Some Japenese Text in Old Debug Bios

chromesphere

New Challenger
Hi guys,
Picked up an AES with an Old Debug Bios. Just wondering if anyone knows why some text in the bios comes up in japanese? See attached photo for an example. The system is japanese if that matters
Thanks for any help!
CS

Attachments

• 20180131_190902.jpg
    20180131_190902.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
That's normal on a Japanese system.

chromesphere

New Challenger
That's normal on a Japanese system.

Thanks for the reply Alec. So one more question, how do I know what it says :) Is there a manual for the debug bios or something?
Thanks again for any help, I appreciate your time.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The games each came with dip settings sheets. You may be able to find some online. Generally the Continue setting could be set to With, Without, or a set number of allowed continues

chromesphere

New Challenger
Thanks mate, that solves the continue options. There's some more pages with Japanese writing as well. I cant seem to find anything, video or screen shots, of an English debug bios unfortunately. I'll keep looking cheers.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Yes, agree.. even though IIRC, the debug bios should allow changing region/language...or was it only for the game and not the bios itself? anyway, Unibios can for sure save the config after poweroff, that alone seems to me worth!

(@chromesphere, just to be sure, the debug bios you have now, it has been soldered by someone right? I mean, it did not come as "stock" for that unit correct?)

scgon

Benimaru's Hairdresser
10 Year Member
just put google translate on your phone and hold it up to the screen...

chromesphere

New Challenger
Sorry forgot to respond,

Massimillano: yes the bios has been stacked ontop of the original bios, theres a resistor and some wires added. I can photograph if you want?

Scgon: Tried that, it just doesn't get it right.

Anyway, I think the best option is to replace it with unibios which I'll do at some point, thank you for all your help!