Will SNK ever release another console?

neofreak696

King's Dry Cleaner
No I don't ever see it happening. I wish they would start making new games for the original Neo on the side, while still making new games for new consoles for profit. Obviously if they made AES carts again that wouldn't be enough profits on their own...

enix2093

Crazed MVS Addict
I'd put my money on Sega releasing a new console before SNK/Playmore. I wouldn't even consider the NGX an SNK release, because - correct me if I'm wrong - it wasn't even technically supported by them. Didn't SNK get mad at Tommo over the shit they pulled?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I'd put my money on Sega releasing a new console before SNK/Playmore. I wouldn't even consider the NGX an SNK release, because - correct me if I'm wrong - it wasn't even technically supported by them. Didn't SNK get mad at Tommo over the shit they pulled?

It's a piece of shit and tommo fucked it up royally. They would've been much better making a Neo Geo Mini instead of that terrible portable.

bello

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
Yes,with the new chinese owner i think SNK will release a new console (Neo Geo 2)or a portable one in 3 years!

samdiep

n00b
I second that opinion. It would be much simpler for them since they have all the tools already and their re-release on newer systems are emulators base anyways.
No I don't ever see it happening. I wish they would start making new games for the original Neo on the side, while still making new games for new consoles for profit. Obviously if they made AES carts again that wouldn't be enough profits on their own...

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Yes,with the new chinese owner i think SNK will release a new console (Neo Geo 2)or a portable one in 3 years!

You can always release a new console, but where's the merit in that? Those who made the old games and defined the old times are gone. Stop making consoles, make clouds, so we can at least yell at them.

enix2093

Crazed MVS Addict
Assuming the theoretical did happen and they did release a new console, they'd basically have to go either the Nintendo route and rely heavily on their 1st party titles to be the main draw for consumers to buy them since they have a pretty good array of IPs, and/or go balls out like with the AES and make it the most powerful thing on the planet at the time of release and risk making it over-priced in the process. I think the super-powered machine could MAYBE work only if they took the Apple route of also making it nice and shiny metallic to draw in the fru-fru crowd....otherwise, they'd have to hope their 1st party lineup would be draw enough to get people on board. I'm not sure that could even work in this day and age though since most of their lineup is fighters.

Damulta

Armored Scrum Object
Neogeo 2 would bring side-scrolling to a new level. Especially if they made him in an old way, with the new way.

Sega Rhea

n00b
I remember a ton of people on Atari Age trying to defend the Neo Geo X and pretend it wasn't a giant pile of shit.

... and then quietly listing their systems six months later in the for sale section as if they never protected it from critique.

enix2093

Crazed MVS Addict
I mean, it's not a total loss... if you hack the shit out of it.

Sega Rhea

n00b
I mean, it's not a total loss... if you hack the shit out of it.

In a way, sure. But then what honestly sets it apart from just using a PC with emulation or a Raspberry Pi for a fraction the price? You can make those X controllers work on PC, so unless you really want a terribly flawed, cheap feeling, and quality issue riddled portable, why spring all that cash for such a device?

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Well, an official, made in China, Neo-Geo Mini Classic would definitely hit the nerve. It should support the X boards, they were the best thing about the NGX anyway. The whole package would be rounded by a previously unreleased game from the SNK archives, an additional Special Limited Ed. with art work crap en masse and support for NG:DEV.TEAM games.

NeoGeo64

Zero's Secretary
Well, guess I have my answer now! Can't wait to get my hands on a NG Mini.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
In a way, sure. But then what honestly sets it apart from just using a PC with emulation or a Raspberry Pi for a fraction the price? You can make those X controllers work on PC, so unless you really want a terribly flawed, cheap feeling, and quality issue riddled portable, why spring all that cash for such a device?

better yet, a psp, if you are going to go portable anyways which is what the Neo Geo X really was. The hub thing was more of a (shitty) bonus.

I would be happy with a mini AES similar to the snes classic for about a 100 bucks. Anything more and I'll pass.