Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: China doing consolized MVS

King's Dry Cleaner

Definitely start with something low risk.

When I started, I grabbed some old non-working PCBs (not arcade, I can't remember what they were, random computer junk), removed all the components and soldered them again.
    It was a total disaster for the first few times, but after getting some solid advice from my father and looking at some youtube vids, my skills definitely improved.

If you want to get into this hobby, I would definitely recommend getting some soldering skills, especially if you are a cheap ass and don't want to pay 50 bucks to have a couple of resistors soldered on a board.

Kuroko's Training Dummy

Quote Originally Posted by donluca View Post
    Definitely start with something low risk.

When I started, I grabbed some old non-working PCBs (not arcade, I can't remember what they were, random computer junk), removed all the components and soldered them again.
    It was a total disaster for the first few times, but after getting some solid advice from my father and looking at some youtube vids, my skills definitely improved.

If you want to get into this hobby, I would definitely recommend getting some soldering skills, especially if you are a cheap ass and don't want to pay 50 bucks to have a couple of resistors soldered on a board.
    Thanks, I'll look into that. I work in the computer industry and have tons of items to tinker with here. Guess I could try something with a video card or so.

King's Dry Cleaner

Try your hand on something *very* old, as newer ones are just a bunch of SMD components which you really don't want to mess with. You want to learn with through-hole components first as they are much easier, it will teach you the basics. SMD soldering is an entirely different thing.

Paris-Dakar Rally Driver
    Dakar 2003

Live dangerously: I taught my self to solder building my first CMVS. Had a few 'oh shit' moments, but it was a success.

Kuroko's Training Dummy

Quote Originally Posted by mistahsnart View Post
    Live dangerously: I taught my self to solder building my first CMVS. Had a few 'oh shit' moments, but it was a success.
    You're braver than I am. I don't even have the tools, and wouldn't know what kind of items to get for soldering electronics.

Blame madman
    You Know You Want To.

Quote Originally Posted by abathur View Post
    You're braver than I am. I don't even have the tools, and wouldn't know what kind of items to get for soldering electronics.
    A soldering iron and solder.

Kuroko's Training Dummy

Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    A soldering iron and solder.
    Oh, really? I've seen models with all sorts of different tips, various temperature ranges (90C - 480C), 30-60W ... sets between 10 and 70 bucks. Lots of options.

Kyokugen's Student

lesson 1...

AH
    A
    COLUMBIAN!

Quote Originally Posted by abathur View Post
    Oh, really? I've seen models with all sorts of different tips, various temperature ranges (90C - 480C), 30-60W ... sets between 10 and 70 bucks. Lots of options.
    40W max, better something like 25 or 30 if you work on thin vias. Start with a cheap one but good brand (Weller comes to mind IMO). Do not use conical tip, use a flat one like 1-1.5mm width.

Quote Originally Posted by aha2940 View Post
    Do not use conical tip, use a flat one like 1-1.5mm width.
    Yeah, conical tips blow. Wedge tips make life so much easier.
    Terraonion Team Member

Check out Todd's Nerd Cave on Youtube!

Follow me on Twitter @ToddsNerdCave

Kuroko's Training Dummy

Quote Originally Posted by aha2940 View Post
    40W max, better something like 25 or 30 if you work on thin vias. Start with a cheap one but good brand (Weller comes to mind IMO). Do not use conical tip, use a flat one like 1-1.5mm width.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodd View Post
    Yeah, conical tips blow. Wedge tips make life so much easier.
    Thanks guys. Will check this out when I have some time to kill

drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.

I had always used cheapass 40w mains powered irons and recently upgraded to a Weller WESD51... wow what a fucking difference I literally cannot go back now.

!!

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.

Hakko FX-888D is where it's at. Cough up a hundred bucks ya cheap bastards
    Neo Geo AES #011035 #036442 | Neo Geo CD #0002814 #0015959 | MVS Executive | Razion 1cc Club President | NG.com Top Trader
    ATTN NOOBS: Jamma Nation X makes the best CMVS & Superguns, PERIOD! | Unofficial MVS and AES Price Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by SNKSOUL View Post
    I ask a complete account removal extraction

I ask the deletion authorized by Neo Geo Admin Judge Dredd.

Thanks a lot.

Krauser's Shoe Shiner

If you want to go cheap, but not utter shit, the Open Source TS-100 iron is pretty neat.

Quote Originally Posted by lachlan View Post
    I had always used cheapass 40w mains powered irons and recently upgraded to a Weller WESD51... wow what a fucking difference I literally cannot go back now.
    I keep telling people this and nobody believes me until they finally do it. The first time I used a Hakko was a revelation, I was living in The Dark Times before.
    Whatcha gonna do?

Paris-Dakar Rally Driver
    Dakar 2003

That's a fucking quick and efficient sodering station, witch even can be battery powered!

Super Sidekicks 2

I use this
    BCCC2B01-C6E6-4760-93CA-4B8A67F96E26.jpeg
    But Iím not super expert, I just trust some friends of mine in the electronic industry who use Ersa pro stations.

Regards

Locutus73

Timid Neo Newbie

thought this was worth mentioning - I got one of these ali-express CMVS - from a new batch that came last week

my one WAS stereo out the box- so no mod was required-

the uni-bios (3.3) was far more professional looking than the pictures i'd seen on youtube and here, and the bios was on a chip that was the same size as (and replaced) the original bios chip (I replaced this later with with a unibios 4 using a neobios master

other differences was the sega saturn RGB out on the c-box was replaced with a neo geo aes style 8pin din RGB.

build quality overall was good - and i'm pretty happy with it now it has the 4.0 uni-bios

Kuroko's Training Dummy

Quote Originally Posted by Retro Brit View Post
    thought this was worth mentioning - I got one of these ali-express CMVS - from a new batch that came last week

the uni-bios (3.3) was far more professional looking than the pictures i'd seen on youtube and here, and the bios was on a chip that was the same size as (and replaced) the original bios chip (I replaced this later with with a unibios 4 using a neobios master

other differences was the sega saturn RGB out on the c-box was replaced with a neo geo aes style 8pin din RGB.

build quality overall was good - and i'm pretty happy with it now it has the 4.0 uni-bios
    RB,
    Would you mind posting a few pictures of yours? In particular the JAMMA edge assembly. Also, how did the "builder"* integrate the MV stereo audio onto his AV backplane? Oh, and what output option are you utilizing, how does it look?

*this word choice may be generous

NG.com Tattoo Artist.

I ended up grabbing on of these on sale $59.99 I believe. Think is sick....

6400266_703917_6400266_image_1_1040x.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesagwa View Post
    If a middle aged woman shitting on a glass coffee table shocks you, let me welcome you to the internet as you must be new here.

Neo-Geo.com's
    Top Rated Bully.
    Parking in handicap spaces, while handicapped people make handicapped faces

Quote Originally Posted by Carless Walker View Post
    RB,
    Would you mind posting a few pictures of yours? In particular the JAMMA edge assembly. Also, how did the "builder"* integrate the MV stereo audio onto his AV backplane? Oh, and what output option are you utilizing, how does it look?

*this word choice may be generous
    It's people like the 2 of you that don't do any reasearch and buy shoddily made imposter products that allow scammers like Chris Ray and Dion Dakis to make so much fucking money.

"it says NEOGEO so it must be worth the money!"
    Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist View Post
    And this is why I don't post here more often. Some truly terrible posts here.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSegaDude View Post
    There's a reason why I don't post much here...

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS

Quote Originally Posted by Retro Brit View Post

Which v3.3 was included with it, is it the free version or does it have a serial number? You can also email me with info at razoola@universebios.com also as you dont have PM.

Raz
    Last edited by Razoola; 06-05-2018 at 04:01 PM.
    THE UNIVERSE BIOS ( MVS / AES, and now also for CD )
    www.universebios.com. Also on facebook, please like http://www.facebook.com/UniverseBios.

Kuroko's Training Dummy

I have zero interest in owning one of these. Aren't you at least curious how this is pieced together?

Consider your assumptions more carefully.

B
    ASS
    IC

Quote Originally Posted by Carless Walker View Post
    I have zero interest in owning one of these. Aren't you at least curious how this is pieced together?

Consider your assumptions more carefully.
    I don't think a CMVS holds much mystery. Either way, this has already been posted and discussed on these forums and youtube. You should consider searching more carefully.

Kuroko's Training Dummy

You're 100% right, Basic.

I believe me even asking about this thing is akin to picking a scab. I wouldn't like what I uncovered.

Thread Information