China doing consolized MVS

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
You would think they would do stereo sound before posting this console? This puts me off a little.

You would think... but it's China. It's an easy mod anyway if everything else is fine.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Are you guys suggesting that a Chinaman is making a low quality product for a quick buck? Racists.

abathur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I ordered one of their units this past weekend. Seller messaged me today, telling me that customers reported problems with the Saturn ports. He asked me to sit tight for a few days so he can fix the problem before shipping. Apparently they're now shipping with UniBIOS 3.3, too.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I ordered one of their units this past weekend. Seller messaged me today, telling me that customers reported problems with the Saturn ports. He asked me to sit tight for a few days so he can fix the problem before shipping. Apparently they're now shipping with UniBIOS 3.3, too.

YOU DONT SAY???

there's PROBLEMS with a CHINESE PRODUCT????

I am SHOCKED, to say the least!

madman

YOU DONT SAY???

there's PROBLEMS with a CHINESE PRODUCT????

I am SHOCKED, to say the least!

It's crazy that problems w/the joystick ports slipped by China's highly regarded QA process.

FilthyRear

15 Year Member
I'm sure you'll get a top-shelf product which FAR surpasses anything that any other member here has offered before.

Sounds like a great buy, brother!

madman

I'm sure you'll get a top-shelf product which FAR surpasses anything that any other member here has offered before.
Would you go so far as to say it'll be a TopTierArcade experience?

abathur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Let us know how that customer service experience goes when it shits the bed.

But of course!

Shit talking aside, I expect pretty much what I paid for: not much. From what I read, it doesn't even output stereo sound.

FilthyRear

15 Year Member
From what I read, it doesn't even output stereo sound.

Real talk: when you got the idea to buy a CMVS, was it spur-of-the-moment? I'm trying to figure out why you're now the second person that JUST joined here, buying one of those cheap chinsy chinaman systems.

Was it too much to do a little research to find out who made CMVS' here that are of a much HIGHER quality? Who's opinion did you seek out before you wasted your money?

abathur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Real talk: when you got the idea to buy a CMVS, was it spur-of-the-moment? I'm trying to figure out why you're now the second person that JUST joined here, buying one of those cheap chinsy chinaman systems.

Was it too much to do a little research to find out who made CMVS' here that are of a much HIGHER quality? Who's opinion did you seek out before you wasted your money?

I've been on/off looking for a Neo Geo of some kind in the past 10-15 years. I know about the Jamma Nation X, the Omega, and some "private" modders that build CMVS on request. JNX doesn't accept new orders at this moment, I read mixed opinions about the Omega, and random CMVS on ebay.de look neither better or worse than this Chinese stuff. I read mixed opinions on what the Chinese dubs "Cbox", some guy killing his OSSC with it, and others describe it as "ok for the money". Again, I've fancied Neo Geos for over a decade but hesitated to shell out hundreds of Euros for some premium variant. Of course I'd rather have an AES with all the fancy mods, or a JNX build, or even a big red cabinet ... and a Neo SD Pro to go with it. But maybe I'm not enthusiastic enough (yet). I've quenched my thirst for Neo Geo with emulation so far, and it's no longer good enough.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
I've been on/off looking for a Neo Geo of some kind in the past 10-15 years. I know about the Jamma Nation X, the Omega, and some "private" modders that build CMVS on request. JNX doesn't accept new orders at this moment, I read mixed opinions about the Omega, and random CMVS on ebay.de look neither better or worse than this Chinese stuff. I read mixed opinions on what the Chinese dubs "Cbox", some guy killing his OSSC with it, and others describe it as "ok for the money". Again, I've fancied Neo Geos for over a decade but hesitated to shell out hundreds of Euros for some premium variant. Of course I'd rather have an AES with all the fancy mods, or a JNX build, or even a big red cabinet ... and a Neo SD Pro to go with it. But maybe I'm not enthusiastic enough (yet). I've quenched my thirst for Neo Geo with emulation so far, and it's no longer good enough.

Your 10-15 years of weighing the options ended with you buying the chinese CMVS? I get the trying to be frugal and make an informed decison, but you hopped on the bandwagon quick with this one. You didn't want to "shell out hundreds of Euros", but if you would have put away 5 euros a month in all that time you waited you'd have a JNX CMVS and a NeoSD by now ;)

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I have 2 words for all purchasers of this item...
Spoiler:
BAN PLZ!

abathur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Your 10-15 years of weighing the options ended with you buying the chinese CMVS? I get the trying to be frugal and make an informed decison, but you hopped on the bandwagon quick with this one. You didn't want to "shell out hundreds of Euros", but if you would have put away 5 euros a month in all that time you waited you'd have a JNX CMVS and a NeoSD by now ;)

Well I didn't spend the time constantly thinking about it, is was more of an on/off thing really. Who knows how this turns out for me. Maybe it's good enough for me, as I never tasted the purist fruit. Maybe it's the entry to a more elaborate second purchase. Either way, I just chimed in here as I saw some ppl being interested in it and wanted to share what I learned about possible issues with the Saturn ports.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
The other factor, the ones from China aren't from a member here. We tend to support people who reach out to the community and are active here. They are easily reachable and standby their work.

You bought from someone with no rep, history of quality and who knows if they have any warranty?

It's still too much money for the quality.

I hope it does work properly but I'm skeptical.

Last edited:

abathur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
The other factor, the ones from China aren't from a member here. We tend to support people who reach out to the community and are active here. They are easily reachable and standby their work.

You bought from someone with no rep, history of quality and who knows if they have any warranty?

It's still too much money for the quality.

I hope it does work properly but I'm skeptical.

Fair enough, although I'm not sure yet if I agree on the bang for buck statement. The PCB looks ok to me, and the breakout board doesn't look too bad either. I'm no expert by any means but the average CMVS on ebay doesn't appear to be much better.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior

That's how I started as well, with the only difference that I'm a cheap ass (more than you) so I built my CMVS/Supergun setup myself and got a 138-in-1 and a 161-in-1, fixed both of them myself and called it a day.
Next thing I know, I have an arcade cab in my room and now I'm saving up to get a NeoSD Pro.

It's not wrong to start out cheap and see if the addiction kicks in, but with very little knowledge and some soldering experience you probably could have done better and spent way less.

abathur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
That's how I started as well, with the only difference that I'm a cheap ass (more than you) so I built my CMVS/Supergun setup myself and got a 138-in-1 and a 161-in-1, fixed both of them myself and called it a day.
Next thing I know, I have an arcade cab in my room and now I'm saving up to get a NeoSD Pro.

It's not wrong to start out cheap and see if the addiction kicks in, but with very little knowledge and some soldering experience you probably could have done better and spent way less.

I wish I had any soldering skills. I'm totally useless with that tool. CMVS in general is a gateway drug for me. I don't have room for a cab at the moment. My next step would probably be an AES with a NeoSD. AES is what I adored in game magazines in the 90s, so that's where nostalgia really kicks in for me.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I wish I had any soldering skills. I'm totally useless with that tool. CMVS in general is a gateway drug for me. I don't have room for a cab at the moment. My next step would probably be an AES with a NeoSD. AES is what I adored in game magazines in the 90s, so that's where nostalgia really kicks in for me.

I would just buy a home system with a NeoSD. If I didn't have the soldering skill to build a CMVS that'd be the next logical step because a home system can be had for less than anyone reputable will make or sell you a CMVS for.

FilthyRear

15 Year Member
I wish I had any soldering skills. I'm totally useless with that tool.

Soldering is super easy, just need common sense and a VERY basic understanding of how to use it. The very first time I soldered anything, I backlit an OG Gameboy.

abathur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I would just buy a home system with a NeoSD. If I didn't have the soldering skill to build a CMVS that'd be the next logical step because a home system can be had for less than anyone reputable will make or sell you a CMVS for.

Appreciate your input. I should probably make a post in the n00b forum to ask where I should look to obtain a decent AES system. Looking at ebay, it's a lot of professional resellers asking EUR300+ for scratched beaters, and some modded (RGB bypass, component out, UniBIOS) units are easily EUR500+. Plus, as for NeoSD, I'd probably wait for the Pro to be released ... even if only to see how much of a premium it'd cost over the non-Pro.

Soldering is super easy, just need common sense and a VERY basic understanding of how to use it. The very first time I soldered anything, I backlit an OG Gameboy.

I know the theory, but I got two left hands which aren't very steady to begin with. Solder would be allover the place and I'd probably destroy more than I create. Maybe I should try a simple project with little risk, but certainly not something with a SNK logo on it.

Last edited: