Process of freigting and restoring 6 slot neogeo destination Hawaii IT'S ALIVE

8bitForLife

Crazed MVS Addict
Im new to this all so no idea what to look for but with that pic and youtube the guy on klov said it could be rebuilt.

Something got moved around? there's only the neck board, anode cap and yoke wires. None of those should have moved at all! but easy to fix if that's the case... have you checked it out yourself first? You only need a hairline crack in the neck of the tube man... :(

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Anyone want to place odds on 8bitforlife electrocuting himself?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Neck looks fine from that video you sent me, hard to tell because most of the neck is obscured anyway. When you turn the cabinet on does the neck glow? it should have an orange glow in the neck nearest to the neck PCB.

If there is no glow then there are many reasons why... the troubleshooting begins.

It is possible cold solder joints have surfaced from it's lengthy and I suspect vibration filled journey.

8bitForLife

Crazed MVS Addict
No glow at all. It has a vert line in middle of screen. I can see metal slug playing on the one line.

ovalfastlx

Kuroko's Training Dummy
The trip to the islands took its toll on that monitor. I had my Astro City for 350 plus miles riding in the back of the silverado at 80mph and it everything survived but it's another thing to travel on boat. Good luck dude hope you get that sorted out.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tech&Music

Another Striker
Board rebuild fixes that?

The CRT still displaying something is at least showing that the tube didn't get destroyed during shipping, so the problem is likely with the board, and a (proper) repair/replacement should fix it.

Sounds like vertical collapse.

Yup that's what I'm thinking too. You are in a better spot than I was starting out. Mine came with a tube yoke that wouldn't match to a Wells Gardner (it came with a crappy Kortek chassis).. so Buffet had to hook me up with a complete replacement. In your case you could probably just get a new chassis rebuilt for around 100$ and swap it out. Then you can try repairing the old chassis yourself to start learning how to work on these things.

Also I noticed in your video you have a pair of black and white wires going to a molex connector that's not going to anything. That should be going to your isolation transformer. Look for another white/black pair coming from the bottom of the cabinet to plug it into. Even with more "modern" self-grounded chassis, if I have a connection to an isolation transformer I go ahead and hook it up. Better safe than sorry.

8bitForLife

Crazed MVS Addict
I tried to warn you... Hope you can get it fixed though.

well once i get the monitor fixed. There is the process of figuring out wtf the guy who owned it before was thinking. It looks like he put ether a shity black paint on side because its peeling off or a crappy black vinyl. There is also seems like exact'o knife cuts on the sides or its how the cab is. Its going to take a lot of sanding and goof off. My main worry with it is its a little bit frazzled near the t molding. I'm thinking ether t molding got old and shrunk a little or water damage from sucking up moisture? Also in front they put instaled 2 big loops and my guess is for tamper proof bars. I gotta get rid of them then fill hole with bondo. The coin mech seems ok but it doesnt light anymore so im thinking ether replace the bulbs and see if that works or just replace the whole thing from something from happ or twisted. The coin covers are faded from sun. I well have to drill out all locks as I dont want to have to unscrew panels to get to it every time.

But monitor first.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
So you knew about all the other problems and still bought the cab?

8bitForLife

Crazed MVS Addict
So you knew about all the other problems and still bought the cab?
Well i knew it would take work and no i didnt see the sides. Its really not bad just some sanding bondo and primer then paint then decals.

Its worth it to me neogeo was ny childhood even though i never owned a home console. Iv spent many many hours on the machines in arcades. Bbstars 2 at the peppermil in reno and kotm1/2 in carson city at the golden nugget

Last edited:
Anyways guy sent new chasis yesterday so hopefully end of this week or early next week

Be extremely careful and take your time plugging up the new chassis. If something doesn't match up or make sense.. just stop what you are doing and ask questions. Take pictures every time you unplug or plug something in. Make sure the chassis has a connection to the isolation transformer! The neck of the tube can be very fragile so be gentle when removing the old neckbeard and putting the new on.

godzilla43

Geese's Thug
Congratulations. I don't know if I would have the courage or energy to change chassis on my cabinets even thou I have owned my cabinets for couple years now and know lot more than before buying my cabinets cos one day might have to fix something. hopefully something easy and simple. knock in wood..

Last edited:

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
Working neogeo 6 slot
Spoiler:

How i feel right now
[omit]
I well need to mess with some convergence strips but its working and each slot to boot.
I am a happy camper.
FIXED! :D
the links go to tube no issue, just they are in feature mode, and doesn't display on my end unless corrected.
have fun.
source for relevant:
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu4PG-lSZN0