Fatal Fury (MVS) sound issue

Reaperman

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I'm having some issues with my MVS Fatal Fury and horribly scratchy sound.

The boards appear legit.
I've tested it in 2 different mvs units with the same results.
It passes the testing in unibios.
I've cleaned the contacts, with alcohol/eraser, but the thing looks suspiciously new inside.

Nothing jumped out as being a bad solder joint.

Could you guys help narrow my search a bit? Below is a big pic and a video of the issue.

Last edited:

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
So the unibios CRC check only verifies the P Rom data. Most likely the M1 ROM is bad, or has a broken solder joint. Using a multimeter you can check the continuity on each leg of the M1 rom to the cart edge connector. If that checks out, I'd look into replacing your M1 rom with a new eprom.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
It may be the M1 ROM (EPROM in your cart), the V ROMs, or solder/traces that these chips use. I'd reflow all the solders on those chips, then check traces. If issue is still present, take the chips out and test them against MAME set.

Reaperman

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Thanks, sounds like M1's traces look like as good a starting point as any. In the picture, I notice a black blob across one that warrants some closer inspection, but that's a job for tomorrow.

Supposing I have to pull a chip and read/write/replace it--is there a good thread where I can check on exactly what I'll need to buy and do?
I've got enough arcade stuff that at some point, I'm going to need to know how to do this.
Fatal Fury seems like the perfect game to figure this all out on, being kind of inexpensive and common.