Why is Street Fighter Alpha 2 better than SFA3?

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
i think there's something that's lost in translation here :lolz:. when i say i was in school when street fighter alpha was released, i meant high school. i was a teenager when all of this went on, and i also grew up with the master system and nes. the master system was my first ever console which i picked over the nes and still regret doing to to this day.

Ah lol!
Yeah Master System was also my first console and I got really depressed when I lent it to David Pérez and he broke it.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
PS1's arranged soundtrack.

Speaking of arranged soundtracks, Zero 2 got the Underground Mixxes CD, which at the time I though was pretty nice. Haven't listened to it in ages, but I remember making a portion of Dan's theme remix as my alarm sound some years later.

Do soundtracks get remixed these days? I remember Tekken getting a ton of remix albums. Not to mention Final Fantasy soundtrack arrangements, which were an industry on its own. Celtic Moons, Piano arrangements, vocal arrangements, original, orchestral, you name it. Street Fighter got some, too. I was paying attention up until 3rd Strike.

I always thought this was pretty cool. Getting an orchestra to play some NES or SNES console tunes is one thing, but remixing studio recorded music is another. Maybe they still do it. Who the hell knows.

P.S. - I also remember Capcom's sountracks having the sound effects on the last track. An hour of grunts, punch sounds, announcers and screams. I guess some people just want it all.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
P.S. - I also remember Capcom's sountracks having the sound effects on the last track. An hour of grunts, punch sounds, announcers and screams. I guess some people just want it all.

I personally find nothing more satisfying than listening to an assortment of sound effects from video games.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
I personally find nothing more satisfying than listening to an assortment of sound effects from video games.

I bet you there are nerds out there, or even in here, who would put some moans on loop and jerk it.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Always preferred Alpha 2 (GOLD!). As mentioned before ISMs were not as good as the previous system where you had access to both supers and the combo thingy. The weird thing where you could cancel out of the air was bizarre.. I did like the roster though.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Kitchen sink gaming is not what makes a game better. Like Asid said, a smaller roster means more characters are different from each other and the lack of *isms* there's less lopsidedeness, if that's even a word. I've always liked A2 for as long as I can remember and only played A3 a handful of times. I can see the draw to it, but I feel A2 is more refined in many aspects.

All do respect, you just said this when referring to a game that has Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Dan, Sakura, AND Evil Ryu....

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I'm not sure Alpha 2 is better than Alpha 3. Personally I prefer Alpha 3, as it has more characters and backgrounds, including Guile. They are both excellent games.
Perhaps the boss (M. Bison) in Alpha 2 is better, as you have multiple chances to beat him. I was never a fan of the custom combos in SFA2- too easy to start one accidentally.
It's annoying to have to use two buttons to throw in SFA3. But maybe that's for the better, if the intention was to stop people spamming the throw move. A throw is almost as powerful as a special move.

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
All do respect, you just said this when referring to a game that has Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Dan, Sakura, AND Evil Ryu....

20rvbp.jpg

All jokes aside, you are right, there are way too many Shotos in the game. But if you cut alot of those worthless ones, i.e. Dan, Evil Ryu, and Sakura,(yea I said it), then the roster isn't that bad. From a gameplay perspective I feel A2 is more refined as well. The isms just never sat well with me. Just my opinion though.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
There's nothing like the look on someone's face when you beat their ass with Dan.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Kitchen sink gaming is not what makes a game better.

I feel the same way about a lot of games (SSIII obviously), and in SFA2’s case, I feel it captures the atmosphere and character of the series better than A3 with the soundtrack and the backgrounds.