Secret of Mana remake - the end of an era

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Could be worse. Could be what they did to FF5 and 6. THAT shit's an abomination.

ffvigarbage.jpg

that looks like those shitty overlay effects you get in emulators.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
that looks like those shitty overlay effects you get in emulators.

It is. If they had removed like one of the layers, it would've looked passable but now it just looks like smeared shit.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Has this been confirmed/announced?

https://www.usgamer.net/amp/the-secret-of-mana-remake-is-being-considered-for-the-nintendo-switch

Secret of Mana did get some love on the Switch in the form of the Seiken Densetsu Collection, which gathers up the original Seiken Densetsu game for the Game Boy ("Final Fantasy Adventure" in North America), Seiken Densetsu 2 (Secret of Mana), and Seiken Densetsu 3 (unreleased outside Japan) on one Switch cart. We've yet to see an English localization for this gathering of souls, but be assured Oyamada sees the demand.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Hmm, that's not very solid IMO. I need SqEnix to go all-in on this shit. I dont' even need a official translation. Take the existing translation and package it up on the Switch and I'll be happy.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
You're right, I looked it up and it was $14 at release. I think I got the $40 price from I Am Setsuna, which also sucked ass.

I Am Setsuna was bad? It's been one I've thought about picking up for a while but have not really heard many impressions on it.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Gamestop will do another run, open them up and sell them for 90 bucks in 6 months.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I wouldn't have minded the graphics much if it was a new sequel, but the fact that it's a remake of a game that looked better with almost no improvements (more accessable gameplay or menus or whatever) makes it pointless. I would still consider it out of curiousity had it been offered for much less than its $40 price.

I Am Setsuna was bad? It's been one I've thought about picking up for a while but have not really heard many impressions on it.

+ Good (but not great) story
+ 25 ~ 30 hours to 100% complete (which is a good length for me nowadays)
+ Quick battles and no random encounters (enemies are on screen)

- Snow everywhere
- Piano music is annoying, especially in the first parts
- too little side quests
- Price too steep

Note: I played with VA turned off, and I suggest everyone to do the same

I personally enjoyed it, where many of my friends found it boring. But I may have different standards when it comes to the genre:

Is the writing and story good?
Is the gameplay broken (too frequent encounters, too slow, too much grinding ....etc)?
Is the graphics too ugly to ignore?

If these points are covered, then I'm satisfied, and I rate the game based on how good the writing was. I don't care much about how good the graphics, OST and gameplay are in this genre.

Gamestop will do another run, open them up and sell them for 90 bucks in 6 months.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm interested in giving this version a try, but no way I'm gonna sink $40 on a digital game of this kind, let alone one I'm not sure about yet.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
This is how SquareEnix dies.

Morally, yes. Monetary, probably no.

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with remakes, especially if they are carefully reprogrammed like SotC. Still, it's strange that this game was chosen. Back in the day, its most important quality was the multiplayer. Today, the internet makes this historical feature irrelevant, even laughable, and I wouldn't suspect Square to have a sense of humor.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
The music is so goddamn awful. The intro track is great, but after that it just goes downhill.
Adventures of Mana's re-arranged music was great, but this is just trash.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
you can tell he was struggling to support it.
It's weird. A lot of reviews completely trash it then.....7/10

yeah, i like the guy, but the happy console gamer needs to stop liking games just for the sake of giving everything a good review.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
It wasn't bad as much as uninspired. It was trying to recreate that 16 bit rpg feeling, but it wasn't as good so it just made me wish I were playing better games. I lost interest want halfway through.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
It wasn't bad as much as uninspired. It was trying to recreate that 16 bit rpg feeling, but it wasn't as good so it just made me wish I were playing better games. I lost interest want halfway through.

This statement pretty much sums up my feelings about I Am Setsuna as well, and I stopped at about the same point as well. I was often reminded of Lost Odyssey when playing IAS, although LO just had a certain something that made it memorable for me.
I did just end up popping an RPG into the SNES after playing IAS, and I haven't been back to it since. Eventually I suppose...

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
This statement pretty much sums up my feelings about I Am Setsuna as well, and I stopped at about the same point as well. I was often reminded of Lost Odyssey when playing IAS, although LO just had a certain something that made it memorable for me.
I did just end up popping an RPG into the SNES after playing IAS, and I haven't been back to it since. Eventually I suppose...

Last Odyssey was one of the greatest RPGs last generation too. I plowed through that game like four times. Two of which were back to back.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Last Odyssey was one of the greatest RPGs last generation too. I plowed through that game like four times. Two of which were back to back.

I thought I was the only one. Panda's got good taste ;)

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
If you haven't played the fan translation of Tales of Phantasia on SNES it is absolutely worth it.

Steve

The Wonder Years,
If you haven't played the fan translation of Tales of Phantasia on SNES it is absolutely worth it.

ToPShot38.jpg

I'll never forget the first time I saw that. I damn near fell out of my chair.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Thanks for the heads up. I'm interested in giving this version a try, but no way I'm gonna sink $40 on a digital game of this kind, let alone one I'm not sure about yet.
I think he's referring to Gamestop's adventures a few years ago with Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii. But no reason to think it couldn't happen given what happened there.