Darksoft NG Multi is Released Feb 2018. Impressions Please.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I wonder what will be considered 'bitching and moaning' ? they need to elaborate on that considering 'there are a ton of revisions' and it will be quite interesting to see how they go about fixing things.

How fun!

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Just had a look through their support thread.

Not sure what to make of the notes in the first post or the first picture posted by a buyer (K405). They seem happy with what they are getting on screen GFX wise. All I see however is bands of pixel corruption on the sprite layer. I really hope thats a simple case of the cart not being inserted correctly or if they are upscaling the image something related to that. Logic tells me its more likley related to a timing issue, I guess we will know more soon so lets wait and see. Maybe its supposed to look like that.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Another competing product means another quality for the consumer. It'll either show that the existing one is even better than one thought, or that it has room for improvement, in which case it will make it better in the future, because its creators will have to deliver to compete with their new challenger. Only winners and winners here. For here, quality rules. That, and drama ;).

gameofyou

Mr. Big's Thug
15 Year Member
I’m glad this finally got released. I think Darksoft underestimated the difficulty of the project, which is why it took so long. But hopefully, it is another quality product for the Neo Geo. Competition and choice are always a good thing. I wish them luck.

neosd

Neosd Developer
Congratulations to NEOCPS1 for finishing his project

He has delivered a product to the market that has been bornt wrong since day one. Even people told him it was wrong, he insisted and didn´t changed the design.

So now there is a device :

poorly conceived

poorly executed

I expect big drama once they allow anyone buy it, not only theyr trusted circle. And i find hilarious to see how much they bitched about 4 and 6 slots to see those are not working now.

Its kinda incredible seeing people having payed to be part of this closed beta.

Another product done by others with darsof name on it

Last edited:

fille1976

Crossed Swords Squire
Competition isn't bad,but this cart is not competition for neosd.

neodev

Neosd Tech
Just had a look through their support thread.

Not sure what to make of the notes in the first post or the first picture posted by a buyer (K405). They seem happy with what they are getting on screen GFX wise. All I see however is bands of pixel corruption on the sprite layer. I really hope thats a simple case of the cart not being inserted correctly or if they are upscaling the image something related to that. Logic tells me its more likley related to a timing issue, I guess we will know more soon so lets wait and see. Maybe its supposed to look like that.

Yes, I saw that too in the image. If it were a timming issue and the address was not properly captured, a larger row of pixels would be corrupted, but it looks like single pixels, that's probably caused by some bit flipping in memory.

I had a quick look at the romsets, and only mslugx seemed patched, so he was fair on that. What I don't get is he saying that the fpga file is needed to emulate the encryption when his romsets are pre-decrypted. Neosd ones are too, that's not a bad thing as it's done transparently and the board only sees decrypted data, but he's misleading saying that, better say it's used for the protections and eprom layouts.

Also, it's not clear if all games work or only a list of preselected games that is baked in the firmwar (along with the softdips data for each game). He's saying neosd is also locked to a preselected list, that's not right. Neobuilder can take a zip file with a 'normal' neogeo cart structure and turn in a .neo file, and also the neo file structure is in the neobuilder readme.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Also, it's not clear if all games work or only a list of preselected games that is baked in the firmwar (along with the softdips data for each game). He's saying neosd is also locked to a preselected list, that's not right. Neobuilder can take a zip file with a 'normal' neogeo cart structure and turn in a .neo file, and also the neo file structure is in the neobuilder readme.

I noticed that and scratched my head as to where they got that idea from. I think Im right in saying that the only game you lockout on the NeoSD is Last Hope out of respect to NGdev and their ongoing commitment to the NeoGeo community. This gets a big thumbs up from me.

Other things we have found out in the last days is this prerequisite that MVS backupRAM and battery must work correctly to save their carts settings. I really hope that is something they can and will address as I honestly can't imagine even they would design a cart like this and not have foresight for some kind of non volatile self storage mechanism on board.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
seeing the name Mitsurugi-W made me miss Mitsuagi.

I miss the old scene with Italian neo collectors.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I was promised a shitstorm of drama and lulz. So far I am disappointed.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I look forward to when those who've bought the DS cart come here for support.

joala

A Joala is for Life., Not Just Christmas.,
I look forward to when those who've bought the DS cart come here for support.

NeoSD agreed to support it, right?

giphy.gif

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
I've been keeping an eye on this for a while. It's the first thing that has piqued my interest in a while.

neosd

Neosd Developer
So what is the story with this darksoft device? I have no clue what it is. Is it a ripoff of the neosd?

October 2016 we show neosd, darsof says we stolen his sd reading code at the time he pretends to be a super hacker, obviously he has no clue about coding cause "sd reading code" is something that you get from free from the ARM manufacturer, there are tons of, no one has to even code that shit.

Then he starts telling people his device is about to be released and is better than us.

Latter in june 2017 he shows a video comparsing neosd with his cart, telling he will flash kof2k3 in 30 secconds, fact is that a guy does a stream in january of this device and is totally glitched and takes 1:15 secconds just to boot into the menu.

There is much more to say, such as him telling neosd was crap cause it wasn´t working on 4 and 6 slots (its not true btw, neosd works in any mvs or aes), and now he releases a manual telling his cart wont work on 4 and 6 slots boards.

This guy has spent 1 year and a half telling how good his device would be and how superior would be compared with neosd and now it looks like its shit.

He says that he has shipped units and sold a ton, but there are no reviews or coments about it.

BTW the real guy behind his cart is a french guy called NEOCPS1 , i still wonder how someone lets him to put his name on others products, just for money ?

Also, i want to let clear that his device has nothing to be with us or our device.

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I honestly have been too happy with my NeoSD AES cart, playing the entire Neo library to give 2 fucks about other devices.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I honestly have been too happy with my NeoSD AES cart, playing the entire Neo library to give 2 fucks about other devices.

Pretty much this.

We have been enjoying playing the entire Neo library from a flash device for over a year now.

darksoft missed the fucking boat on this one. If he had launched his unit this time last year, maybe a different story.

But he let someone else beat him to the punch.