Sonic 2 - All Chaos Emeralds - Can you do it?

Can you do it?

• Total voters

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I rarely buy virtual console ports / emulations of games that I already physically own. But I heard that the M2 version of Sonic 2 is great. And it is. And it has a save state, so I used the save state feature to get all of the chaos emeralds. It took me so many tries that I can't imagine anyone actually pulling this off without cheating with save states. Can you do it?

Don't just sit there and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, do it right away. Do it when you can. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.
-Sonic the Hedgehog

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I've done it twice in my life, once when the game first came out, then again about 20 years ago. There's no way I could do it now.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Did it last year- Went through sonic 1-3 and had a blast.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i got all the emeralds in all the og games on the sonic jams collection for the saturn. not that hard to be honest. the thing is, some things look hard when you take the easy way out and think you may not be able to do it if you wasn't using cheats or what ever. but i've collected all the emeralds many times back in the day. it may take a couple of tries for level memorisation but it's highly doable.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've done it several times. It's a lot easier if you pick Sonic by himself, the stages are a lot harder with Tails. It's really not too difficult in 2 since there are so many checkpoint balloons in the first two stages you can have most of the emeralds before the even fight Robotnik first time.

The bad part is if you collect all the emeralds too early the rest of the game sucks just running through it with Super Sonic. And it's a looong game.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
The bad part is if you collect all the emeralds too early the rest of the game sucks just running through it with Super Sonic. And it's a looong game.

true, but that's how like to play it. there's always trying to get 50 rings to turn into super sonic and trying to get to the end of the stage while still as super sonic.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Yeah, to me it just seems like it takes too long to memorize all the levels. Tails definitely screwed things up for me most of the time, so maybe just using Sonic is what I should do.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
No because I despise the special stages in Sonic 2, they infuriate me. I'd rather get all the chaos emeralds in Sonic 3 & Knuckles or all the time stones in Sonic CD, now those have good special stages.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I did it several times on Sonic 1, but not on Sonic 2 (however I completed the game). I have never even completed sonic 3 :( Also, there should be an option "I've never tried" on the poll.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I did it several times on Sonic 1, but not on Sonic 2 (however I completed the game). I have never even completed sonic 3 :( Also, there should be an option "I've never tried" on the poll.

Sonic 3 is great! Plus it has a save feature, so it's much more manageable to finish as an adult :lolz:. I definitely recommend it.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
Sonic 3 is great! Plus it has a save feature, so it's much more manageable to finish as an adult :lolz:. I definitely recommend it.

i remember really enjoying the save feature back in the day. that was a new thing back then.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Yes, it's actually much easier than 'get'm all' Kaosu Emerarudos in the first Sonic -- the second has one level extra to achieve this and the half-pipes rely more on control, less on luck. Those psychodelica LSD bonus stages in the first game are the best from the entire series, though.

poutine

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I've done it several times. It's a lot easier if you pick Sonic by himself, the stages are a lot harder with Tails.

Yup, unless you've got a friend who can play as Tails, then it's super easy. So long as they know what they are doing. You can have one run one side of rings while you do the other.

Last time I played Sonic 2 it was on Sonic Jam on the Sega Saturn. I kinda cheated if I lost a special stage - you can abc restart and go to the start of the level again with no problems.

I only realised when replaying Sonic 3 last year how much easier we had it in Europe during the maze special stages - that 17.5 % PAL speed decrease gives you lots more thinking time.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I rarely buy virtual console ports / emulations of games that I already physically own. But I heard that the M2 version of Sonic 2 is great. And it is. And it has a save state, so I used the save state feature to get all of the chaos emeralds. It took me so many tries that I can't imagine anyone actually pulling this off without cheating with save states. Can you do it?
-Sonic the Hedgehog
The save states (that newer versions of old games have) make games too easy.
It's not really that hard to get all the emeralds in Sonic 2. You just have to memorize the patterns, of where the rings and bombs are going to be. You learn to anticipate it.
Only the final boss on Sonic 2 really has challenge to it, and you can't do it as Super Sonic. Super Sonic makes most of the game too easy to beat.
The only hard platformers are Super Mario Bros The Lost Levels (especially the Japanese Famicom version of it), Ghouls N' Ghosts, Magician Lord.
Most of the rest of them are easy.

sparksterz

Camel Slug
I've only ever done it once with both Sonic and CPU Tails. It was a bitch. Solo sonic is the way to go lol.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Pretty sure when i was a kid i did all the Sonic trilogy games with chaos emeralds, all characters multiple times.

I dont know if it was ever THAT hard so yeah probably could still do it. Outside of Sonic CD like 5 years ago, i havent spent any real time with a Sonic game since Sonic Jam on Saturn so who knows....

Ip Man

15 Year Member
Pretty sure when i was a kid i did all the Sonic trilogy games with chaos emeralds, all characters multiple times.

I dont know if it was ever THAT hard so yeah probably could still do it. Outside of Sonic CD like 5 years ago, i havent spent any real time with a Sonic game since Sonic Jam on Saturn so who knows....

sonic jam was so sweet. i remember spending hours just watching the sonic commercials.

LadyVamp

Camel Slug
I did it with Sonic 2. That was my favorite of the series, so, I tried really hard. I didn't get all of them with the other games. New mission in life, I guess.

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object
It's been quite a while since I've tried, honestly. I would have to get some practice in to do it again, but probably could manage it again.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I played through this one last week, couldn't get all the emerald's but still a fantastic game.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
I've gotten damn close, but I end up messing up and getting frustrated. I know if I put some real time into it I could do it. Might have to give a shot once I burn a good chunk of PTO.

Totino

n00b
I can't say I've ever tried. I'm not much into trying to 100% stuff so long as I can still beat the game. To each their own I guess.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I currently struggle to get all them stones in Sonic 3. Those checkered globes mazes are tough and with jumping being strongly required, it gets even tougher. The Quix mechanic is cleverly used and the Brandish-like turns of infuriating nature. All in all, a classy 'game within a game' to beat.