Will SNK ever release another console?

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
More chance of apple doing another console, and that's pretty much zero.

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
I suppose the upcoming NG DEV TEAM arcade/ home system will be the closest to that we're gonna get. While that's neither a true Neo 2 nor made by SNK it could turn out to be something really amazing, with hopefully fantastic 2D pixel action. We'll see.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
There's more of a chance that we see MOTW2 or SSVS Perfect in some fashion than a new console release and even that is unlikely.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
At this point, unless they release another "classic game bundle" style item like the Neo-Geo X, I'd say the chances are completely nil. If they did the former again, it would require a licensing agreement with a different company to manufacture them, as they don't have the capital or wherewithall to handle the hardware internally. Since the Neo-Geo X was a total fiasco, I don't think they're keen to try again.

Consider that they're making good money on ports of their games to the Switch, which basically is a Neo Geo X done right both in concept and execution (that and that whole "play awesome Nintendo games on it and we don't have to be involved with the hardware at all" aspect).

As for completely new, modern hardware, good luck competing with the Switch, PS4, XBone, and PCs in a market that requires you to be a super mega company to manufacture and support console hardware. They'd also need a lot of third party support, and something that would make them stand out from the competition. So yeah, totally not happening. SNK is software only from now on, full stop.

Last edited:

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
They definitely never will. SNK was an arcade company that specialized in making arcade cabinets, a market that is dead. The neo geo console was more of an experiment/gimmick for hardcore fans of the arcade system. It was never meant to be economically viable.

The R & D for consoles is now enormous and even nintendo can barely keep up and have to be very creative. The shell that is SNK Playmore will never ever release a Neo Geo 2. Ever.

-SD-

Camel Slug
I’m hoping the new Chinese owners will try to tap the retro market again, but do it properly this time with proper bang-on emulation or even an FPGA (although this could make it too expensive, I don’t know). The mini Nintendo consoles are incredibly popular, and I’m sure a Neo Geo one would do well too as long as it’s done correctly.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Jesus fuck, not this topic.. AGAIN

antmavel

n00b
Given what is happening these days SNK mini would be an obviius choice but not sure about who own the rights at this stage.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
My uncles friend works at SNK and he told me the Neo Geo 2 is coming out next year...it's based on the SNES CD molds and incorporates Panasonic M2 technology! Exciting lolol

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
there's no point in making a game console. Games reach more players, especially children, on mobile devices, tablets, and computers now.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
My uncles friend works at SNK and he told me the Neo Geo 2 is coming out next year...it's based on the SNES CD molds and incorporates Panasonic M2 technology! Exciting lolol

Is your uncle's friend Mike Kennedy?

bello

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member

Awesome news:lol:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
no.
and there's a good chance no one will release another console.
just streaming boxes.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
No.

Not unless they get the rights to Naruto and Dragon Ball and create a console where those games are exclusive. No one gives 2 shits about MOTW, Last blade, Samurai Shodown, and KOF but the people here. Even then, I don't think some of us even play Neo Geo.

poulet

Quiz Detective
I think they have to release a vs fighting 2d like motw2 or last blade 3. It might be a huge call for retrogamers. But it's 3d time.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
...and I think that both LB3 & MotW2 could from now on be used as current abbreviations for Brecht's Sankt-Nimmerleins-Tag.