Boxing thread

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Parker had the skills, he lacked the aggression and the ability to fight inside. He needed to get inside because of his massive range and height disadvantage, but every time the fighters got inside the ref pulled them apart.

But Wilder? The man is pure aggression, plus he has the range, speed, power, chin, and endurance to match. He just lacks technical proficiency. If anyone ever taught that man to box he'd be truly horrifying.

I felt Parker had a decent enough defensive game and was able to move around the ring well enough but like you say the reach difference was blatant. And I was a little disappointed to not see the explosive punching power I thought he might be packing though it's true the ref would get in when something seemed to be about to happen.
Joshua threw some dodgy punches, he wanted that KO at almost any cost though he was very reluctant to dig in. He knew he could get the belt if he fought clever and made it to the end. Still wasn't a clear cut victory, he got caught by a few shots that could have been decisive had the ref not stepped in
I like Wilder, just see him as quite untested and at his prime at a time when there is a lack of good boxing in his category. He's something of a circus freak to me. A bit like Frank Bruno was to the English, just wilder
If there where true heavyweights of a pre Klishko era today I think Deontray would either be a much better much more tested fighter, or something of a bullshit lie.
All this said I can tell you know a lot more about boxing than me, but these are the things I see from my point of view

Last edited:

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
I like Wilder, just see him as quite untested and at his prime at a time when there is a lack of good boxing in his category. He's something of a circus freak to me. A bit like Frank Bruno was to the English, just wilder
If there where true heavyweights of a pre Klishko era today I think Deontray would either be a much better much more tested fighter, or something of a bullshit lie.

Wilder has poor technique when he gets an opponent in trouble. He goes a bit nuts trying to get the stoppage. But he has good fundamentals with the jab in setting up the opponent.
Bruno was musclebound with questionable stamina. And no idea what to do when he got hurt. Would almost freeze like a statue, and the other guy would then just tee off on him.
DW, on the other hand (in the Ortiz fight) showed a presence of mind to grab/smother/spoil when hurt. Do what it takes to clear your head or buy some time to get to the bell.

I like Wilder based on the fact that he showed he can overcome serious adversity and be able to turn it around.
That's the one thing I never could appreciate about Mike Tyson. His level of opposition was miles ahead of what is on offer today. But he never, not even once, came back from a losing position in a fight. Great frontrunner as long as the other guy read the script and fell or was intimidated to the point where he was just looking to go the distance.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
That's the one thing I never could appreciate about Mike Tyson. His level of opposition was miles ahead of what is on offer today. But he never, not even once, came back from a losing position in a fight. Great frontrunner as long as the other guy read the script and fell or was intimidated to the point where he was just looking to go the distance.

Bruno hurt him though, it wasn't looking good for Tyson for a round in their first fight. He came back and destroyed him after that.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
Bruno hurt him though, it wasn't looking good for Tyson for a round in their first fight. He came back and destroyed him after that.

That was like for a second, as I recall. Not the type of adversity I'm taking about. He got caught early in the Tucker fight as well. I think it was an uppercut. Very briefly stunned him. Again, not what I'm referring to.

The closest he came from a sustained period of getting the hurt laid on him, was when he had Douglas down in the 8th. The bell rang, though. And that pretty much was the end of that comeback.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
What a disappointment Joshua - Parker was. It only reaffirmed my opinion that even though Joshua is undefeated, the pool of fantastic and charismatic heavyweights isn't great. I would have loved to see him go up against an all out agressor like old school Tyson for example. I don't like his cockiness because he never really dominates any match even though he proclaims himself the new god of heavyweights. I am waiting for the day a new contender comes along and whoops him senseless. Anyway, I am way more excited about GGG vs Canelo II and any match involving my all time favorite, Lomachenko - speed, technique and power combined into one fantastic fighter.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
Anyway, I am way more excited about GGG vs Canelo II and any match involving my all time favorite, Lomachenko - speed, technique and power combined into one fantastic fighter.

Is that fight still on? I thought Canelo was facing some type of suspension.

Yeah, Loma is special.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
It sure wasn't a disappointment for "investors": full 12 rounds, full with ads.

Absolutely true but as a big fight fan I found it to be boring. They probably both made millions and millions so good for them.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
We may actually be getting Wilder vs Joshua after all.

Wilder's manager has publicly announced they will allow Joshua a 60/40 money split and they're willing to travel to the UK, despite the judges and ref being clearly influenced by the crowd in the Joshua vs Parker fight (Joshua still won, but not by a 118-110 or worse margin).

Their condition is that if Wilder wins, the rematch is in Brooklyn or Vegas and Wilder gets the bigger cash split.

If Joshua doesn't accept these terms, he's a coward, straight up. Wilder is showing a lot of confidence in being willing to travel to the UK. He's definitely not going to win a decision over there; obviously only one of his 40 fights has ever gone to the cards anyway, but in taking this fight Wilder is acknowledging that he absolutely HAS to take out Joshua to win.

If they market it right, this fight could be even bigger than Canelo vs GGG II would have been (or will be after Canelo's suspension).

We'll finally have an undisputed heavyweight champion.

Every title from every organization would be on the line. No sanction fee dodging, no promoter bullshit holding titles hostage, no mandatory defenses being ignored causing any titles to be vacated.

The vacant lineal title, the vacant Ring title, Wilder's WBC title, and Joshua's WBA (Super)/IBF/WBO/IBO titles. Basically, whoever wins is gonna walk out of there looking like Ultimo Dragon. There is no lineal belt, but the other six titles have belts.

The last undisputed heavyweight champion was Lennox Lewis, who unified the lineal/WBC/WBA/IBF/IBO titles in 1999. Ring wasn't awarding a title at the time, and the WBO existed but wasn't considered a major title. The IBO wasn't either, and still isn't, but Lewis won it anyway.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I don't think the hype would be near GGG Canelo to be honest. Heavyweight is a forgotten weight division and as much as you may like Lewis (I don't) he's part of the reason as to why heavyweight boxing is not interesting anymore (he was like the Federer of boxing to me).
I think if it happened (Joshua will dodge it somehow) it would make for an uneven sloppy fight with Wilder fighting with his fists and Joshua
with his mind but it'll end up being confusing and choppy (dropping to 10 frames per second).
It's crazy that heavyweight boxing is no longer a north american monopoly. Such a shame. Culturally speaking. If Wilder is the best the US has to offer then we are somewhat fucked

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
We'll finally have an undisputed heavyweight champion.
Well, depends on how you view it. Personally I find the current heavyweight division (across multiple titles) to be monotonous and uninteresting when compared to middle weight division and below. The mid '90 s for example had more diversity but maybe I'm getting old. Ever since Klitscho started his reign I feel things went downhill.

It's crazy that heavyweight boxing is no longer a north american monopoly.
On a global scale things aren't a whole lot better. The division isn't very interesting as a whole - but that's just my opinion obviously.

famicommander

15 Year Member
GGG vs Canelo II is officially off.

Golovkin is keeping the May 5 date, looking for an opponent. Saunders won't be ready to fight by then so we'll see who he ends up fighting. Sucks. No superfight with Canelo, no undisputed title fight with Saunders.

Also, Eddie Hearn is now saying "he doesn't believe" Deontay Wilder's offer is legitimate and is talking about Joshua fighting Miller. If he fights Miller he'll have to fight his mandatory challenger next (Povetkin), so that would probably push a potential Wilder fight into early to mid 2019.

So basically, no fun allowed.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
GGG vs Canelo II is officially off.

Golovkin is keeping the May 5 date, looking for an opponent. Saunders won't be ready to fight by then so we'll see who he ends up fighting. Sucks. No superfight with Canelo, no undisputed title fight with Saunders.

Also, Eddie Hearn is now saying "he doesn't believe" Deontay Wilder's offer is legitimate and is talking about Joshua fighting Miller. If he fights Miller he'll have to fight his mandatory challenger next (Povetkin), so that would probably push a potential Wilder fight into early to mid 2019.

So basically, no fun allowed.

Interesting.
Povetkin could provide an interesting fight. Far from spectacular but does pack a vicious punch. Has that east european killer instinct but is beatable for sure.

I'd actually like to see Demetrius Andrade take on GGG. Hadn't heard of him up until now but watched some of his fights and really like his style.

Edit: Macquiao Matthysse confirmed for July 14, just one day before football world cup final. Going to be an awesome weekend.
Matthysse is my country man but I think he'll be biting off more than he can chew

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
If Pacquiao looks like he did against Jeff Horn, Matthysse will lay him out. Pacquiao at his best is orders of magnitude better than Matthysse but the guy who faced Jeff Horn isn't even close.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If Pacquiao looks like he did against Jeff Horn, Matthysse will lay him out. Pacquiao at his best is orders of magnitude better than Matthysse but the guy who faced Jeff Horn isn't even close.

There was a lot of headbutts in that fight. It is what it is. We'll see what happens.

Canelo pulled out of the fight, to me that shows he has something to hide. If he was as clean as he says he was, he wouldn't pull out.

famicommander

15 Year Member
He isn't denying the positive test, he's saying the test was a result of Mexican farmers using steroids to make their livestock leaner and bigger. Which has happened before.

But it's irrelevant as far as the Nevada State Athletic Commission is concerned. Whether the steroids got in your system by accident or on purpose, you're responsible for it. Contaminated beef has been a known thing for years and Canelo has hundreds of millions of dollars; there's no excuse for one of the richest dudes in Mexico to not know where his food comes from.

Personally, I'm inclined to believe he's straight up lying and he's a cheater. But his defense itself is an admission of guilt to the NSAC, so a suspension was always going to happen. Canelo chose to bow out now so that GGG has time to find another opponent and promote the May 5 fight; this way Golovkin will be more agreeable to making the fight again when Canelo's suspension is up.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
I think Canelo is just scared that GGG will destroy him this time around. Or maybe there are financial reasons that we don't know anything about.
Too bad that this got cancelled last minute - one of the most interesting upcoming fights.

sr20det510

Geese's Limo Driver
I think Canelo is just scared that GGG will destroy him this time around. Or maybe there are financial reasons that we don't know anything about.
Too bad that this got cancelled last minute - one of the most interesting upcoming fights.

I don't think he'd get destroyed, but I don't think he'd get the win either.
He has a loss already, so don't think he is afraid of a loss. I feel he knew his opponent would be really tough, and thought he could get away with getting an upper hand by eating tainted meat. He probably didn't even eat the meat, and took the steroid, and used the meat as an excuse.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Eddie Hearn has changed his tune a bit on Wilder-Joshua. He's now saying both fighters should fight one more time against other opponents in the summer and then have the megafight before the end of 2018. I guess we'll see.

As for Golovkin, it looks like he's going to fight Jamie Munguia on May 5. Munguia is an up and coming contender and he's undefeated, but he hasn't beaten anybody yet and he has not fought above junior middleweight yet. So it seems like this will be a tune up fight for Golovkin.

But the good news is, Golovkin's people are in talks with Billy Joe Saunders' people for a fall fight.

Canelo is going to be suspended and when he does it will force Ring to vacate their middleweight title. And he'll drop out of the rankings for the lineal championship.

So as long as Golovkin and Saunders don't lose their May/June fights against other people, we'll have literally all the middleweight titles on the line.

Golovkin has the IBF, WBA (Super), WBC, and IBO
Saunders has the WBO
the lineal and Ring will be vacant

Winner take all, undisputed. So if Canelo wants another shot he'll have to wait until next year.

Amazing that until Terence Crawford last year, we didn't have an undisputed champion in any division since Jermain Taylor in 2006.

But this year we could end up with THREE undisputed title fights in one calendar year

The undisputed cruiserweight title fight is already set for May 11.

Oleksandr Usyk has the WBC and WBO
Murrat Gassiev has the IBF and WBA (Super)
The Ring and lineal titles are vacant

winner take all.

If these Wilder vs Joshua and GGG vs Saunders fights actually come through it will be amazing for the sport.

famicommander

15 Year Member
The WBA has declared Povetkin to be Anthony Joshua's mandatory challenger for the WBA Heavyweight (Super) Championship.

Joshua's options:
1. Agree to terms on a fight with Povetkin within 30 days and fight him within 150 days
2. Pay Povetkin to step aside to allow the Wilder unification fight
3. Vacate the WBA title but keep the WBO/IBF/IBO. Extremely unlikely.

Wilder is the only person he could fight instead of Povetkin and still hold onto the WBA belt. But if Povetkin wants the fight, he is entitled to it.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I feel bad for GGG. They are pressuring him to fight a ranked mandatory on May 5th to keep the date so they are declining any opponent he chooses other than mandatories. That's straight up BS. He's been training to fight Canelo and only Canelo for 5 months and now in less than a month they want to throw him in the ring to fight a mandatory. He would need to retrain for that fighter in less than a month. This is a setup for him to lose. I'm pissed, they're doing him dirty. GGG just wants a normal fight for May 5th to keep the rust off but they want someone that's gonna pull PPV numbers so they don't lose too much money.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Great junior middleweight unification fight on Showtime last night.

Jarrett Hurd beat Erislandy Lara by split decision to retain his IBF title and win Lara's WBA (Super) and IBO titles. Hurd scored a knockdown in round 12, and that proved to be the difference as he won 114-113 on two scorecards.