Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When it snows...

I was Born This Ugly.
    Quote Originally Posted by M View Post
    Another winter-related thing I just remembered: When I was a kid, and the weather was bad, but we still had school, they'd make us stay inside the gymnasium for lunch recess instead of letting us go outside to play, so we wouldn't get frostbite or whatever. I hated that, 'cuz it was boring as hell--they wouldn't let you play basketball, run laps, horse around, or do anything like that, even though it was the gym, all you could do was sit or stand in huddles with other kids until class began again, and, maybe, if you were lucky, you had the foresight to bring a Gameboy or something with you to pass the time. I don't think they do that anymore; now, I think they just cancel school altogether. I believe it's a liability thing, 'cuz if somebody's kid does get frostbite waiting for the bus or playing outside at recess the school will almost surely get sued.
    It depends...sub 32F or rain...they'll keep my 9 year old and her classmates indoors.
    Currently seeking the SNES limited ocean blue cart- Alexander Popov's Communist Swimming. Holla at your boy if you have one.

Clow Warlord of Neo-Geo...for one glorious day!
    The CLOW Empire as the Warlord of CLOW!!!
    What is this snow and winter everyone's talking about?!!

There's been NO winter in Phoenix. Hell, 8 of the last 9 days have been 80's+ with temps heading near the mid 80's this week. Overnight's been cool but no temps at or below freezing this year. Up north in Flagstaff they haven't even gotten a foot of snow this season when they should've had several.

"Everything will surely be all right." 「絶対大丈夫だよ。」, "Zettai daijōbu da yo."
    "Force without Master, heed the call of my Staff of Dreams, and become my power! SECURE!!!"

FFAANNYYYY
    CCUUMMMMMM
    AAANNDDEERRR!!
    When I was about 8 years old we got like 5 feet of snow. We lived on the corner of the block, so we had a shitload of shoveling to do. My dad, my two older brothers and I spent a few hours clearing the sidewalks and then digging out the car so we could go to the store, and not five seconds after we pulled out of the parking space some guy tried to pull in and park there.

My dad told him there was no fucking way. The guy said it's a public street and nobody owns the space, but my dad told him if he parked there he was getting the shit beaten out of him as soon as he opened his door. We didn't shovel that space out for his benefit. So after the dude left my dad had one of my brothers stay in the spot in a lawn chair until we got home.

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
    Don't fuck with Famicommander's dad! I'd do the same thing. If some random dude wanted the parking space that I just killed myself digging out of a mountain of snow, I'd be pissed too. He can grab a shovel and excavate his own!
    "My wife and I got a rule, we only smoke after sex. Iíve had the same pack of cigarettes since 1975!"
    - Rodney Dangerfield

In search of monsters to destroy
    You don't fuck with someone's parking chair and you sure as shit better not care about your car if you move a chair to park there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parking_chair
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
    Damn, I can't believe that has its own Wikipedia entry--crazy! I've never seen anybody use a chair locally, but I have seen sawhorses and snow scoops left in driveways for the same effect.
    "My wife and I got a rule, we only smoke after sex. Iíve had the same pack of cigarettes since 1975!"
    - Rodney Dangerfield

I was Born This Ugly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcademan View Post
    What is this snow and winter everyone's talking about?!!

There's been NO winter in Phoenix. Hell, 8 of the last 9 days have been 80's+ with temps heading near the mid 80's this week. Overnight's been cool but no temps at or below freezing this year. Up north in Flagstaff they haven't even gotten a foot of snow this season when they should've had several.
    We moved from Illinois to Phoenix when I was a kid, we arrived in Jan and when we left, it was the typical miserable, fucking cold, snow on the ground weather you'd expect around here. When we arrived, I cant recall exactly what the weather was...but I know it was amazing. My first day of school, I wore a light jacket, other kids were all bundled up, it struck me as amusing.

Why my parents moved us back to this god forsaken part of the country is beyond me...I fucking despise winter and everything to do with it.
    Currently seeking the SNES limited ocean blue cart- Alexander Popov's Communist Swimming. Holla at your boy if you have one.

FFAANNYYYY
    CCUUMMMMMM
    AAANNDDEERRR!!
    Quote Originally Posted by lithy View Post
    You don't fuck with someone's parking chair and you sure as shit better not care about your car if you move a chair to park there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parking_chair
    Damn, I didn't know this was a really common thing.

After we left that house we had a driveway, so it wasn't a real issue anymore.

NEST Puppet

People get shot in Philly for doing stealing peoples chair spots...

drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dochartaigh View Post
    People get shot in Philly for doing stealing peoples chair spots...
    For doing stealing?

what the fuck are you on about.

!!

NEST Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by lachlan View Post
    For doing stealing?
    lol, some bad typage there. I was talking about how people have been shot for taking somebodies "claimed" parking spot in Philadelphia before (and probably in every other major city in America) – especially when they just spent hours shoveling that spot out.

Crap they're tearing down the Palace of Auburn Hills. I guess it's I-75 & M-59 now.
    People get shot for way less too.

Disrespecting someone has caused more shootings than anything else I know of.

Honourary Irishman.
    We don't get snow here really. Last proper one we got was 2010. Whole country shut down. They don't have the infrastructure to tackle snow days here. Not their fault really. It just doesn't snow here.
    cool dude

And just like that, the damn daycare is closed because there is 2-3 inches on the ground and some 'wintry mix' forecasted later.

Reichsf?rer-Finnland
    Last week we had 30cm/12" of snow in a single night.

I was Born This Ugly.
    Got my power bill for Jan and nearly crapped my pants...it was nearly double Dec. My power company will tell you average data, and even compare it to the same time the year before. The average temp for us in Jan '18 was 19F, Jan of '17 it was 34F. We do not keep our house very warm in the winter, but my gas bill was still a munch in the butthole...

And it's supposed to snow 1-3 tomorrow, and 3-5 on Sat, and 1-3 on Sun, and be -2F on Monday...fuck me.

drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.
    Do you guys have smart meters over there?

!!

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
    What do you mean by smart meters? The kind that regulate thermostats and stuff like that via your smartphone? The new electric/water meters we got several years back only transmit your wattage/gallon usage to the city's DPW (Department of Public Works) vehicles when they pass by on your street (they used to have to send a guy around to manually read the meters on the outside of your house instead), but that's as "smart" as ours get around here. At one of the past city council meetings I attended, I remember there being some talk about getting ones that you could monitor online and do other neat-o stuff with, but I think they were just too expensive for our small community.
    - Rodney Dangerfield

He probably mean meters that record peak and off-peak usage. To my knowledge there aren't many if any at all cities/regions in the US that use these meters yet. They are common in Europe, Canada, and many other places I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Famicommander View Post
    When I was about 8 years old we got like 5 feet of snow. We lived on the corner of the block, so we had a shitload of shoveling to do. My dad, my two older brothers and I spent a few hours clearing the sidewalks and then digging out the car so we could go to the store, and not five seconds after we pulled out of the parking space some guy tried to pull in and park there.

My dad told him there was no fucking way. The guy said it's a public street and nobody owns the space, but my dad told him if he parked there he was getting the shit beaten out of him as soon as he opened his door. We didn't shovel that space out for his benefit. So after the dude left my dad had one of my brothers stay in the spot in a lawn chair until we got home.
    I think I saw a story on something like that recently where somebody did in fact park their car in a space that took hours to get out, so the original person who dug up the snow put the snow back on top of the new car.
    "Don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma-which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary."

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!

I have earned the
    right to PM Rot.
    School got canceled here last night at 9pm even before it started snowing. That never happened when I was in school. Kids these days...

Gandalf Of Gibberish
    when it snows the wind chill is usually better than 20fahrenheits below zero

which is a part of most days now with lows around 35 below overnight with wind chill factord in
    Last edited by Karou; 02-09-2018 at 02:50 PM.

Buriki One Master The_Chosen_One's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChopstickSamurai View Post
    School got canceled here last night at 9pm even before it started snowing. That never happened when I was in school. Kids these days...
    This is what happens every time here in Oklahoma. The threat of 2í of snow and everyone cancels school. If we actually get any snow itís like the city becomes a ghost town.

What really blows my mind is that every time the news says we have a chance of snow, people flood to the grocery stores and buy out all the basics like bread and milk. Itís Oklahoma for Christ sake, if we get snow itíll be gone in a day or two, itís not like weíre suddenly going to have an apocalyptic storm where you might starve because you canít leave the house for a month.

The real irony is during tornado season everyone stands outside watching.

AH
    A
    COLUMBIAN!
    No snow down here. I have never ever seen snow

Thread Information