Pandora Box 3 not working with supergun

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
Hey all, I bought a pandora box 3 (the ps4 looking version that was recommended) a while back and haven't ever used it because the signal is wrong when outputting to my supergun > pvm setup.
I would love it if anyone could offer a solution so I could actually use this other than a paperweight. I am attaching photo's here, the vga out works to a pc monitor but the jama edge does not.
IMG_20180208_134736.jpg
IMG_20180208_133716.jpg

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Hey all, I bought a pandora box 3 (the ps4 looking version that was recommended) a while back and haven't ever used it because the signal is wrong when outputting to my supergun > pvm setup.
I would love it if anyone could offer a solution so I could actually use this other than a paperweight. I am attaching photo's here, the vga out works to a pc monitor but the jama edge does not.
View attachment 48817
View attachment 48818
/

been YEARS since I messed with one of those - any dips for switching between video modes? I seem to remember a 15/31khz switch. Also, the JAMMA pinout isn't standard [as you probably know] you need an adapter as they run all 6 buttons off the jamma edge. I doubt that would cause any video issues though. It may also be using pin 1 and 2 for video ground...OR you do in fact have a bootleg version that is VGA only.

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
There is a button beside the volume wheel that is unlabeled that I thought would switch video signals but I tried it and it doesn't seem to do anything. Would the pcb have any obvious signs that I could tell if it is a boot or not? I remember the threads about these being legit or fake depending on the minor differences in the case and mine looked legit compared to the pictures being posted.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've got a legit one that I used to use with an Olympus OEV 203, we could compare PCB pics.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
My fake PB4S+ only does HDMI out (and maybe VGA, but haven't tested), but does not output video from the board. I think the fakes cheap out on that.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
That would be awesome, I am attaching my pics here.

I'll try to get some pics up this weekend, I wasn't feeling well last night and went straight to bed. The outside of my case does look identical to yours.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
this is sweet...show me yours and I'll show you mine...

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member

The edge connector on these boards is slightly smaller than spec. Make sure that your pins are lined up correctly in your harness. Looks like the sync pin might be misaligned.

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
The edge connector on these boards is slightly smaller than spec. Make sure that your pins are lined up correctly in your harness. Looks like the sync pin might be misaligned.

I tried about a dozen times making sure to line the pins up but still the same output so I don't think that's my issue but thanks for the tip.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Looks like it is outputting 31khz but your pvm is expecting 15khz.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Looks like yours and mine are identical. I tested it with both my tv (though a Shinybow scart to component converter) and a vga monitor and it works fine with both. It can actually display both simultaneously, there's no switching between the two. The button on the side is for going into the settings
d09af5438bd8e754c34dcd8cf1ba4e65.jpg

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
Looks like yours and mine are identical. I tested it with both my tv (though a Shinybow scart to component converter) and a vga monitor and it works fine with both. It can actually display both simultaneously, there's no switching between the two. The button on the side is for going into the settings
d09af5438bd8e754c34dcd8cf1ba4e65.jpg

Shit I'm at a loss, vga monitor works fine but scart is botched. This is a bummer, does it use ext sync? I've just left my setup the same as I use for my mvs setup.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Was this one of the original "HD" models? Those only supported 31k video and controls via jamma.

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
Was this one of the original "HD" models? Those only supported 31k video and controls via jamma.

I don't believe so, I used the link from here back then that referenced the model people were using for this type of setup. Didn't the he model have HDMI? This has jamma and vga only.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I don't believe so, I used the link from here back then that referenced the model people were using for this type of setup. Didn't the he model have HDMI? This has jamma and vga only.

The 3 didn't have an HDMI version if I'm.not mistaken. I'm.pretty sure the 4 and 4s had HDMI.

**Edit**
This is from a site still selling the 3 HD.

"If you use CRT, connect the jamma and disconnect the VGA connector.
If you use LCD, connect both the VGA HD connector and the JAMMA connector.
If you connect the JAMMA and VGA together, it defaults to use VGA output."

I also remember someone buying a 3 HD and having a similar problem to you. Maybe the board is defective.and thinks it's in 31k mode.

Last edited: