Boxing thread

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Tyson Fury just signed a co-promotional deal with Top Rank (Bob Arum) and ESPN.

This had better not fuck up the Wilder rematch, because Wilder is still locked up with PBC (Al Haymon) and Showtime long term.

A rematch isn't going to be all that exiting in my opinion. You will probably get a definitive winner and in my opinion it'll be a coinflip to determine who it will be before the actual fight takes place. I know it's important in terms of a potential future fight between Wilder and Joshua but meh. I enjoyed Fury Wilder but not really aching to see them in the ring again

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Golovkin is about to sign with DAZN, and will take a fight soon for 15 million dollars on the platform. If he wins that, he's in line for the winner of Canelo vs Jacobs. The other belt holder in the division, Andrade, is also with DAZN so hopefully that's who GGG fights while he waits for the big fight.

famicommander

15 Year Member
The WBC announced today that Wilder vs Fury II is not next. They said Wilder wants the rematch but Fury is taking another fight instead. The WBC is hopeful that the fight could still happen later this year but it won't be next.

I was afraid this bullshit would happen when Fury signed with Arum.

Who the fuck else is out there to fight right now for Fury?

Joshua is fighting Miller
he passed on the Wilder rematch
Ortiz is fighting Christian Hammer
Pulev is fighting Bogdan Dinu

That just leaves Povetkin, Whyte, and Breazeale as far as contenders go. There are rumors of Whyte vs Breazeale, but if that doesn't happen Wilder will likely have to take his mandatory against Breazeale.

So unless Fury wants to go back to fighting total bums, I would guess he's fighting Whyte, Povetkin, or maybe someone like Kownacki or Parker.

Shitty news in any case.

sr20det510

Geese's Limo Driver
Errol Spence Jr. Vs. Mikey Garcia, who will win the fight?
Mikey is shorter, lighter, and has a shorter reach, but has a speed advantage.
I'd love to see him take out Spence.

famicommander

15 Year Member
As far as technical ability Mikey Garcia is on another level from Spence, and Garcia is definitely the best fighter Spence has ever been in the ring with. Mikey is smarter, faster, more experienced, more battle tested. Those are his advantages.

Spence is bigger, stronger, has better reach, has the power advantage.

The question comes down to punching power in my opinion. Weight classes exist for a reason. Can Mikey hit hard enough two weight classes up from his last fight to hurt Spence? Can Mikey take Spence's shots and still stand in the pocket?

If Mikey pulls this off, it cements him as one of the all time greats. It would be a fifth weight class with a world title. Puts him on a list with Hearns, Leonard, De La Hoya, Mayweather, and Pacquiao.

I'm rooting for Mikey. I may regret it, but I have to pick him.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
Errol Spence is big at 147. Like a middleweight training down to the weight. Too big of an advantage taking into account that Spence is also a helluva fighter.

I think Spence will walk him down. And if Mikey doesn't carry that power at that weight to hold him off and keep him honest, I think he gets stopped.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Yeah I'm inclined to think Spence has too many advantages to lose. Garcia has to fight clever and stay as nimble as possible to provoke his adversary's frustration. But I just don't see it, he doesn't seem to be that type of fighter and Spence is way too savvy to fall into any traps.
Who knows though. I like them both, so won't be rooting for one or the other. Should be an amazing fight

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Going to change my forecast on the Spence Garcia fight. I think it'll be a Garcia win or a draw. If Spence comes off the winner it won't be clear cut.
I just think Garcia is the technically proficient and determined fighter Spence has never faced before. He's all in.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Pulling for Mikey tonight.

Tevin Farmer had a great performance again last night. Get this man his Tank Davis unification fight.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Round 8 and Spence is too slick, has the southpaw advantage, is physically comfortable and has the reach advantage. Garcia is too heavy footed and reliant on power shots that he can't land cleanly.
Not a great fight for/by Garcia

sr20det510

Geese's Limo Driver
Mikey was outclassed, I didnt expect it to play out like this.

Who is next for Spence? Crawford, Thurman, or Charlo?

famicommander

15 Year Member
The Charlos fight at super welter and middleweight respectively.

Pacquiao would be my guess as to who Spence wants next.

What we need is
Crawford vs Spence
Thurman vs Pacquiao
Porter vs Ugas rematch

Then unifications with the winners.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
Credit to Mikey for taking all those shots and still be game. There were spots where he landed his own but for the most part he was shut out.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I gave Mikey one round (the second). He couldn't get inside and with the range disadvantage there was no chance he was winning on the outside.

Mikey should go back down to lightweight and fight Lomachenko.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I gave Mikey one round (the second). He couldn't get inside and with the range disadvantage there was no chance he was winning on the outside.

Mikey should go back down to lightweight and fight Lomachenko.

Lomachenko likely would chew him up though, but it's not about the wins as much as the fights themselves.
He behaved like a true gentleman upon defeat.
He wasn't going down, Mexicans are tempered steel.

Edit: Luis Nery was far and away the best thing about the event tonight. Those punches

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
Lomachenko likely would chew him up though, but it's not about the wins as much as the fights themselves.
He behaved like a true gentleman upon defeat.
He wasn't going down, Mexicans are tempered steel.

Edit: Luis Nery was far and away the best thing about the event tonight. Those punches

He's too big for Lomachenko.

Lomachenko could barely handle Linares and Mikey is bigger, stronger, faster, better than Linares.

Lomachenko at lightweight is at a similar size disadvantage as Mikey was at welterweight tonight.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
He's too big for Lomachenko.

Lomachenko could barely handle Linares and Mikey is bigger, stronger, faster, better than Linares.

Lomachenko at lightweight is at a similar size disadvantage as Mikey was at welterweight tonight.

I thought that Lomo outclassed Linares at every turn (except for that one big mistake where he walked right into a hammer punch and took a fall). And Linares is one hell of a fighter. I think Lomo is the best lightweight boxer in the world. Even if fighters drop a class just to fight Lomo, I doubt he would care.

Slightly OT; what do you guys use to watch lice boxing? My iptv provider went kaputt

famicommander

15 Year Member
I thought that Lomo outclassed Linares at every turn (except for that one big mistake where he walked right into a hammer punch and took a fall). And Linares is one hell of a fighter. I think Lomo is the best lightweight boxer in the world. Even if fighters drop a class just to fight Lomo, I doubt he would care.

Slightly OT; what do you guys use to watch lice boxing? My iptv provider went kaputt

I had Linares ahead before the KO.

famicommander

15 Year Member
ESPN ranked the top 100 most famous athletes in the world. The criteria were Google searches, social media follows, and endorsement dollars worldwide in the last year.

The boxers on the list, in order:
34. Deontay Wilder, heavyweight, USA
39. Tyson Fury, heavyweight, UK
58. Canelo Alvarez, middleweight, Mexico
63. Anthony Joshua, heavyweight, UK
78. Gennady Golovkin, middleweight, Kazakhstan
83. Manny Pacquiao, welterweight, Philippines

Floyd doesn't count because he is still technically retired.

Interesting that Wilder and Fury were the biggest as far as these criteria but they don't draw the PPV or TV numbers that Pacquiao, Joshua, or Canelo do.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
Gotta cringe whenever Wilder opens his mouth during press conferences. The dude tries too hard.

BombZquad!

godzilla43

Geese's Thug
ESPN ranked the top 100 most famous athletes in the world. The criteria were Google searches, social media follows, and endorsement dollars worldwide in the last year.

The boxers on the list, in order:
34. Deontay Wilder, heavyweight, USA
39. Tyson Fury, heavyweight, UK
58. Canelo Alvarez, middleweight, Mexico
63. Anthony Joshua, heavyweight, UK
78. Gennady Golovkin, middleweight, Kazakhstan
83. Manny Pacquiao, welterweight, Philippines

Floyd doesn't count because he is still technically retired.

Interesting that Wilder and Fury were the biggest as far as these criteria but they don't draw the PPV or TV numbers that Pacquiao, Joshua, or Canelo do.

Yeah, surprising that Wilder and Fury are more famous than Joshua. Also kinda surprising that Conor is number 5 and Khabib is 15. It is not surprising thou that MMA fighters are always bitching about money and Dana White thou..