4-Slot resetting constantly after 10 minites of play

NEgO MANIAC

Sieger's Squire
15 Year Member
So I just bought this 4-slot to put into my NEO 29. After about 10 minutes of play, the board resets to the green splash screen over and over. Just prior to that, I was getting extreme slow down on Metal Slug 2 (more than normal for that game). I tried switching cart position, but still same. Also getting 5.2 v at the edge connector. If I turn the cab off for about 30 minutes, it plays again for a few minutes before the problem returns. When I got the board, I immediately replaced the battery and installed a NEO Savemasta onboard memory card. Other than that its using a stock bios. My guess that as the board warms up, I'm getting a bad connection somewhere (cold solder joint?). Currently I only have a 161 cart to test with. I have a couple legit carts on the way. Any ideas?

Last edited:

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Maybe the board is not resetting itself, but the cart is crashing. Without a unibios, it may not be easy to see the difference. Try cleaning the slots, and if possible, install a unibios. Trying it with a different, original cart may help understand the issue better.

Regards.

NEgO MANIAC

Sieger's Squire
15 Year Member
I installed an unibios and cleaned all the slots with deoxit. Still have the same resetting issues after 10 minutes of play on the 161 cart. Hopefully I get my legit carts this week to test with those.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
How many watts is your power supply? The power supply is definitely what I would look at if you're still getting resets with real carts.

NEgO MANIAC

Sieger's Squire
15 Year Member
How many watts is your power supply? The power supply is definitely what I would look at if you're still getting resets with real carts.
No idea, but it's the stock PSU that comes with the NEO 29.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
I've had similar symptoms (extreme slowdowns, resets) on a MV1ACHX that I got from China. It looks like some of the PLDs have been replaced with an insufficient speed-grade, but I haven't poked around it for real yet.

Are there any other repairs on your board?

NEgO MANIAC

Sieger's Squire
15 Year Member
I received a copy of Puzzle Bobble and Samurai Shodown 4 and the games ran fine. It has to be the 161 cart causing the trouble. Thanks for everyone’s input.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I received a copy of Puzzle Bobble and Samurai Shodown 4 and the games ran fine. It has to be the 161 cart causing the trouble. Thanks for everyone’s input.

I think all arcade power supplies have a pot to regulate the 5V output. Try measuring the output of your PS with a voltmeter while the board is running (be careful not to short anything out) and if it is lower than about 5.05V, then step it up very slowly until you reach the desired voltage. These things can take upto 5.15V with no problems, but 5.05 should be OK.

Regards.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Niiice!

He already checked it and is getting 5.2v.