China doing consolized MVS

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
Definitely start with something low risk.

When I started, I grabbed some old non-working PCBs (not arcade, I can't remember what they were, random computer junk), removed all the components and soldered them again.
It was a total disaster for the first few times, but after getting some solid advice from my father and looking at some youtube vids, my skills definitely improved.

If you want to get into this hobby, I would definitely recommend getting some soldering skills, especially if you are a cheap ass and don't want to pay 50 bucks to have a couple of resistors soldered on a board.

abathur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Definitely start with something low risk.

When I started, I grabbed some old non-working PCBs (not arcade, I can't remember what they were, random computer junk), removed all the components and soldered them again.
It was a total disaster for the first few times, but after getting some solid advice from my father and looking at some youtube vids, my skills definitely improved.

If you want to get into this hobby, I would definitely recommend getting some soldering skills, especially if you are a cheap ass and don't want to pay 50 bucks to have a couple of resistors soldered on a board.

Thanks, I'll look into that. I work in the computer industry and have tons of items to tinker with here. Guess I could try something with a video card or so.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
Try your hand on something *very* old, as newer ones are just a bunch of SMD components which you really don't want to mess with. You want to learn with through-hole components first as they are much easier, it will teach you the basics. SMD soldering is an entirely different thing.

mistahsnart

New Challenger
Live dangerously: I taught my self to solder building my first CMVS. Had a few 'oh shit' moments, but it was a success.

abathur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Live dangerously: I taught my self to solder building my first CMVS. Had a few 'oh shit' moments, but it was a success.

You're braver than I am. I don't even have the tools, and wouldn't know what kind of items to get for soldering electronics.

abathur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
A soldering iron and solder.

Oh, really? I've seen models with all sorts of different tips, various temperature ranges (90C - 480C), 30-60W ... sets between 10 and 70 bucks. Lots of options.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Oh, really? I've seen models with all sorts of different tips, various temperature ranges (90C - 480C), 30-60W ... sets between 10 and 70 bucks. Lots of options.

40W max, better something like 25 or 30 if you work on thin vias. Start with a cheap one but good brand (Weller comes to mind IMO). Do not use conical tip, use a flat one like 1-1.5mm width.

abathur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
40W max, better something like 25 or 30 if you work on thin vias. Start with a cheap one but good brand (Weller comes to mind IMO). Do not use conical tip, use a flat one like 1-1.5mm width.

Yeah, conical tips blow. Wedge tips make life so much easier.

Thanks guys. Will check this out when I have some time to kill :)

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I had always used cheapass 40w mains powered irons and recently upgraded to a Weller WESD51... wow what a fucking difference I literally cannot go back now.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Hakko FX-888D is where it's at. Cough up a hundred bucks ya cheap bastards ;)

Tech&Music

Another Striker
If you want to go cheap, but not utter shit, the Open Source TS-100 iron is pretty neat.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I had always used cheapass 40w mains powered irons and recently upgraded to a Weller WESD51... wow what a fucking difference I literally cannot go back now.
I keep telling people this and nobody believes me until they finally do it. The first time I used a Hakko was a revelation, I was living in The Dark Times before.

nono2lozere

Quiz Detective
WSM_1C_T0053293699_615259.jpg

That's a fucking quick and efficient sodering station, witch even can be battery powered!

Locutus73

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I use this
BCCC2B01-C6E6-4760-93CA-4B8A67F96E26.jpeg
But I’m not super expert, I just trust some friends of mine in the electronic industry who use Ersa pro stations.

Regards

Locutus73

Retro Brit

n00b
thought this was worth mentioning - I got one of these ali-express CMVS - from a new batch that came last week

my one WAS stereo out the box- so no mod was required-

the uni-bios (3.3) was far more professional looking than the pictures i'd seen on youtube and here, and the bios was on a chip that was the same size as (and replaced) the original bios chip (I replaced this later with with a unibios 4 using a neobios master

other differences was the sega saturn RGB out on the c-box was replaced with a neo geo aes style 8pin din RGB.

build quality overall was good - and i'm pretty happy with it now it has the 4.0 uni-bios

Carless Walker

Kabuki Klasher
thought this was worth mentioning - I got one of these ali-express CMVS - from a new batch that came last week

the uni-bios (3.3) was far more professional looking than the pictures i'd seen on youtube and here, and the bios was on a chip that was the same size as (and replaced) the original bios chip (I replaced this later with with a unibios 4 using a neobios master

other differences was the sega saturn RGB out on the c-box was replaced with a neo geo aes style 8pin din RGB.

build quality overall was good - and i'm pretty happy with it now it has the 4.0 uni-bios

RB,
Would you mind posting a few pictures of yours? In particular the JAMMA edge assembly. Also, how did the "builder"* integrate the MV stereo audio onto his AV backplane? Oh, and what output option are you utilizing, how does it look?

*this word choice may be generous ;)

djjimmyjames

NG.com Tattoo Artist.,
15 Year Member
I ended up grabbing on of these on sale $59.99 I believe. Think is sick....

6400266_703917_6400266_image_1_1040x.jpg

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
RB,
Would you mind posting a few pictures of yours? In particular the JAMMA edge assembly. Also, how did the "builder"* integrate the MV stereo audio onto his AV backplane? Oh, and what output option are you utilizing, how does it look?

*this word choice may be generous ;)

It's people like the 2 of you that don't do any reasearch and buy shoddily made imposter products that allow scammers like Chris Ray and Dion Dakis to make so much fucking money.

"it says NEOGEO so it must be worth the money!"

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member

Which v3.3 was included with it, is it the free version or does it have a serial number? You can also email me with info at razoola@universebios.com also as you dont have PM.

Raz

Last edited:

Carless Walker

Kabuki Klasher
I have zero interest in owning one of these. Aren't you at least curious how this is pieced together?

Consider your assumptions more carefully.

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
I have zero interest in owning one of these. Aren't you at least curious how this is pieced together?

Consider your assumptions more carefully.

I don't think a CMVS holds much mystery. Either way, this has already been posted and discussed on these forums and youtube. You should consider searching more carefully.

Carless Walker

Kabuki Klasher
You're 100% right, Basic.

I believe me even asking about this thing is akin to picking a scab. I wouldn't like what I uncovered.