Thread: Games reacting weirdly due to voltage on a supergun?

Krauser's Shoe Shiner

Games reacting weirdly due to voltage on a supergun?

I recently picked up a RetroElectronick Supergun board, and it works fine, but I noticed that some of my game boards don't react normally..

The supergun is powered by an Corsair 450w PSU, it's connected directly to the supergun's atx 24 pins connector.

I left the hobby for several years ago, but kept my boards in a safe place, so they werent left in a shitty shed outside. They all worked perfectly on the numerous cabs I owned.

Atomiswave works fine
    Neo-geo works fine
    Tekken 3 and Soul Calibur works fine.

My legit non-bootleg Cabal board works, but the game boots straight to a black screen that says CREDITS 99. The game isn't set to free play mode. The game used to boot to a laughing skull head with the cabal logo. Now it boots straight to the credits 99 black screen. The gameplay works fine

Primal Rage acts weirdly too. The directional controls don't work, and I can't access the service menu. When I trigger it, the screen becomes garbled for a second, and it returns to the title screen. When you play.. the text "DEMO MODE" flashes on screen, the directions are disabled but the buttons works. The CPU barely reacts and when it hits you, you don't lose energy. That's pretty weird.

The voltmeter on the supergun says that it gets around 5.10 or 5.08, depending on the board, which seems high.

I don't think there is a way to adjust voltage on an atx powersupply? I'm surprised nobody came up with a solution if there isn't a way.

I found a random arcade psu I had left from my cab collecting days, it's a Wey-ya (?) powersupply and it looks pretty cheap. I'm not sure I want to risk damaging my boards with it, but then again I don't think it appreciates having higher than normal voltages being sent out to it.

Perhaps there is a way on the supergun itself? The thing came in with no manual and they ignored my message when I wrote them.

Any solutions?
    Shuri approved class acts of neo-geo.com:
    mjmjr25, alberto1225, Terot, Fox1 and at the top: Xian Xi

I wish my name
    IRL... Was Rich.
    SCOOPIN' USA!
    Isle of the Vewlix, in the Castle of Scoops

You cannot adjust the 5v on the atx psu, and don't use a wei-ya, those things are trash. I got a new weiya and it died after 2 weeks.

Believes WWF is Real.
    Cocaine is a
    Helluva Drug.

5.10v is not abnormally high. Most recommendations are not to go much higher than that, however. I would start by testing the voltage on the boards when they're powered on to make sure the reading on the meter is accurate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Famicommander View Post
    Unify the IWGP Heavyweight, Jr Heavyweight...
    Spoiler:

drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.

This is where the problem lies in these little supergun units. You have to use an atx power supply (bad idea) or wire up your own adjustable supply to an atx connector which is funny because you likely bought the supergun as you don't know how to make your own.

!!

Rasputin's Rose Gardener

The Retroelectronik will let you use a standard arcade power supply instead of the ATX, so definitely swap over to a high quality adjustable arcade power supply like a Suzo Happ Power Pro.

And +1 on the advice to check the power output of the SuperGun on the JAMMA edge with a multimeter to make sure the meter is accurate.

Krauser's Shoe Shiner

Thanks for the input, I'm going to get a suzo power pro instead. I just tried P.O.W and i'm experiencing weird random black bars artifacts. Even the title screen will show "Prisoners of War" and then suddenly the letters 'of wars' get scrambled.

I'm going to order one and report in after.

I have earned the
    right to PM Rot.

I've used a Suzo Happ Power Pro with my HAS supergun for quite awhile with no problems. It's a great power supply.

Krauser's Shoe Shiner

I ended up ordering a suze happ psu, it works perfectly now.

I gotta say the Suze happ store isn't that great, you gotta have a minimum order of $50, and their shipping options for Canada are crazy expensive, AND I got hit by customs..

Oh well, I needed it anyway!

JammaNationX

Quote Originally Posted by Shuri View Post
    I ended up ordering a suze happ psu, it works perfectly now.

I gotta say the Suze happ store isn't that great, you gotta have a minimum order of $50, and their shipping options for Canada are crazy expensive, AND I got hit by customs..

Oh well, I needed it anyway!
    I think Cajun Arcade sells them as well as that's where I used to get them for the later end of of my superguns.

It might be that the ATX supply doesnt have enough amps, it can offer the 5v you need but the draw may be too heavy for it. +1 on the arcade PSU.
    Quote Originally Posted by DecepticonZero View Post
    I don't know why you're white knighting this guy, couldn't you buy the North Pole and have the elves build you anything you want?

Kyokugen's Student

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Panda View Post
    It might be that the ATX supply doesnt have enough amps, it can offer the 5v you need but the draw may be too heavy for it. +1 on the arcade PSU.
    Yep. Even if the levels look good if the amperage is short you'll have problems. 5.10 as measured at the JAMMA edge should work fantastic if the board is in working order (and enough amps on the PSU).

Thread Information