Boxing thread

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Great fight tonight. Loma got dropped but eventually came back for a knockout combination that ended with a devastating left hook to the liver.

Loma better not try to go up another class though. He could easily have been put to sleep tonight, and he should absolutely NOT try to fight Mikey Garcia. Mikey would waste either of these two.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
Great fight!

Now I really want to see Loma up against Mikey Garcia. Money talks, so hopefully that gets made sooner rather than later.
Very tight, for me. But I'll go with Lomachenko again in that one. There will be spots where he's going to be taking shots but in the end his speed, movement and angles may get it done for him.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Loma had a tough night but held his own. Linares looked great and you could tell Loma needs to get used to opponents who outweigh him. In round 8, 9 and 10 he seemed to regain some of his lost confidence and that's when he truly outclasses anybody. Also, it showed clearly that Loma is not untouchable. What a fantastic fight!!!!

famicommander

15 Year Member
Great fight!

Now I really want to see Loma up against Mikey Garcia. Money talks, so hopefully that gets made sooner rather than later.
Very tight, for me. But I'll go with Lomachenko again in that one. There will be spots where he's going to be taking shots but in the end his speed, movement and angles may get it done for him.

Loma would 100% get smoked by Garcia. Mikey is better than Linares in every possible way, and bigger to boot

famicommander

15 Year Member
Are you putting money on it?

I would. I had Linares up in that fight before the KO and if Loma walks into a Garcia punch like he did on that knockdown last night, he isn't getting up. Loma can own 135 and below but at 140 he'll get blown up. Loma showed some footwork flaws and he came in with his gloves down way too much. He doesn't fear anybody's power.

Anyway, Vargas vs Hovhannisyan was a hell of a scrap. Munguia destroyed Ali.

EDIT:
Mikey stayed at 135 after winning a title at 140. So a fight with Loma may be at 135 but Mikey is still way bigger

Last edited:

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
I would. I had Linares up in that fight before the KO and if Loma walks into a Garcia punch like he did on that knockdown last night, he isn't getting up. Loma can own 135 and below but at 140 he'll get blown up. Loma showed some footwork flaws and he came in with his gloves down way too much. He doesn't fear anybody's power.

Garcia has clearly stated that he's more than willing to fight Loma at 135. I don't think that's just talk. MG can still make lightweight relatively comfortably.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Yeah, I had thought Mikey was keeping his 140 title and vacating 135 but he went the other way

Still, he's much better than Linares. Linares himself said so before the fight.

Garcia is too strong

famicommander

15 Year Member
Also, the NSAC should have let Munguia fight GGG. He would have been a much better opponent than Vanes was.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
Munguia looked huge at the weight. Ali was blown out of there. He was game but just completely overpowered.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Loma should go after Rey Beltran next. He has the WBO belt and Loma should waste him to unify the WBA (Super), Ring, and WBO belts.

WBC champ Garcia and IBF champ Robert Easter are unifying July 28.

So then Garcia vs Loma would be for the undisputed title

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Loma vs garcia would be a hell of a fight, gotta agree with you famicommander, garcia is too strong for him on past form and the shot loma took from linares would have probably sparked him if garcia had caught him with the same punch.
Saying that, the body shot from loma to finish linares was just pure class and i don't care how strong garcia is if he gets hit with 2 or 3 of them he's going down.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Linares could have beat Loma if his corner didn't tell him to unload. Linares just had to wait for Loma to side step left and hit him with a right hook. He got the first knockdown by timing Loma coming in. Good fight but his corner fucked it up. But it was worth it seeing Oscar get triggered because his 3 division 22 fight record got shattered.

As for Mikey, Mikey plants his feet way too much. The problem with Mikey is that his hard punches are all hooks and he has a huge tell, he ALWAYS swings his leg to the back as he winds up. If Loma picks up on that tell, Mikey won't land any clean power shots.

But before Mikey, I prefer he fight Gervonta, just to put him away. I honestly don't get the Davis hype at all. Every fight of his I saw, there was nothing special. I honestly don't know what Floyd sees in him.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Loma vs garcia would be a hell of a fight, gotta agree with you famicommander, garcia is too strong for him on past form and the shot loma took from linares would have probably sparked him if garcia had caught him with the same punch.
Saying that, the body shot from loma to finish linares was just pure class and i don't care how strong garcia is if he gets hit with 2 or 3 of them he's going down.

Two or three liver shots? Usually nobody gets up after one. When I used to box and got my first taste of a liver shot, OMG that shit just drops you. I was literally making the same sounds as that news reporter that was stomping grapes and fell on her face. That shit was a sharp pain that shot up my body and not to mention I couldn't breathe. After you get hit with one, you make sure to never leave that open and if your opponent gets that shot on you, they earned it.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Yeah, i agree xian, it's very rare a fighter can make a 10 count after taking a peach to the ribs, sickening shot. i was being a bit generous there saying 2 or 3.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Linares could have beat Loma if his corner didn't tell him to unload. Linares just had to wait for Loma to side step left and hit him with a right hook. He got the first knockdown by timing Loma coming in. Good fight but his corner fucked it up. But it was worth it seeing Oscar get triggered because his 3 division 22 fight record got shattered.

As for Mikey, Mikey plants his feet way too much. The problem with Mikey is that his hard punches are all hooks and he has a huge tell, he ALWAYS swings his leg to the back as he winds up. If Loma picks up on that tell, Mikey won't land any clean power shots.

But before Mikey, I prefer he fight Gervonta, just to put him away. I honestly don't get the Davis hype at all. Every fight of his I saw, there was nothing special. I honestly don't know what Floyd sees in him.

I like Gervonta a lot. He has a Tyson quality about him. Has a long way to go and might not be destined for all time greatness but he's definitely got the minerals in my opinion.

Mikey Garcia is boss, one of the most impressive pugilists I have watched in recent years.
I don't know who would win that honestly.

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
Some good fights tomorrow:
Gary Russell Jr vs JoJo Diaz for Russell's WBC featherweight title
Adonis Stevenson vs Badou Jack for Stevenson's WBC and lineal light heavyweight titles

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Some good fights tomorrow:
Gary Russell Jr vs JoJo Diaz for Russell's WBC featherweight title
Adonis Stevenson vs Badou Jack for Stevenson's WBC and lineal light heavyweight titles

Who you got?

Russell vs Diaz is hard to tell. You got Russell who has the fastest hands in boxing but is a prize fighter and then you have Diaz who truly loves boxing. Could be a battle of heart but as long as Diaz doesn't sit in front of Russell then he should be fine.

famicommander

15 Year Member
On paper Stevenson should KO Jack but Stevenson has mostly hid from real contenders.

Diaz is a huge underdog but I could see him catching Russell clean

famicommander

15 Year Member
Caught that IBF featherweight title fight on Youtube between Selby and Warrington. The right guy won but the judges nearly blew it.

I had it 118-110 Warrington. Scorecards came back 115-113 Selby, 115-113 Warrington, 116-112 Warrington.

I hope Jack wins tonight.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
Gary Russell too busy for Diaz. The jab set everything else up for him.
Some heavy duty body shots early on by the challenger but he couldn't keep it up. Good scrap.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I had Badou Jack 115-113 but I could easily see a draw in that fight.

Jack had the right strategy but he waited too long to hit the gas pedal. One round too late. Stevenson looked old, he'll lose a rematch if they do it.

Kovalev KOs either of these dudes.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
The draw was a fair result. But one more round and Stevenson gets ko'd. He was done near the end of the fight.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Tyson Fury has announced his opponent for June 9, his first fight since November 2015

It's Sefer Seferi.

He's a 39 year old cruiserweight with 24 fights. He's 23-1-0 with 21 KOs but he has only fought 4 fighters with more wins that losses.

Total bum.

And Fury has the nerve to try to call himself the lineal champion

famicommander

15 Year Member
Wilder wants the contest to take place in the United States, while Joshua is standing firm on having the event in the UK.

"We're talking,"said Hearn, the head of Matchroom Sports, which represents Joshua, "which I guess is positive. We're in a situation where Anthony Joshua, me, as well and his trainer/manager Rob McCracken feel like he and we have earned the right to do this fight in the UK. We feel that he's the A-side in the fight, he's got three of the four championship belts.

"He's the one producing the 90,000 (fans in attendance). We've got a great offer from Deontay Wilder's team, unfortunately for Deontay Wilder's team Anthony Joshua doesn't need the money and he's not driven by the money. But we want to do everything we can do to get the fight to happen in the UK."

But Hearn added - "Does that mean we wont go to America? Not necessarily, but it's not going to be driven by whether he can make $35(million), $45 (million) or $50 million in America. This is where (Joshua) been doing things, this is where he's been building. This is a big fight, this is a high risk fight and the feeling from the team is the fight should take place in the UK.

"So we've gone back to them, we're still talking, we've talked about their numbers from our side."
https://www.boxingscene.com/hearn-provides-update-on-joshua-vs-wilder-negotiations--128438
They scurred, basically.

Joshua WAS the A-side. You don't get to be the A-side anymore when the other guy's team is willing to guarantee you 50 million dollars to make the fight.

They literally said for 50 million dollars they'd make the fight the next day.

Then Wilder came up with the cash and now three weeks later, they're still talking their way out of it.

And Hearn is a classic bullshitter talking about the attendance. It's true that Joshua draws huge crowds, but in terms of revenue it's still a bigger fight in Vegas or NYC. They'd sell fewer tickets but at much, much higher prices.

This fight has to happen now. Joshua doesn't come out of this looking good at all if he doesn't fight Wilder.

Last edited: