Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When it snows...

Crap they're tearing down the Palace of Auburn Hills. I guess it's I-75 & M-59 now.

When it snows...

What does your community do?

Living in Michigan, there are plow trucks but every once in a while...snow days! No school but most businesses are open.

When I lived in Wichita, Kansas, 6 inches of snow shutdown the city, nothing open for 2 days. When the "storm", lol, hit I was at work and a couple guys went to get beer. We drove all over looking for an open store when the police pulled me over. The cop asked me what's wrong with me? Me...what? The officer said everything's closed and the roads are dangerous! I said Sir I'm from Detroit, this guy is from Chicago and the other's from Syracuse, no worries here.

He said watch out for other drivers and that was that.

The temperature was below freezing for 2 weeks so it melted then.

Not that my story is particularly interesting but one of you may have a hilarious story or incident.

FFAANNYYYY
    CCUUMMMMMM
    AAANNDDEERRR!!
    Live continues on as normal, except assholes who moved here from California and Texas constantly get their cars stuck or smash them into shit.

Crap they're tearing down the Palace of Auburn Hills. I guess it's I-75 & M-59 now.
    We have a lot of accidents the first snow fall because too many forget how to drive in it.

Blacknoah Boatswain's Mate
    When you're walkin' in the snow
    And you feel somethin' blow
    Diarea, cha cha cha
    Diarea

PS: Here, you're expected to be at work at the same time as if it didn't snow. If you drive a little bit slower just to be careful, some people will beep at you. Your sneakers will crunch with sand and salt until the spring.

In truth be told
    You Have a
    Crappy username.
    All activity and life as we know it ceases to exist. Despite the fact that it snows once or twice a year in NC, they have ZERO infrastructure to handle it and no one seems to know what to do. The National Guard seems to get called in once a year because we get a couple of inches. From someone who spent a lot of time in the Northeast, it's fucking embarrassing.

Prime example of how incompetent people in this area are when snow is involved...

Up here in Bold North MN, it's like second nature to us. Shit doesn't get shut down; you're expected to be at work with 6 inches of snow on the ground. Retards forget how to drive and end up in the ditch. I grew up in the shit and can get myself out of getting stuck; just have a shovel and some grit or kitty litter.

Side streets are fucked for like 1-2 days until they get plowed, major roadways are fine.

Pre-Order now to avoid disappointment.

I was Born This Ugly.
    It takes quite a bit to shut things down around here (mid Illinois)...perhaps an ice storm? Typically, we get "irritating" amounts of snow...as in 1-5" tops, or bullshit like black ice. It's been some time since we got slammed with a foot of snow or better.

I'm not sure what it would take for my boss to shut down the company...in all my years here, I think he has only done it once or twice and it was during awful winter storms. Winter of 14, we got a 6-8" snowfall followed by falling temps down to around the -25F range, wind chills in the -40F range. Fucker would not shut down the company...I had to go shovel myself out of my driveway so I could get to work that morning.
    Currently seeking the SNES limited ocean blue cart- Alexander Popov's Communist Swimming. Holla at your boy if you have one.

In search of monsters to destroy
    Seems like each year there are more and more days when school closes for snow despite the accumulation being under 6". Pussies.
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
    When it snows:

- In the morning I spend 1-2 hours shoveling the front yard out and a path around the house to the oil/gas tanks.
    - The snow plow comes around and always fills my front yard in again, and sometimes the side/back of the yard too if he's really going fast and has the plow's scoop angled up too high.
    - I get home later in the day to find the city's "gift" to me, curse, and have to shovel it all out again.
    - For added "fun", my house has a metal roof, so, even on days when we don't have any snowfall, sometimes all of that slides off and I have to shovel anyway (I've got a roof rake, but generally I don't bother being proactive and pulling the snow down off of the roof beforehand unless it's getting too thick/heavy).

Rinse/Repeat.

If we get a lot of snow, which we frequently do, or it's too icy or the windchill is too low, schools are usually closed, and some businesses, but city operations (post office, city hall, etc.) usually stay open unless things are truly horrific. I have noticed that schools are closing a lot more often now than they used to when I was a kid. Stuff I would have had to slog through is too rough for today's tykes I guess . . .
    Last edited by M; 02-05-2018 at 10:47 AM. Reason: corrected grammar
    "My wife and I got a rule, we only smoke after sex. Iíve had the same pack of cigarettes since 1975!"
    - Rodney Dangerfield

I ski every day. And it's snowing right now so the skiing will be good.

What a long, strange trip it's been. And still we roll down this baffling road, missing those who have left us. Daisuke Jigen, Sifl, SNK4EVER, Nightmare_Tony, Boog, Zero Satori. Gone but not forgotten.

In search of monsters to destroy
    Quote Originally Posted by M View Post
    When it snows:

- In the morning I spend 1-2 hours shoveling the front yard out and a path around the house to the oil/gas tanks.
    - The snow plow comes around and always fills my front yard in again, and sometimes the side/back of the yard too if he's really going fast and has the plow's scoop angled up too high.
    - I get home later in the day to find the city's "gift" to me, curse, and have to shovel it all out again.
    - For added "fun", my house has a metal roof, so, even on days when we don't have any snowfall, sometimes all of that slides off and I have to shovel anyway (I've got a roof rake, but generally I don't bother being proactive and pulling the snow down off of the roof beforehand unless it's getting too thick/heavy).

Rinse/Repeat.

If we get a lot of snow, which we frequently do, or it's too icy or the windchill is too low, schools are usually closed, and some businesses, but city operations (post office, city hall, etc.) usually stay open unless things are truly horrific. I have noticed that schools are closing a lot more often now than they used to when I was a kid. Stuff I would have had to slog through is too rough for today's tykes I guess . . .
    Yooper?
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.

赤裸裸的汽車人
    Nothing shuts down unless there is a bunch of snow all at once. Last time there was a shutdown for me, my area was closed for a week but 2 miles away was just fine.

dude, you're awful at this, you didn't even tried.

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by lithy View Post
    Yooper?
    Yes, indeed! I gotta move South to a warmer state one of these days . . .

A lot of seniors around here go to Florida for the winters and are affectionately known as "snowbirds".
    "My wife and I got a rule, we only smoke after sex. Iíve had the same pack of cigarettes since 1975!"
    - Rodney Dangerfield

drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.
    If it snows here we usually start running around screaming and filming it, at the same time. There is also the possibility of public nudity.

!!

I was Born This Ugly.
    I will say that the idea of living in a large city where I never have to drive would pretty awesome when there's winter storms. 10" of snow? Who cares...take the subway...

I freaking despise winter storm white-knuckle driving...stresses me out to the max. I do have a nice 4x4 truck on solid tires, so now I'm only afraid of seriously deep snow or ice...
    Currently seeking the SNES limited ocean blue cart- Alexander Popov's Communist Swimming. Holla at your boy if you have one.

Been There.
    Done That.
    It Was Shit.
    I once made a snow angel while nude. Not as fun as it sounds...

I asked for a
    Custom Rank and
    Learned My Lesson.

It snows once every few years here in the desert. With even the slightest bit on the ground, they cancel everything. Everyone takes the opportunity to make sad, sandy snowmen.
    I turned off signatures. So should you.

Gandalf Of Gibberish
    we used to be best buddies and now we are not I wish you would tell me why

A Joala is for Life.
    Not Just Christmas.
    Not sure we'll ever see snow here but when its been raining, people forget their shit and drive like 90 year old women
    Spice god of Borneo...my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart

I was Born This Ugly.
    Speak of the devil...5-10" of snow dumped on us last night (the totals varied quite a bit locally).

I guess I hate the "work before work" part of overnight snows...get up, get geared up, go shovel snow/clean off the vehicles, go back in, shower, get ready for work...that does suck. That and it's -1 outside...

We're slated to get another 2-6" again tonight.

Driving in to work today, I was behind this ratty old HHR. The thing clearly had bald tires as every time the person would brake, the rear end would swing out, when they tried to accelerate from a stop, they would just sit there, tires spinning. Funny enough, after following the moron, he/she turned into the gym...so you gots $$ for a gym membership, BUTTT...not tires to get there safely.

I shouldn't assume

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
    Yo, Smokehouse (or anybody else in cold states), do they have overnight winter parking bans where you live? Here, from November to April, you can't park on the streets from around 10 PM-8 AM, or the police will give you a ticket (never had one, but I think it's in the $30-50 range). The reasoning is that the plows can't effectively clean the streets if everyone is parked on them. Problem is, the city often still doesn't get things plowed until after 8 AM, when you can park on the streets again, which causes problems, as the plow has to weave around vehicles parked in the street which leaves big, car-sized rectangles of snow behind. Another thing people like to complain about: on Sundays when it snows, people go to church and then sometimes the plow is late, goes by, and fills in the entrances to the parking lots and nobody can get out again after the service without shoveling or risking getting stuck when they try to drive over the snow mounds. God always looks out for his devout worshipers like that!
    - Rodney Dangerfield

NEST Puppet

I can't stand it when I'm driving behind a 6,600 pound AWD/4WD Lincoln Navigator, Ford Expedition (insert obscenely large truck model people commute 30+ miles each way commonly drive for some reason...), or the dually pickup truck or lifted white-trash pickup truck with HUGE studded tires (which has never towed anything in it's life)...both of which are driving 12 MPH in a 50 MPH zone with 1" of snow on the ground... then when I put my blinker on (in my FWD Honda Accord) and safely pass them going like 28 mph, they give me the finger, honk, and act like I'm the bad driver...

FFAANNYYYY
    CCUUMMMMMM
    AAANNDDEERRR!!
    My street doesn't even get plowed and I live on a giant hill and drive a two wheel drive car. People just need to stop being pussies and learn to fucking drive.

I was Born This Ugly.
    Quote Originally Posted by M View Post
    Yo, Smokehouse (or anybody else in cold states), do they have overnight winter parking bans where you live? Here, from November to April, you can't park on the streets from around 10 PM-8 AM, or the police will give you a ticket (never had one, but I think it's in the $30-50 range). The reasoning is that the plows can't effectively clean the streets if everyone is parked on them. Problem is, the city often still doesn't get things plowed until after 8 AM, when you can park on the streets again, which causes problems, as the plow has to weave around vehicles parked in the street which leaves big, car-sized rectangles of snow behind. Another thing people like to complain about: on Sundays when it snows, people go to church and then sometimes the plow is late, goes by, and fills in the entrances to the parking lots and nobody can get out again after the service without shoveling or risking getting stuck when they try to drive over the snow mounds. God always looks out for his devout worshipers like that!
    Yes, there's plenty of places where a parking ban will be enforced when it snows...sadly, not in my neighborhood through. In 14 years, I cannot believe that those giant plow trucks haven't nailed one of those parked cars.

Which brings me to an unrelated gripe...people lining the streets with cars when they have an empty driveway and garage. When assholes line the street with their cars, it will often turn the road into a single, one car lane. Ive lost count how many times I have to sit and wave people on so they can pass...so I can move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dochartaigh View Post
    I can't stand it when I'm driving behind a 6,600 pound AWD/4WD Lincoln Navigator, Ford Expedition (insert obscenely large truck model people commute 30+ miles each way commonly drive for some reason...), or the dually pickup truck or lifted white-trash pickup truck with HUGE studded tires (which has never towed anything in it's life)...both of which are driving 12 MPH in a 50 MPH zone with 1" of snow on the ground... then when I put my blinker on (in my FWD Honda Accord) and safely pass them going like 28 mph, they give me the finger, honk, and act like I'm the bad driver...
    One thing that I really do not get about the "giant vehicle" people is their absurd obsession with mud rated tires in a place with heavy snowfall. Many of them are not rated for snow and a flat out dangerous to drive in it. Chunky, knobby tires or no, if they for mud and non freezing conditions, they're useless. My truck tires don't look super "fancy"...but they get superb traction when it snows.

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
    Another winter-related thing I just remembered: When I was a kid, and the weather was bad, but we still had school, they'd make us stay inside the gymnasium for lunch recess instead of letting us go outside to play, so we wouldn't get frostbite or whatever. I hated that, 'cuz it was boring as hell--they wouldn't let you play basketball, run laps, horse around, or do anything like that, even though it was the gym, all you could do was sit or stand in huddles with other kids until class began again, and, maybe, if you were lucky, you had the foresight to bring a Gameboy or something with you to pass the time. I don't think they do that anymore; now, I think they just cancel school altogether. I believe it's a liability thing, 'cuz if somebody's kid does get frostbite waiting for the bus or playing outside at recess the school will almost surely get sued.
    - Rodney Dangerfield

Thread Information