retro-access.com's PS2 SCART cable (CSync) build quality question

acblunden2

Rugal's Thug
Seems the AV fitting's build quality is less than I expected. There is up and down looseness on it. Under the weight of the cable, seems the cable's pins are lifted up and away from the contacts. Introduces line doubling in my setup. Suspending the cable so the weight doesn't pull it down from the fitting, then rebooting fixes this problem sometimes.

Anyone have this cable and can attest to the same looseness? Or do I have a defective cable? Might seek a return either way.

Last edited:

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Both my PS1/PS2 cables from RCA are tight on the connector.

Did you make sure there are no capacitors in your PS2 cable? Only PS1 should have caps.

I would definitely contact Retro Access, they will fix this for you.

acblunden2

Rugal's Thug
Thanks. Yeah. I think I will contact them then. I tried them on two different PS2's. Same looseness and line doubling. I can't seem to get it displaying correctly suspending the cable weight now either.

Mine came with the newer big connector as shown here. Does yours?

I need the caps since I will be using it for both the PSX and PS2. Good news is that the Saturn cable I ordered looks magnificent. But I guess that is to be expected.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Nah it doesn't have that big plug.

You need to keep in mind when you have capacitors in parallel with one another their total capacitance is halved which can cause voltage errors. From what I've read you usually want about 180-200ishuf of capacitance to combat this iirc. That is why almost every capacitor in the rgb lines of cables or on the boards of consoles themselves have these capacitors.

FireBrandX has even tested 1000 uf capacitors inside the ps2 scart cable and it still had a little bit of line curling at the top. At best 1000uf capacitors are a compromise for compatibility.

This is why my PS2 cable has no capacitors (I have a pretty dank monster component cable too), and PS1 has them. Best of luck fixing this

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61221

Last edited:

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Just wondering if you've already contacted Retro-Access, and gotten a reply from them...

As speaking for myself personally, especially when dealing with a company in the middle of our very, very small RGB retro gaming community, a company which has always treated their customers right (as I've personally experienced, along with reading about a ton of other members similar experiences), I might not have chosen to make a public post about my "unhappiness" with them before giving them a well deserved chance to address your concerns...

Last edited:

acblunden2

Rugal's Thug
Just wondering if you've already contacted Retro-Access, and gotten a reply from them...

As speaking for myself personally, especially when dealing with a company in the middle of our very, very small RGB retro gaming community, a company which has always treated their customers right (as I've personally experienced, along with reading about a ton of other members similar experiences), I might not have chosen to make a public post about my "unhappiness" with them before giving them a well deserved chance to address your concerns...

I contacted retro-access and am waiting for a response.

Also, statement noted and I have edited the OP accordingly.

Last edited:

acblunden2

Rugal's Thug
So the cable I got has caps in it as I did not specify to retro-access to not include them. Hooked up the PS1 with the cable and got the same artifact I have with the PS2. Probably just a bad cable. Waiting for retro-access.com to get back to me. But I will probably get a separate cable without the caps for the PS2.