Will SNK ever release another console?

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Perhaps a Huawei media-player for SNKflix, including support for smartphones and tablets, digital media players, video game consoles and smart TVs, plus mobile apps on Android or iOS to cache content on their devices & in-flight Wi-Fi.

Tha Future Is Now|PLAY NOW!!!

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
why would they?. sega is more likely to bring out a console and even that's almost an impossibility. snk is and always was an arcade name. there just isn't enough demand for arcade style games in this day and age for another console from snk.

plus snk just doesn't have the resources to make enough games to support a console let alone the console itself.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
SNK already tried bringing something else to the table and that was the Hyper Neo Geo 64, it failed terribly and there went any hopes for a 2nd generation SNK home console. Maybe they shouldn't of brought it out so late, maybe it should've been a 2D machine instead.

Hine62

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I have to say no to a console. There is more profit in making software for existing consoles or iOS/android. Even a PC game is more of a possibility at this point.

A better question might be: When will the MVS/AES system be remade like a Retron5? A Kickstarter project for this would be interesting.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Maybe they shouldn't of brought it out so late, maybe it should've been a 2D machine instead.

oh man, a second 2d machine from snk that was a lot more capable than the og aes would of been sweet.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
oh man, a second 2d machine from snk that was a lot more capable than the og aes would of been sweet.

Funny you say that, from what I've read the Hyper could handle almost unlimited sprites and with all that extra RAM... it was a Neo Geo on steroids. Pity it wasn't taken advantage of though I guess the 3D hype of the time took over.

NeoLucian

New Challenger
I personally cannot see them investing the time and resources into a new console when they can continue to release old games on new systems for much cheaper.
Its a shame but I cant see how a new console would be economically viable after the R&D costs.

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
I have no faith in SNK releasing any hardware worthwhile, but I'd love it if Kevtris releases a Neo Geo core for the Super Nt like he did with 8-bit cores for the Nt Mini. I think people are expecting him to since he's stated that his Zimba 3000 console will have a Neo core. What would be even better, IMHO, is if Analogue released a "Neo Nt" styled after the AES, full-featured, with RGB and HDMI outs. I gotta think it would sell really well, given the track record of the current products.

Last edited:

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Will there ever be a Last Blade 3?
:spock:

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
SNK doesn't exist.

SNK Corp might release one, but why would they want to?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
SNK doesn't exist.

SNK Corp might release one, but why would they want to?

You do realize the original SNK was "SNK Corporation", right? They were replaced by SNK Playmore for a long while, only recently has that company retitled themselves as "SNK Corporation" again.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
pretty sure they're working on the dreamcast 2 with sega.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
My sources tell me that they are developing a Neo Geo X2 console - this one will be scented so it can double as an air freshener when you take it to the shitter.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
You do realize the original SNK was "SNK Corporation", right? They were replaced by SNK Playmore for a long while, only recently has that company retitled themselves as "SNK Corporation" again.

Yes, the point was to distinguish the two, I suppose I could have called them SNKP since that's basically what the current iteration sprang from.

Maybe Irem can release a home console.

Dr. Meat

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
The whole point of the NGH was to bring arcade perfect games to the home. The PS4/Bone/Switch are all perfectly capable of that now since modern arcades are just mid-to-low range PCs stuffed in a cabinet. It'd be pointless for them to release a console that'd have next to zero marketshare and still release on all of the contemporary platforms. It doesn't accomplish anything as much as we'd all like the glory days of SNK to return.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Because the Neo Geo X, Neo Geo Pocket Color, Neo Geo Pocket, Hyper Neo Geo 64, and Neo Geo CD just fucking printed money, right?

Shakepants

Crossed Swords Squire
No.

But..I have this dream that somebody does a Kickstarter supported by SNK to produce 2D stuff on the Hyper 64. That would be something. Will it happen. Nope.