Any 16-bit puzzle games better than Tetris Attack in your opinion?

Steve

The Wonder Years,
I recently started playing Tetris Attack with my GF and we're hooked. We meant to play a quick match or two this past weekend and before we knew it, two hours passed and it was 2 AM.

Any 16-bit puzzle games you believe are better than TA? Any TA memories/rants also welcomed. Damn is it a fun and addictive little puzzle game.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I like super puyo puyo just that little bit more.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I'm the Sokoban type, but if I had to choose, especially with a GF in my mind, it would be definitely MDIII.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
wario's woods, pac attack and cu.on.pa for the super famicom are all good, but tetris attack is the best unless you consider the super bomberman games as puzzle.

suechi

Uyador,
20 Year Member
The super tetris and bombliss games are great..
Tetris battle Gaiden
cosmo gang the puzzle is like Pac attack
Kirby Star stacker - Kābī no Kirakira Kizzu

Last edited:

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
Definitely one of my favorite puzzle games! Though Panic Bomber might just barely nudge it out for first.

My only rant is that Bowser is a bitch on Super Hard mode! I just can't keep up with the speed. Still keeping me from 1CCing it on that difficulty.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine is pretty fun. Just your basic Puyo game with a Sonic coat of paint but I dig it.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
tetris attack is best

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Such a great game. My wife and I were addicted to this years ago while we were dating. Not 16 bit, but at the same time we played the hell out of Puyo Sun, Puzzle Fighter, and Bust A Move 2 on PSX.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Pac attack and columns are worth a mention, pretty solid puzzle games, not a fan of puzzle games in general though TBH.
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo on the ps1 is my favourite puzzle game, but that's not 16 bit.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
There is no puzzle game better than Tetris Attack / Panel de Pon / Puzzle League. All others are below it. Tetris and Puyo Puyo are among the most overrated and worst.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
There is no puzzle game better than Tetris Attack / Panel de Pon / Puzzle League. All others are below it. Tetris and Puyo Puyo are among the most overrated and worst.

I could maybe see overrated, but Tertis and Puyo Puyo among the worst puzzle games of all time? You went full retard on that one.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
He's also entitled to say you're retarded for thinking that. I'd be inclined to agree.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
I put Puyo Puyo below Tetris, Wario's Woods, Yoshi's Cookie, Dr. Mario and way at the top is Tetris Attack.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Pieces on the SNES by Atlus is a really fun puzzle game...literally actually. You can play two player where you compete to assemble a series of puzzles all the while hitting each other with handicaps like reverse controls, or blacking out the pieces for the other person, that kind of thing...you can even use the SNES mouse to play the game.

The game is really fun, and my wife and I always have a ton of laughs when we play Pieces.

Other than that, I'm all about Dr.Mario, and I would gladly go head to head on max settings with anyone and feel confident I would win.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Tetris Attack is the best 16 bit puzzle. The close second would be Keeper.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
You realize there are more puzzle games/series than just those six, right?

I was sticking to 16-bit puzzle games that I have played before. When you've played Tetris Attack, you aren't inclined to try anything else.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Kind of a cheat but Dr Mario & Tetris cart and the combo game it has in there too. If you import Mario & Wario a mouse puzzle game is solid and 1/2 of Wrecking Crew 98 is an action puzzler too that's very good.

Igakajook

Armored Scrum Object
I was late to jump on the Tetris Attack bandwagon (didn't play it until 5 or so years ago), and I really wished I hadn't put it off for so long. None of my friends had ever played it either.