better rubberband?? lol

Edit, i skipped through some more, clearly the "seating" of the gears using the holes was something i was not aware of i might go back tonight and try this before bed.

Thanks for the continued help and tips everyone

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I always just used rubber bands from the junk drawer, you probably have one too. I don't know where you'd buy a suitable rubber band, just go with something that fills the space of the motor spinner well, something like the cheap yellow belt off eBay but thicker. The material of the rubber band is also important, it needs to grip the smooth metal and plastic wheels, just try out as many rubber bands as you can find.