NeoGeo Time going untra fast / speeding.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
I have an intermittant fault coming on my MV1-FS. It seems that sometimes the time goes into overdrive and is speeding along like no tomorrow.

Anyone else seen this problem and if so is it an easy fix? While it speeds this way does it also drain the backupRAM battery quicker?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I'm not sure its the crystal as when this is happening if I set the time in test mode it will stop. Could defo be the 4990... I'm really intrested to know if others have seen this situation and what they did to fix it.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
This use to happen to my MV1C, before it died of probably unrelated causes.

I would just clear backup ram or turn it off and remove the battery and reinstall it and it would clear it up.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
I have this same issue on an MV1FZ, I have just ignored it TBH.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Good to know others have seen the same thing also. Would be good to know exactly what the issue is here. It will have an effect on some games that use the calander.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
My 4 slot does this... doesn't seem to really affect anything but the calendar for bookkeeping...

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
iirc it's the 4990

Thanks, if the 4990 is faulty in this state do you know if it takes extra power from the battery when the system is powered off?

Last edited:

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
This used to happen to my 4 slot. I put a fresh battery in the coin cell holder, set the time and it's be fine every since.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
This used to happen to my 4 slot. I put a fresh battery in the coin cell holder, set the time and it's be fine every since.

Hmmm, I wonder is this possibly means the 4990 (older spec) goes into this state when the battery is flat until the time is manually set again?

furrtek

Super Sidekicks 2
I've had that happen a few times also. I didn't take precise notes but I remember that when probing the crystal pins with a scope, it stopped oscillation.
The battery voltage was below 2V and just replacing it got it to count seconds correctly again (and probing the crystal again showed a clean sine).

I thought the 4990 wouldn't get the configuration bits correctly and set TP to 64Hz instead of 1Hz, but it seems that TP is only used during the startup self-tests, not in the bios menu ?
Maybe a more plausible cause would be the crystal oscillator giving a distorted signal when the voltage is too low, so the 4990 starts counting on overtones ?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Im my case at least there could be an issue with undervoltage as far as the battery is concerned. I'm currently waiting on some replacement batteries in the post.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I have had the replacement CR2032 battery on my MV-1FS for a good few days now and so far the speeding time issue has not happened again. I think there could be some truth in undervolt being the issue.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
I have had the replacement CR2032 battery on my MV-1FS for a good few days now and so far the speeding time issue has not happened again. I think there could be some truth in undervolt being the issue.

Nice I'll give that a try on my MV1-FZ too and report back. I think I have a spare coin cell holder around here somewhere..

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
OK so I replaced the dead battery on my MV1-FZ with a battery holder and CR2032 coin cell using the JNX guide.

I can confirm this has resolved the ultra fast clock issue for me too! :)