Process of freigting and restoring 6 slot neogeo destination Hawaii IT'S ALIVE

8bitForLife

Crazed MVS Addict
Might be getting a 6 slot cabinet i live in hawaii but the cabinet is 2 hours from my father in san jose. Has anyone shipped something like this to hawaii and knows how to?

Also the coin slot graphics is peeling off around the coin slot.
Ill need to know also what paint color to use for yge red.
Is there a place to get a new control panel for 6 slot if its bigger thsn a 4 slot. Iv seen 4 slot panels on ebay.
Is the artwork on the side bigger than normal or could i just the artwork floating around on the web and itll be fine?

But the major question atm is shipping.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
You will need to liaise with a freight company in San Jose to ship the cabinet over. You may need to pack it ready on a pallet or perhaps they'll do it for you for a fee, this is going to cost you a fuckload buddy.

Last edited:

8bitForLife

Crazed MVS Addict
You will need to liaise with a a freight company in San Jose to ship the cabinet over. You may need to pack it ready on a pallet or perhaps they'll do it for you for a free, this is going to cost you a fuckload buddy.

I know its been a dream of mine. And i just secured it 850 for it. Dad is going to pick it up next week. The memory card slot is also faded. So thats going to have to be fixed. Im so freaking excited i cant denie it. Lol

8bitForLife

Crazed MVS Addict
Btw can they be put on their side for like 2 hours? If not ill have to rent a uhaul for 4 hours

Gog

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
While I’ve never owned a Neo cab specifically, I’ve moved plenty of arcade cabs over long distances (the longest was about 6 hours) in the back of my estate car with the rear seats down. As long as they’re secure and you’re not driving like a manic over treacherous terrain you’ll be OK.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
While I’ve never owned a Neo cab specifically, I’ve moved plenty of arcade cabs over long distances (the longest was about 6 hours) in the back of my estate car with the rear seats down. As long as they’re secure and you’re not driving like a manic over treacherous terrain you’ll be OK.

Have you put it on a boat and sailed the pacific ocean? :scratch:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Nope, but have been tempted to hollow one out for canoeing and to help survive a flood.

I can see the merit in that. Theres a large tree near my house worthy of carving a canoe from but there is no floods here.

8bitForLife

Crazed MVS Addict
Would anybody have deminsions on a 6 slot neogeo big red? I need deminsions to get a quote.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Would anybody have deminsions on a 6 slot neogeo big red? I need deminsions to get a quote.

Well it's going to probably be on a standard skid, so roughly 42"x48"x76". Guessing the 6 slot is close to 6' tall and add a couple inches for the skid. I'd guess weight @ 500#s. You could say 450# maybe if you wanna save a little money but if they reweigh it and it's not what you say you'll get a nice charge. Your NMFC should be 100 (motor freight class).

You also want to see if they can band the cabinet to the skid and shrink wrap the shit out it.

8bitForLife

Crazed MVS Addict
Ok i just found someone in bay area to look at the monitor and calibrate it.

Photo-of-rubber-ducks-in-a-row.jpg

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I wouldn't have it "calibrated" before it goes on a truck, to a boat, to another truck and in your house. Just sayin'

8bitForLife

Crazed MVS Addict
I wouldn't have it "calibrated" before it goes on a truck, to a boat, to another truck and in your house. Just sayin'
Im understand but i kind of have too since i live on kauai and theres nobody here that works on monitors anymore. So im going to have him recap it and calibrate it

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Might be getting a 6 slot cabinet i live in hawaii but the cabinet is 2 hours from my father in san jose. Has anyone shipped something like this to hawaii and knows how to?

Also the coin slot graphics is peeling off around the coin slot.
Ill need to know also what paint color to use for yge red.
Is there a place to get a new control panel for 6 slot if its bigger thsn a 4 slot. Iv seen 4 slot panels on ebay.
Is the artwork on the side bigger than normal or could i just the artwork floating around on the web and itll be fine?

But the major question atm is shipping.

This is a terrible idea on many levels.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
massive 6 slot cab with a monitor that needs calibration, graphics that need replacement, control panel that might need replacement and to top it off you're getting it shipped to Hawaii.

Is there literally no arcade cabinets in Hawaii?

8bitForLife

Crazed MVS Addict
massive 6 slot cab with a monitor that needs calibration, graphics that need replacement, control panel that might need replacement and to top it off you're getting it shipped to Hawaii.

Is there literally no arcade cabinets in Hawaii?
Not on my island of kauai. Iv even looked at craigslist off and on for all islands. Theres a place called funfactory but they dont have arcade cabinets anymore. They transitioned to kiddie ticket games and gun and race games.
I even emailed them to see if they had any sitting in a warehouse and they replied no.
My island they shoot a lot of movies at but its small.
Here are some pictures of the cab in question. Its not in bad shape.

s-l400 (1).jpgs-l400 (2).jpg
s-l400 (3).jpg
s-l400 (4).jpg
s-l400 (5).jpg
s-l400 (6).jpg
How would i secure the insides like the power supply area. Zip ties?

Heres some links i found on my hunt to restore. I had one fir just vinyl decals of the text for the side but cant find it anymore

http://www.surelight.com/el_panels/el-panel-neo-geo-marquee/neo-geo-el-panel-marquee.html
http://www.arcadeoverlays.com/search.php?search_query=neo+geo
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/382119025623
https://www.szabosarcades.com/search?q=Neo+geo

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
:keke: ^

Well good luck with it all anyway, you'll be the only one of the island with a neo geo cab!

8bitForLife

Crazed MVS Addict
New problem. Getting it through my doorway. If i cant im going to have to leave it in garage. Is there anyway to safely take it apart to move it inside. Or pay my uncle to widen the doorway

Maybe put it on a sturdy piece of plywood with a sheet and angle it around as it goes through

Last edited:

SNK416

King's Dry Cleaner
Id go the uncle route over the taking the cab apart.... Make sure you measure both door and all of the cab forehand. I have a candy cab that didn't fit in the room it was intended for.

- Everything in the power supply section should already be held in place by screws. That PSU looks a bit old.. might be worth spending 20$ for a new one when you get the cabinet. The MAIN thing you have to make sure that is secure is the monitor. It must stay in place when the cab is leaned both backwards (preferable) or forwards (a no-no, but it happens)

- As far as cosmetics.. that black spray paint job looks horrid. I would try to clean that layer away to reveal the original, red paint. I personally strongly prefer faded yet original over shiny but un-original but that's up to you of course.

- And no, you won't be taking the cabinet apart unless you take the monitor out and do an awful hack job with a crowbar or something. You'll end up ruining it. Perhaps you can just take the door off the hinges you are trying to get it through?

- Also, you mention monitor work needing to be done.. I'd let the guy that has it do a capkit. Also replace the flyback if it's buzzing or giving flakey results. However, I'd strongly recommend you learn basics of adjusting and repairing CRT monitors yourself for the future. Something will always fail eventually and while intimidating at first it's not as complicated as it seems. That thing uses a 25 inch screen which is kind of an oddball. I had a nightmare of a time acquiring a "total replacement" for mine once I realized the crap job that had previously been done to it. Maybe you can find some old junk to work on as practice such as non-working cheap game for sale in your area you don't have much interest in actually playing.

- Why are you asking about the control panel? It looks a little beat up but fine to me.

- These things are VERY top-heavy. If you do manage to get it to your area, bring not one but 2 friends to help you move it so that someone can always keep the upper end in check.

- Another side tip.. if the PCB in that cabinet still has the original game data save battery on it, REMOVE IT and clean the area well with alcohol. They are notorious for leaking acid and destroying traces on the board.

Congrats on the new machine. Hope it works out.

8bitForLife

Crazed MVS Addict
My cab in san jose next to my step brother
Going to ship for 500 but i need to wrap and pallet it.
2806.jpeg

Last edited: