Altered Carbon

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Netflix has a tv show called Altered Carbon. I watched a couple of episodes and it feels like it was inspired by Ghost in the Shell, Blade Runner, and Total Recall. Very cyber punk and noir. A guerrilla super soldier is brought back to life 250 years after being killed, to investigate the allege murder of a social elite.

2 episodes in and I am enjoying it. The acting can be bad at times, but the effects, direction, and production is great.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I remember reading the book way back when it came out and thinking it was good, but never revisited it. Not sure why... may have lost track of it before any sequels came out.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I saw the preview for it and thought "hmmmm..."

but now I'm wondering "huuuh?..."

perhaps I'll give it a try after I'm done with Deep Space Nine(had the flu for awhile & started watching it again for the hell of it.. now I have to finish it)

:spock:

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Can't wait to jump into this, but I'm prepared for yet another blown attempt at a cyberpunk TV show.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
The series creator, Laeta Kalogridis, is a mixed bag. Shutter Island was ok, Pathfinder pretty unnecessary. But production values seem to be top notch and fakeXsound's premise is tempting, too ;).

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I will "acquire" this later... and if Wasabi has recommended another weirdass show I don't like...

It's gonna be WAR'Z!

xROTx

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Watched the first 3 episodes so far and I think it's pretty good. After watching The Killing it's good to see Joel Kinnaman I think he plays the role well.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Really looking forward to this. I love cyberpunk!

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
By episode 3 my interest was peaked, but once you hit episode 7 it starts to feel like a CW superhero show. The set and costume design is great, the special effects are decent, but where this show loses me sometimes is in the direction choices. Almost every set is lit flat like a TV show which is weird for such a gritty concept.

IcBlUsCrN

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Ive been waiting for some down time to watch this . i listened to the book and it was alright but really liked the world it was set in. Comparing it to Cw superhero show says alot of the wrong stuff. I have a hard time making it past episode 3-4 of most shows specially netflix ones . well see.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Watching the trailer...it looks like beautiful fluff. Even in the short time watching the trailer, the acting seems seriously sub par. The "CW" comparison seems rather fitting.

I'll watch an episode or two when/if I run out of things to watch. For now, I'm consuming Dirty Money...which has been awesome.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
6 episodes in... I'm enjoying it...

MUCH better than.. The Punisher TV series I watched recently...

xROTx

PS. I am awaiting Season 3 of Hap and Leonard... James Purefoy is in that as well... Great show..

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
4 episodes in and I'm loving it. Seems like it has some bite.. a few cool Bladerunner homages in there too. So far it's a 9/10 for me.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
6 episodes in... I'm enjoying it...

MUCH better than.. The Punisher TV series I watched recently...

xROTx

PS. I am awaiting Season 3 of Hap and Leonard... James Purefoy is in that as well... Great show..

The Punisher was just fucking awful...with random, tiny moments of awesome sprinkled in for good measure...

jeffkun34

20 Year Member
Finished the season last night. The twist with the real enemy of the show was interesting but weird at the same time. They finally made a ton of the cryptic stuff from earlier pay off in the end which made the last 3 episodes full of necessary backstory.

My main problem with the show was that I did not really care about the characters until the last 4 episodes when they finally started humanizing some of them. Before then, everyone was a stereotype whose motivations were simply told to us instead of showing them having believable emotional interactions with each other. I still liked the show early on for the world building and murder mystery, but the characters themselves fell flat in a lot of ways. I hope it gets renewed for a second season and we already know what the plot will be.

Kudos to Dichen Lachman on the naked fight scene. I never expected anything like that in this show. This show was nearing West World levels of nudity at the end.

uiengineer

Kasumi Todoh's Training Partner
this one is in my watchlist. i'll get to it eventually.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I watched the first episode last night. It's super cheesy. I'll watch the second episode. If that doesn't grab me, I'm out.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
watched the full season, few ideas are worth further elaboration (missing in the show), reminds me a lot of a comic book type of characters, which while not necessarily a con, left me feeling it is not a pro either.

I must admit I've been tempted to fast forward few (maybe too many) scenes, really prolix and frankly not leading anywhere.

Said that, it has been nice going back to a "classic" cyberpunk/noir world... still prefer West World though.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
watched the full season, few ideas are worth further elaboration (missing in the show), reminds me a lot of a comic book type of characters, which while not necessarily a con, left me feeling it is not a pro either.

I must admit I've been tempted to fast forward few (maybe too many) scenes, really prolix and frankly not leading anywhere.

Said that, it has been nice going back to a "classic" cyberpunk/noir world... still prefer West World though.

West World is brilliant

Last edited:

jeffkun34

20 Year Member
The most interesting thing to me character wise: (Don't click if you have not watched):

Spoiler:
For an AI, Poe's character was the most fleshed out. I like that he was obsessed with being as human as possible and in the end he was worried that he made Liz less human by turning her into a killing machine.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
The most interesting thing to me character wise: (Don't click if you have not watched):

Spoiler:
For an AI, Poe's character was the most fleshed out. I like that he was obsessed with being as human as possible and in the end he was worried that he made Liz less human by turning her into a killing machine.

reply:
Spoiler:
Agree, that part was definitively not "main stream" and properly developed/brought to completion...especially in today's context, it is hard making an heroine without leaving that PC aftertaste (see StarWars TFA/LJ) but I felt no influence from politics... just the genesis of a strong character.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Great show!

Doesn't take itself too seriously which is what you want when it comes to Cyberpunk. A little suspension of disbelief goes a long way and allows you to enjoy it for what it is.

Also, Martha Higareda is haaawwwwttt! :loco: