Darksoft NG Multi is Released Feb 2018. Impressions Please.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
"try replacing your entire motherboard even though it works fine with all your real games"

NeoLucian

New Challenger
A little update:

Darksoft
There are currently some confirmed issues with certain motherboard revisions/multicarts as listed below. We are working on these issues and
will update you once these are fixed;

- Should you use a MV-1F or MV-1FS, please note that there currently is an issue with these. Quick fix is lowering your 5v to about 4.7-4.8v.
- Should you use a 4 or 6 slot avoid using UNIBIOS
- Some multicarts do show some gfx issues like fixed dots. All carts passed the quality test but seems as some solderpoints were not properly done and have a bad contact originated during shipping. Please PM me if this is your case.
- There is a problem reading files on bigger cards, that we are currently fixing.

Expect a new firmware update as soon as we fix these issues.

- Audio issues with KOF '94 and '95 (rest ok). Hi pitched tones that seem to be replacing in game sounds. They get louder over time and seem to multiply.
- Loaded (3) slots, flashed fine and played all three fine. Starting with 1st, then 2nd, then 3rd (no reboot, switching with hotkey). Exit to menu and loaded (3) new games. Super Spy launched without sound (slot 1), but once cycled back to it, it had sound.
- Exiting to menu after the 2nd (3) slots are filled sometimes generates what seems to be a crash/reboot. It won't load the menu. Rather, will hang on reading file system, then just boot the slot 1 game again. This persists until I hard power it off.

- The cart always resets to default preferences on boot. Nothing is remembered (preferences, DIP switches, high scores) except for saved games.
- I checked the SD card, the BUF1 file is there (13gkB in size according to Windows 7)

Thanks for clarification :) Problem is Unibios. In any case as we always do we'll try to see if we can make it work with UNIBIOS on 4 slot as well.
My guess is that it adds an extra delay that makes the cart reset.

We never said that it won't be supported. It rather wont be needed as it won't add anything new to what you currently have. We plan and we'll do our best to make all motherboards work with all BIOS, original and UNIBIOS. UNIBIOS add some delays and interferes with the original working of the NeoGeo (as compared to stock BIOS) so it may be a bit of an issue with 4 slots and 6 slots, but for the rest I believe it won't be a problem.

Seems a few carts have production issues and no guarantee of compatibility with the Unibios
Also having to adjust the power on your board below 5V is just annoying when it works with original carts but not that particular multi

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Regarding the Unibios splash screen issue with this multi device. After talking to a ds multi user a little earlier I have come up with an ultra simple fix until darksoft sorts out the situation properly. This will only work with UniBios v3.1 or later.

NOTE - Get confirmation from darksoft the following fix is ok to apply before you do it.

1 - Download the menu file update 25/02/2018 from ds site
2 - using a hex editor on file 'prom' alter address 0x108 from 0x0302 to 0x0004
3 - follow darksoft instructions on updating the menu (patched file must be n both dirs I guess).

For some reason darksoft has given his multi device menu the same NGH as 'Master of Syougi'. The above patch changes this to a homebrew game (known not to hold the NeoGeo logo graphics). Providing there is no checksum held inside the 'prom' file, the above will remove the white strips on the UniBios splash screen.

As mentioned already, do not apply this fix until somone from darksofts team confirms its ok to do so. I would have posted this in their forum if I were not banned.

joala

A Joala is for Life., Not Just Christmas.,
What a fucking legend - helping out on another product.

You're a good egg Raz

No cunt over there would be offering to help with any products over here

Last edited:

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Regarding the Unibios splash screen issue with this multi device. After talking to a ds multi user a little earlier I have come up with an ultra simple fix until darksoft sorts out the situation properly. This will only work with UniBios v3.1 or later.

NOTE - Get confirmation from darksoft the following fix is ok to apply before you do it.

1 - Download the menu file update 25/02/2018 from ds site
2 - using a hex editor on file 'prom' alter address 0x108 from 0x0302 to 0x0004
3 - follow darksoft instructions on updating the menu (patched file must be n both dirs I guess).

For some reason darksoft has given his multi device menu the same NGH as 'Master of Syougi'. The above patch changes this to a homebrew game (known not to hold the NeoGeo logo graphics). Providing there is no checksum held inside the 'prom' file, the above will remove the white strips on the UniBios splash screen.

As mentioned already, do not apply this fix until somone from darksofts team confirms its ok to do so. I would have posted this in their forum if I were not banned.

Most charitable donation of 2018.

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
it boggles my mind that anyone can buy the excuse that the issue is unibios. unibios works on all motherboards, all real carts work with unibios, and neosd works with unibios...when their cart doesn't work with unibios, it's a problem with unibios. sound logic.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
it boggles my mind that anyone can buy the excuse that the issue is unibios. unibios works on all motherboards, all real carts work with unibios, and neosd works with unibios...when their cart doesn't work with unibios, it's a problem with unibios. sound logic.

Can't you read? They're gonna make the Unibios obsolete. Even though they clearly don't understand all of its features or how they work.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member

C'mon really? You do read other forums right? the amount of drivel that continues on at some of these places is incredible. Misinformation being spread because no one really knows what they're talking about. There are people banging on about monitor resolutions of 22khz and the 'supported resolutions of jamma' that's just the fuckin tip.

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
C'mon really? You do read other forums right? the amount of drivel that continues on at some of these places is incredible. Misinformation being spread because no one really knows what they're talking about. There are people banging on about monitor resolutions of 22khz and the 'supported resolutions of jamma' that's just the fuckin tip.

i am not jaded enough yet. i'll get that fixed soon.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
There are people banging on about monitor resolutions of 22khz and the 'supported resolutions of jamma' that's just the fuckin tip.
And people going on about 20 year old PCBs being exposed to unstable air.

neosd

Neosd Developer
Maybe neocps1 can look into this and fix it for them.

darsof_master_hacker.png

Maybe neocps1 can tell darsof that the AES lacks of backupram aswel,

Sometimes i wonder if he is running a comedy club. Everytime he writes, he proves to know nothing about the neogeo at all

Last edited:

fille1976

Crossed Swords Squire
What a bunch of clowns,they bring a product on the market,and even get no info about the neo geo.

Last edited:

fille1976

Crossed Swords Squire
darsof_master_hacker.png

Maybe neocps1 can tell darsof that the AES lacks of backupram aswel,

Sometimes i wonder if he is running a comedy club. Everytime he writes, he proves to know nothing about the neogeo at all

,yep,they say something,after all the weeks passing,i never read a good solution for the problem,poor customers,glad i did not buy their shit.

joala

I feel sorry for the people that bought one. Its just new problem after seemingly new problem.

They should swallow their pride and ask people that actually know what they're talking about for help, for the sake of their buyers at least.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I feel sorry for the people that bought one. Its just new problem after seemingly new problem.

They should swallow their pride and ask people that actually know what they're talking about for help, for the sake of their buyers at least.

Not going to happen....

xROTx

EDIT. Let me expand on this...

You manage to piss off the largest NG community on the internet... with the one largest knowledge tech heads on any forum...

You manage to piss off one of the few guys that would ease your passage on Ng.com...

... I aint the fuckin' Devil... But I sure as hell am NOT ameniable atm to any of the Darksoft inner tech circle coming here for help...

In other words... Fuck them... and anyone stuck with this POS device...

joala

Understood.

I'm sure they'll get there, just keep crankin that voltage...:keke:

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member

I know little about these people. I wonder if they outsourced the project, or if someone else came to them with the product to slap their name on it.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I know little about these people. I wonder if they outsourced the project, or if someone else came to them with the product to slap their name on it.

But wouldn't that devalue the product? :scratch:

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I've been playing the hell out of mine. With the games I play I haven't had a issue.

I'm back off to play so flame on!

Edit Alpha Mission II, Ironclad, MS X>MS2, MS 3, NITD, NTM, Blazing Star, Zed Blade, others I can't remember right now.

An update or two on the reported game issues and I'm set.

Last edited:

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
This thing looks to be the Madcatz the Neo Geo never had. Or needed...

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Looks like darksoft has tried to implement the fix I suggested above to their new menu released today. However instead of putting 0x0004 as mentioned they put 0x0040 instead. This means that fix will not work until its patched properly.

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Looks like darksoft has tried to implement the fix I suggested above to their new menu released today. However instead of putting 0x0004 as mentioned they put 0x0040 instead. This means that fix will not work until its patched properly.

So, they're extremely detail oriented over there [sarcasm]

that's amazing - you're a good man Raz