Altered Carbon

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
I'm about four episodes in and definitely liking the show however I find the accents on some of the characters tough to understand at times. Without rewatching some of the first two episodes I'm still trying to figure out just exactly what resistance kovachs is actually part of and what they are trying to fight against/for.

Loving this show! Im on episode 7 and so far I think it improves every episode. Like some of the others have mentioned there is some weak acting here and there, but given the premise of the show I guess they are free to just swap in better actors in the same role at any time. Lets hope it gets better next season and not worse, the show deffo has my attention I think they pulled it off pretty well. Ive been a netflix subscriber from the get go and I never thought I would see the day when netflix is making shows like this and stranger things and ozark.

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
I'm about four episodes in and definitely liking the show however I find the accents on some of the characters tough to understand at times. Without rewatching some of the first two episodes I'm still trying to figure out just exactly what resistance kovachs is actually part of and what they are trying to fight against/for.

They don’t really tell you what they are fighting for until the end. I only had trouble understanding Ortega at certain points.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I'm going to skip over much of this thread due to possible spoilers, but I'll say that I started the show this week, only mid way through episode 2. Its well done, I cannot complain a ton. Someone here described the acting as CW quality...I agree with that.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
They don’t really tell you what they are fighting for until the end. I only had trouble understanding Ortega at certain points.

Thanks,
I'm into 7 episodes now and I'm convinced it's the way the show's audio is mixed, it seems to get worse every episode. Ortega is downright impossible to understand 90% of the time to me as a result.
Irrespective of the above I'm still enjoying the show but as it goes on, It's starting to get very matrix-like with fantastical feats of strength, acrobatics, and plugging into the virtual.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I'm going to skip over much of this thread due to possible spoilers, but I'll say that I started the show this week, only mid way through episode 2. Its well done, I cannot complain a ton. Someone here described the acting as CW quality...I agree with that.

Overall, the series is a lot better than CW. I finished it last night and enjoyed it. The acting wasn’t top notch but I loved some of the characters, namely Leung (a nod to the HK gangster films “ultimate badass” who doesn’t say much but wrecks shit for the boss), Lizzie, and Poe. Overall, Poe was the best part of the show.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Overall, the series is a lot better than CW. I finished it last night and enjoyed it. The acting wasn’t top notch but I loved some of the characters, namely Leung (a nod to the HK gangster films “ultimate badass” who doesn’t say much but wrecks shit for the boss), Lizzie, and Poe. Overall, Poe was the best part of the show.

The amount of TLC in the show is impressive, and the primary reason why I'll watch it. Poe is interesting indeed, I hope they give a bit more info about him.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Watched the first episode, finally. Pretty good start, interesting, high production values. Kinnamon can't act to save his life but for some reason it doesn't bother me at all in AC.

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
Saw this end to end over a couple of long flights. Had no idea what it was upfront, went in completely blind. Absolutely loved it. It's far from perfect, but very enjoyable to see this kind of story so well produced. There were a few great ideas in how this future world is put together, and to its credit the shows does explore them further than one might expect.

Kinnamon can't act to save his life but for some reason it doesn't bother me at all in AC.

Well put. It's hard to say exactly why, but he's an unexpectedly good match here. Best thing I've seen out of him thus far.

Rocko

Galford's Armourer
I was forced to watch the first episode. I didn't like it at all. I like the concept and everything but it just didn't impress me at all.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Finished the series last night. Last three episodes or so were much better than the rest of the season, IMO.

Fun show, overall. WEIRD acting. Kinnaman was okay, though not good. Lachman was as bad as he was. Kel's actress was awful.

Then you get Poe, Elliot, and Bancroft all actually being played pretty well. Those three were far and away the best characters, too.

I'd watch a second season.
Spoiler:
Seems like the Asian guy would be the lead, though, which, I dunno, would be alright I guess. Kel's such an awful character, though, I don't know if I can take much focus on her.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I don’t see where the story would go in a second season, without going into superheroes territory (heroes, helix, etc all become unbearably comical).

My hope is that the show is done. It was a good time. I don’t want to see it destroyed for paychecks.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Yeah, I can't see there being a second series. They seemed to tie it off.

Great show, I really enjoyed it. It didn't try to be something it wasn't.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Why haven't armoured gorgets become commonplace?
I'm not quite finished yet, but this is my main question after watching 7 episodes....

Also,
Spoiler:
that starfish knife was fucking brutual. I had to pause during that elevator scene..

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
I really liked the show. Acting was not great but decent enough to keep me entertained.

I do believe a second season is in the works.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Spoiler:

• Lizzie was a miss for me. that plot line was a waste of time and focus. plus the S&M outfit at the end was just comical.
• I liked the outcome for the Bancroft murder/suicide. the real story actually made sense. Seeing him conflicted at the end was great.
• Poe was one of the better AI's i've seen a long time.
• the Sibling rivalry was interesting, but it went on a bit long.
• Fight scenes were rather good throughout. I think people are overlooking that. Way better than Iron Fist.
• I have a hard time believing an Envoy would actual develop feelings all of a sudden. Comes back from darkness and he makes friends and a new lover.
• Wish there was more Elder plot. Reminded me of the Lucasarts game "the Dig". Long life, corruption, etc...

ended better than it started IMO.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
Spoiler:
Seems like the Asian guy would be the lead, though, which, I dunno, would be alright I guess. Kel's such an awful character, though, I don't know if I can take much focus on her.
I have no idea how much the series follows the books, but
Spoiler:
the main character does get sent off of Earth entirely at the end of the first book. He proceeds from there in an "Afro-Caribbean" sleeve in a war on Sanction IV.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I have no idea how much the series follows the books, but
Spoiler:
the main character does get sent off of Earth entirely at the end of the first book. He proceeds from there in an "Afro-Caribbean" sleeve in a war on Sanction IV.

No kidding. Huh.

I haven't read the books, so I can't speak to it, either. Sounds like the showrunners would like a second season, but Netflix hasn't greenlit it yet. Sort of an interesting case, in that it's likely relatively popular, but it's also Netflix's most expensive show to make and it was overshadowed by Netflix itself when it released by having way more attention on Cloverfield.