Darksoft NG Multi is Released Feb 2018. Impressions Please.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Looks like darksoft has tried to implement the fix I suggested above to their new menu released today. However instead of putting 0x0004 as mentioned they put 0x0040 instead. This means that fix will not work until its patched properly.

Lol sooooo quality control is not a thing over there?

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Looks like darksoft has tried to implement the fix I suggested above to their new menu released today. However instead of putting 0x0004 as mentioned they put 0x0040 instead. This means that fix will not work until its patched properly.

Hi! I was gonna ask about this, Raz. The new firmware still has the logo corruption, does the previous patch still applies? or should anything be changed? I asked and they told me if the firmware is bad, simply reflashing with a good one should fix it, so no harm in trying, I guess.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Hi! I was gonna ask about this, Raz. The new firmware still has the logo corruption, does the previous patch still applies? or should anything be changed? I asked and they told me if the firmware is bad, simply reflashing with a good one should fix it, so no harm in trying, I guess.

Yes it does. If you have already put their new menu, simply change address 0x108 in prom from 0x0040 to 0x0004 with a hexeditor and reapply to their device (maybe its needed in both directories).

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Great job Raz! Shame they banned you, you would have been an asset to them sorting their shit lol.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Great job Raz! Shame they banned you, you would have been an asset to them sorting their shit lol.

Thanks, I'm not sure I would be that much help really cause my advise would have always been not to follow the design path they did (due to the issues they face now).

In their release notes for the new menu they say they are limiting support to 151 games (removing bootlegs and odd releases). I'm trying to understand what that means in real terms... Am I right to assume that means no hacks (like plus versions of some games), stuck in one version of each original game (it only supports 1 'World Heroes' revision of the 3 are currently available in MAME) and cannot load any homebrew stuff? Surely I must understand it wrong???

But anyway, at least its been confirmed my fix does actually resolve the first boot unibios splash screen issue their cart has (until they manage to place correct tiles there). From Mitsu's post in their forums its clear their new menu released today was sopposed to fix this issue (using the suggested patch), looks like somone made a typo and no one actually checked their new menu coding was working correctly before it was released.

phoenixdownita

Cheng's Errand Boy
But anyway, at least its been confirmed my fix does actually resolve the first boot unibios splash screen issue their cart has (until they manage to place correct tiles there). From Mitsu's post in their forums its clear their new menu released today was sopposed to fix this issue (using the suggested patch), looks like somone made a typo and no one actually checked their new menu coding was working correctly before it was released.

If the fix is for Unibios and they didn't test it on Unibios that must be the dumbest thing ever ..... no wonder they had so many quality control issues.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
I copied and pasted razoola's post about the fix on a dutch forum, 2 guys I know there have the ds multi. One of them said he would suggest the info. Looks like he did and they listened.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Was there any noteworthy development wrt fixing the glitches and playing nice with Unibios?

TBH... I've lost interest in the whole affair...

The Darksoft NG multi was sorta a bit of a let down.... the issue they had is that they are in direct competition with the Neosd product which has been shown to work well...

Also the Neosd Pro is coming out soon... so why bother with this fubar... To me, they've already lost...

xROTx

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Agreed. The DS cart is a bust. The fact that pretty much all hype, bad or good, has died down considerably since its release demonstrates that whatever interest there was, along with future sales, has waned beyond recovery.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
I purchased the NeoSD AES, mainly based on the feedback in this thread.

I own some of Darksoft's previous work and the support I got on my few issues was top notch. For $500 and with the NeoSD's features, I didn't feel like having to wrestle with an "half-baked cake", if you will. That's what this feels like. I don't have the zeal (or time) for a ton of gaming anymore, much less having to spend a lot of that time dealing with stuff not working correctly out of the box.

I hope they get this together and fix their problem. It's a bad look.

phoenixdownita

Cheng's Errand Boy
I purchased the NeoSD AES, mainly based on the feedback in this thread.

I hope they get this together and fix their problem. It's a bad look.

Do you mind updating on the recent DS developments?
I have not kept up at all, I am secretly saving funds for the NeoSD Pro in the hope it won't cost 1K$+ (not holding my breath though).
So you say DS cart is still in "dafuq" land?

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Do you mind updating on the recent DS developments?
I have not kept up at all, I am secretly saving funds for the NeoSD Pro in the hope it won't cost 1K$+ (not holding my breath though).
So you say DS cart is still in "dafuq" land?

Considering all your posts here are about flash carts or multicarts I thought you'd be more educated. Go back to AtariAge, dipshit. I'm sure fdurso's amazing Neo Geo thread contains info you can't find here.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Honestly, one mod despises DS. Right now, we could talk about it but the mod may change his mind or at the very least remember someone talked about it.

DS isn't on Dion/ngfs level but why annoy them! You can goto their site and find out all you want lazy fuck.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Mmhhh....

That's all I've got to say on the matter for now...

xROTx

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
The NeoSD superseded the DS alternative long before it was even available but please let's still inquire about redundant hardware that never worked properly to begin with and has nowhere near the same level of distribution or support.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Honestly, one mod despises DS. Right now, we could talk about it but the mod may change his mind or at the very least remember someone talked about it.

Despise is such inaccurate terminology... I would suggest the replacing it with the phrase... "This Mod Hopes that DS dies a cold and lonely death being raped by Polar Bears whilst they eat his liver..."...

The NeoSD superseded the DS alternative long before it was even available but please let's still inquire about redundant hardware that never worked properly to begin with and has nowhere near the same level of distribution or support.

Pretty much this...

xROTx

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I know Rot, that's why I was telling the dumbass goto their site. There's no reason to mention them here. We come up with our own silliness, keeping the mods busy as is, no need to piss you off further.