Darksoft NG Multi is Released Feb 2018. Impressions Please.

greatfunky

Mr. Big's Thug
In short : unibios tell us this flashcart is a piece of crap .....the code never lies ;)

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Have they provided any updates publicly?

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
They have released an update (non firmware) to try and fix some of the issues related to their UI and games not showing or disapeering.

leonk

Marked Wolf
Developers need to know when to gracefully bow out .. even Krikzz figured this out (e.g. He probably sells a boat load more SD2SNES than his own SNES Everdrive).

DS seems to have a following in his other products. He should stick to them, and bury this horrible product.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
On Topic... Or Die...

No exceptions...

Opt2not... Morden... you just hit my radar... and I LOVE having people on my radar... :thevt:

Posts deleted... warning is now in place...

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
On Topic... Or Die...

No exceptions...

Opt2not... Morden... you just hit my radar... and I LOVE having people on my radar... :thevt:

Posts deleted... warning is now in place...

Whoa ... Holster your guns, partner. The conversation took me there. On topic, however, they can't seriously be asking people to mess with the voltage. How would I go about doing this using a PC power supply with my supergun? How are people using CMVS supposed to do that? Not to mention AES. If it doesn't apply to all users, it's not a solution. I know they're trying to figure it out, but all of this should have been fixed before the product shipped. You can't expect everyone who purchased a cartridge to be able to adjust the 5V.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Whoa ... Holster your guns, partner. The conversation took me there.

WELL.. when you start discussing stuff OUTSIDE the constricts of how I want the thread to follow... we are gonna have issues...

I want this ON TOPIC.... so this is a warning...

...the forum knows how it goes... I'll give you a warning... you either choose to follow it.. or NOT...

On topic, however, they can't seriously be asking people to mess with the voltage. How would I go about doing this using a PC power supply with my supergun? How are people using CMVS supposed to do that? Not to mention AES. If it doesn't apply to all users, it's not a solution. I know they're trying to figure it out, but all of this should have been fixed before the product shipped. You can't expect everyone who purchased a cartridge to be able to adjust the 5V.

SIMPLE answer to the CMVS voltage question... is they CAN'T DO it...

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
With all the trouble people are having, I can’t imagine the AES version ever seeing the light of day.

Darksoft might be best cutting his losses and moving on.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Today might be (or at least should be) the day they pause/stop shipping until they can address the cause of the pixel issue or at least address why those with the issue visible on the UI screens got passed the working inspection before they were sent out.

The way I see this issue is one cannot assume that because they do not quickly see the issue on screen that it is not actually present on their device. Many reasons for this but the prime one being there are 2097152 16x16 tiles that can be stored on this multicart over the 3 slots plus the UI slot. To see the issue onscreen, the tile held in the affected RAM region must be displayed on screen and use a color palette that makes the affected pixel stand out around the other pixels in the tile. Basically this is not something that will always be quickly identified by the user and might only show once a set game is loaded in a set slot.

What would be really important now and also helpful to darksoft is the addition of some kind or RAM checker built into a new firmware that the user can RUN (through a UI option) to be sure the entire sprite RAM region passes a good RAM check routine without issue. This would give him an idea of how wide or limited the problem is or even if the RAM is good but being klobbered in a consistant way as it is written to with sprite data.

There has been no mention yet on if the RAM used for V ROM is also affected in a simular way (sample pops, dropouts etc) but a RAM check on this region might be wise step also at the same time.

Last edited:

Bskull

Crossed Swords Squire
Such reasons are why I never consider getting multi-carts. I see the claimed benefits and I can see why people use them, but I'm just too much of a fan of using officially licensed games for my CMVS.

aku

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Such reasons are why I never consider getting multi-carts. I see the claimed benefits and I can see why people use them, but I'm just too much of a fan of using officially licensed games for my CMVS.

but this darksoft multicart is the worst ever made. even the worst 10$ multicart, assembled by mentally handicapped crystalmeth junkies in china is better than darksofts multicart.

maybe it was a bad idea to skip the alphatest and sell it right away.

joala

A Joala is for Life., Not Just Christmas.,

I'm currently loving swapping between cold hard plastic for cold hard plastic on my CMVS at the moment :glee:

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
but this darksoft multicart is the worst ever made. even the worst 10$ multicart, assembled by mentally handicapped crystalmeth junkies in china is better than darksofts multicart.

maybe it was a bad idea to skip the alphatest and sell it right away.

That'll happen when you advertise a product years before you have it working and get beat to market by someone else so you have to rush to save any kind of face. He should have just cut his losses and moved on long ago.

phoenixdownita

Cheng's Errand Boy
So now with the "stock BIOS fix" + "4.6V rail fix" does anyone rave about how fast the thing loads?
I keep on harping on it because that's the only feature that if achieved would set it apart (assuming the rest of the mishaps is worked out to begin with that is) [plus Rot hasn't yet intervened and stopped my whining]

And to be completely honest I was kind of hoping the neosd team would take a second look at their decision that they are done with Neo-Geo SD carts and release a RAM based version of their product for the short-attention span bunch of us that feel the need to be able to change game every time a nearby dogs barks and can't be bothered to wait 3 minutes. Obviously some other features will have to be compromised/removed in that case so it won't be a cart for everyone ... but so is not this DS one as it seems.
But then again Unibios 4 with its support for Mix'n'Match 161-in-1 may just quench my thirst (I already have a MagicKey anyway with switch mod as my finger was getting bruised from pressing the damn thing everytime I had to use the "161-in-1 poor excuse of a menu").

Last edited:

greatfunky

Mr. Big's Thug
So now with the "stock BIOS fix" + "4.6V rail fix" does anyone rave about how fast the thing loads?
I keep on harping on it because that's the only feature that if achieved would set it apart (assuming the rest of the mishaps is worked out to begin with that is) [plus Rot hasn't yet intervened and stopped my whining]

And to be completely honest I was kind of hoping the neosd team would take a second look at their decision that they are done with Neo-Geo SD carts and release a RAM based version of their product for the short-attention span bunch of us that feel the need to be able to change game every time a nearby dogs barks and can't be bothered to wait 3 minutes. Obviously some other features will have to be compromised/removed in that case so it won't be a cart for everyone ... but so is not this DS one as it seems.
But then again Unibios 4 with its support for Mix'n'Match 161-in-1 may just quench my thirst (I already have a MagicKey anyway with switch mod as my finger was getting bruised from pressing the damn thing everytime I had to use the "161-in-1 poor excuse of a menu").
To use DS cart:
Gentlemen start your engine !

1: Put your stock bios
2: Put the voltage rail to 4,6V
3: Warm up your mvs motherboard
4 :Make sure your RAM is empty
5: Measure strength of wind
6: The atmospheric pressure too

I was like you , preferring largely Ram memory cart based in the everdrives family , but never about the neosd , probably because there are no thousands games on NeoGeo and mostly are quality games , a NG game should be savoured , not swapped every 5 minutes .

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
The fact that the voltage makes a difference there makes me think there are some impedance problems somewhere. Either that or some wierd issue where something at TTL or CMOS levels is connecting to 3.3v logic - now that would be funny! I also find it funny that 4.6v is recommended - that's right in the region of causing stability problems and reboots at that level. My MVS systems seriously don't like being that close to 4.6v.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
And to be completely honest I was kind of hoping the neosd team would take a second look at their decision that they are done with Neo-Geo SD carts and release a RAM based version of their product

I think what would be really great for the NeoSD , is having the chance to "fill" the ~700Mb with multiple games, cycling through them, instead of having just one at time... you could have different combos like 10x70Mb games or 2x350Mb etc..

From my understanding after asking about it a couple of times in the thread, it is technically possible.

I love the product the way it is on my 4-slot, but I think they may now consider such feature for AES/MV1 setups?

Edit: sorry for the OT (^_^!)

Last edited:

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
lol he probably didn't do proper voltage conversion of 5v to 3.3v.

undamned

Pleasure Goal
I ordered one. All the other DS multis I have work great (ST-V, CPS2/3, F3), so I didn't have much hesitation about picking this one up, too. DS has been good about fixing any issues found on the other products, so I'm sure he'll get this one dialed as well. That day 1 bug list is a pretty rough start, though, lol.
-ud

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I ordered one. All the other DS multis I have work great (ST-V, CPS2/3, F3), so I didn't have much hesitation about picking this one up, too. DS has been good about fixing any issues found on the other products, so I'm sure he'll get this one dialed as well. That day 1 bug list is a pretty rough start, though, lol.
-ud

Heard about the NeoSD PRO ? :keke: