RetroElectronik supergun board with sfx power supply? Or suzo happ?s

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
New to this supergun thing, but have a few questions.

Would an SFX power supply w/ 24 pin connector be a logical choice? I'd like to go SFX vs ATX just to save size (I know its more $ but I'd rather throw an extra $20 to save size vs save the $20)

Alternatively, if I got a suzo happ power supply, how would that connect? The ones I’ve seen have molex style connectors on them that aren’t in the 24 pin configuration. Just splice and screw into +/- 5 and 12v on the retroelectronik board?

I’ve got some time to decide since the supergun board hasn’t shipped yet, but I wanted to order up my supplies to be ready to assemble and build the case when the supergun board arrives, but I want to do the project correctly (well as correctly as someone can that doesn’t want to make their own supergun board)

Thanks guys

Last edited:

segasonicfan

Camel Slug
yeah, thats complete overkill for a SG. you might actually have issues with loading the 5V rails with enough juice. ATXs are a bad idea for SGs - their power rails are usually poorly filtered, usually have lots of noise, and they have a high failure rate. ATXs are designed for LOTs of power at a small price. Not good for a quality SG which will play expensive vintage PCBs imo.

-Segasonicfan

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I’ll see how the sfx plays out and if I’m not satisfied / it’s problematic I’ll most likely switch over to an arcade psu and just wire it into the supergun board.

Its probably going to be an evolving build. Getting into the whole supergun world, so I know I’ll end up changing things out overtime like I do with all my hobbies lol.

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll monitor the 5v rail and see how consistent the draw is over time

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I also have a 90watt pico power supply sitting around I can give a go as well, since it’s a spare. Might be an option vs the 450watter

ovalfastlx

Kuroko's Training Dummy
New to this supergun thing, but have a few questions.

Would an SFX power supply w/ 24 pin connector be a logical choice? I'd like to go SFX vs ATX just to save size (I know its more $ but I'd rather throw an extra $20 to save size vs save the $20)

Alternatively, if I got a suzo happ power supply, how would that connect? The ones I’ve seen have molex style connectors on them that aren’t in the 24 pin configuration. Just splice and screw into +/- 5 and 12v on the retroelectronik board?

I’ve got some time to decide since the supergun board hasn’t shipped yet, but I wanted to order up my supplies to be ready to assemble and build the case when the supergun board arrives, but I want to do the project correctly (well as correctly as someone can that doesn’t want to make their own supergun board)

Thanks guys
I used both ATX and arcade psu on that supergun. They ATX side uses a power switch that's installed on the board for ON/Off. if you use a suzo happ type power supply, then you need to Install a power switch.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk