Jaleco back in the day (quality company)

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Was the only company other than the few big ones making a concerted effort to output quality fighting games and beat'em ups on the SNES/SFC.
As popular as the genre was in the 90s, there was next to nothing of worth coming out from companies other than Capcom, Konami, Midway and whoever else (the big guns).
Maybe it was the complexity in making a decent fighting game from scratch (I don't include Takara in this as they did ports/conversions).

The Rushing Beat series and Dead Dance/Tuff Enuff are far from perfect (Rushing Beat 1 was shit unfortunately, the rest of the saga was fun), but what other company put in the work the way Jaleco did? Culture Brain didn't cut it for instance. From the little I have played of something like Iron Commando (years later), it just didn't cut it, way too rough around the edges.

I have fond memories of playing Jaleco games back then, even if as with so many action packed SNES games the whole experience felt somewhat muted

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Technos via Super Double Dragon and maybe Irem with Ranma and the sequel. But these wheren't exactly minor players.

Steve

The Wonder Years,
Iron Commando was such a massive disappointment for me. I always found Rival Turf to be not as bad as many made it out to be, and I always had a bit of a thing for Brawl Brothers. Peace Keepers US port was pretty piss poor but still a very playable game. I have yet to play Tuff Enuff but heard plenty of decent things about it. On my long ass queue lol

Edit: Operation Logic Bomb is pretty solid and underrated too.

Last edited:

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
City Connection was awesome.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
logo.png

Maury V.

Lucky Glauber's #1 Fan,
Rushing Beat Ran and Shura are amazing games. I found Shura for $15 when it markets for damn near $90!

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I liked Rival Turf a lot. Not sure where that falls in the Rushing Beat series.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, wasn't Tokyo Drift Jaleco too? I loved that game.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
My favorite game of theirs is Carrier. Super Based Loaded is solid, too. Atlanta Amoebas :buttrock:

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I liked Rival Turf a lot. Not sure where that falls in the Rushing Beat series.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, wasn't Tokyo Drift Jaleco too? I loved that game.

Tokyo Highway Battle? That was published in the US but not developed by them, I really dug that on the PS1

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Rival Turf was our poor man's 2-player Final Fight at the time. Not bad.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
My favorite Jaleco game of all time is probably Saint Dragon. That soundtrack? In '89? So awesome! The chillout vibe of the second stage gets me EVERY TIME ... I wish I had the original board.

Steve

The Wonder Years,
My favorite game of theirs is Carrier. Super Based Loaded is solid, too. Atlanta Amoebas :buttrock:

Jaleco is often linked with Super Bases Loaded but in reality TOSE developed those games. Jaleco only published them.

At any rate, Super Bases Loaded 2 on SNES is underrated AF. One of my favorite baseball games on the system.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Special mention to EDF on the snes i've played that game a lot over the year's, fab shooter.

2Heed

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
20 Year Member
Special mention to EDF on the snes i've played that game a lot over the year's, fab shooter.

I remember that game playable at a special SNES demo station at Wal-Mart of all places, back in the early 90s. It seemed like such a random choice for a demo game but it was very good from what I remember.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Rival Turf was our poor man's 2-player Final Fight at the time. Not bad.

yeah agreed, but it was pretty damn bad, very stiff animation and gameplay. still played it a shit ton until the sequel came out, which was very nice indeed, though to me, now closer to DD than FF

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I love Jaleco NES games. I remember when Bases Loaded was first shown on magazines and thought it was the best looking baseball game ever. It played alright too. I felt like they SNES lineup was not as strong and kinda faded away.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
yeah agreed, but it was pretty damn bad, very stiff animation and gameplay. still played it a shit ton until the sequel came out, which was very nice indeed, though to me, now closer to DD than FF
At least I didn't think it was bad at the time. I respected nearly everything on SNES back then it seems like. Even the bad games.

I still revere this series, perhaps unduly.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Astyanax, Totally Rad, Avenging Spirit, and Rod Land are my top Jaleco favorites. They certainly weren't a top-tier developer/publisher, but their stuff was usually decent.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
^Astyanax was developed by Aicom. Jaleco just published it.

I think Jaleco is ok.

The Rushing Beat series is kind of whack. I need to give Operation Logic Bomb another chance.

I've owned both the US and SFC carts in the past and sold both.

Hey Maurvy V wanna sell me your Rushing Beat Shura?

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
Rodland is fantastic. I also have a fondness for City Connection. Any game where you can run over cats automatically gets a pass for other problems in my book.