Boxing thread

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Groves v eubank jr was one of the worse fights i've seen in a while, very disappointed, way too cagey and the cut eubank jr had from the clash of heads early doors spoiled the fight.
I've watched enough big fights over the years, and i genuinely knew after 3 rounds what was coming, a boring long range cagey jab fest.
They opened up and traded shots maybe 3-4 times in the whole fight.
After all the trash talk between the 2 in the build up i thought they'd have had a go, like i said very disappointed and not worth PPV.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
Groves v eubank jr was one of the worse fights i've seen in a while, very disappointed, way too cagey and the cut eubank jr had from the clash of heads early doors spoiled the fight.
I've watched enough big fights over the years, and i genuinely knew after 3 rounds what was coming, a boring long range cagey jab fest.
They opened up and traded shots maybe 3-4 times in the whole fight.
After all the trash talk between the 2 in the build up i thought they'd have had a go, like i said very disappointed and not worth PPV.

Just finished watching it.
What a scrappy, messy fight. When they did open up, which was infrequent, those times it was like watching two drunks swinging for the fences. If this is what passes as a top fight nowadays.....

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Just finished watching it.
What a scrappy, messy fight. When they did open up, which was infrequent, those times it was like watching two drunks swinging for the fences. If this is what passes as a top fight nowadays.....
Yep i couldn't agree more thierry, groves may have won the fight but his standing has gone down considerably in my opinion.
What a difference to the guy who tore it up in 2 crackers with froch a few years back.
The cobra would have sparked either of them last night, they were an embarrassment, not impressed with either of them.

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Which championships do you guys consider the most prestigious?

The big four: WBC, WBA, IBF, WBO
The next two: The Ring, IBO

And then there's the current lineal championship, which is awarded by the TBRB but doesn't award a physical belt.

For me the lineal is the most important one, but most lineal titles are vacant at the moment.

Next up I would have the WBC and IBF.

To me the WBA awards too many titles in each division and the WBO is a mess too. I would almost put the IBO title on par with them at this point, even though it's not considered a major world title.

And last is The Ring title, which lost most of its credibility when Golden Boy bought them, later fired their editors, and then changed the way the championship can be awarded. That's why the TBRB started in the first place; to pick up the lineal title where the Ring left off before they went nuts.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
Which championships do you guys consider the most prestigious?

The big four: WBC, WBA, IBF, WBO
The next two: The Ring, IBO

Is the IBO even a thing?
They just can't stop polluting boxing with all this alphabet soup nonsense.
I guess where easy sanctioning money is involved, invent a belt and award it to somebody or better yet leach yourself onto an existing and recognized title-holder.

I wouldn't even know how to rate that lot.
Probably though maybe go for the WBC. After that, take your pick. I don't know.

famicommander

15 Year Member
The IBO uses computerized rankings for their contenders. Some of their current champs are Golovkin and Joshua.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
The IBO uses computerized rankings for their contenders. Some of their current champs are Golovkin and Joshua.

Speaking of rankings,
The WBO's ranking system once had a fighter move up the rankings twice even though the guy was dead.
That's not an isolated incident either with these joke organizations.

Half a dozen whatever "world" champions in the same division, but only one world.

famicommander

15 Year Member
That's what makes it all the more impressive when someone becomes undisputed champ.

Technically most consider you undisputed just for getting the WBC, IBF, WBA (Super), and WBO belts. Last year Crawford unified those four plus the Ring and lineal belts, then vacated them all to move up a weight class.

If Golovkin beats Canelo he will have the WBC, IBF, WBA (Super), IBO, Ring, and Lineal titles. Then he just needs the WBO from Billy Joe Saunders and he will have every major and minor middleweight world title out there. Seven different organizations with different rules and criteria for crowning champs all agreeing on one champ would be amazing.

If Canelo wins it won't be the same because he will not pay the sanction fees to be IBO or WBA Champ. Just WBC and IBF (there are no fees to be lineal or Ring champ).

Last edited:

acblunden2

Rugal's Thug
I have always felt the IBF is the most prestigious, followed by the WBA. It also flip flops depending on the weight division. WBC is corrupt has hell. Then the WBO belt is typically carried by the lesser belt holder in any division. I don't know why that is so. But the belt that carries the most prestige is the one coupled with the lineal title if that is at all possible. Personally, I feel if a boxer is not a PPV star or has a contract with Sky, HBO, or Showtime, if they have the lineal title, best to just keep one sanctioning body's belt. Those sanctioning fees Golovkin must pay must be pretty hefty. Up until the Canelo fight, he must have really felt the sting of those fees to his wallet.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I have always felt the IBF is the most prestigious, followed by the WBA. It also flip flops depending on the weight division. WBC is corrupt has hell. Then the WBO belt is typically carried by the lesser belt holder in any division. I don't know why that is so. But the belt that carries the most prestige is the one coupled with the lineal title if that is at all possible. Personally, I feel if a boxer is not a PPV star or has a contract with Sky, HBO, or Showtime, if they have the lineal title, best to just keep one sanctioning body's belt. Those sanctioning fees Golovkin must pay must be pretty hefty. Up until the Canelo fight, he must have really felt the sting of those fees to his wallet.

The WBA is bullshit with their "super", "regular" and many variants of "silver" and "interim" champs.

acblunden2

Rugal's Thug
Sure is bullshit. Those fighters get nickel and dimed for all their money. Too bad boxing has a bunch of sanctioning bodies. Sure is a tough sport to make money in.

famicommander

15 Year Member
It's even worse with Golden Boy outright buying The Ring and the WBO more or less being Bob Arum's personal sanctioning body. The promoters always owned everything, but at least there used to be a little pretense and mystery about it.

famicommander

15 Year Member
There's one fight on ESPN tonight:
Joseph Diaz Jr. vs. Victor Terrazas, 10 rounds at featherweight

Diaz is 25-0-0, Terrazas is 38-4-2. A couple of national titles are on the line but no world titles. Starts at 9:30 Mountain Time, so it's a late one. No idea if they're airing an undercard.

Tomorrow is the big one, though. HBO card:
-Srisaket Sor Rungvisai vs. Juan Francisco Estrada, 12 rounds, for Sor Rungvisai's WBC junior bantamweight title and vacant Ring junior bantamweight title
-Carlos Cuadras vs. McWilliams Arroyo, 10 rounds, junior bantamweights
-Donnie Nietes vs. Juan Carlos Reveco, 12 rounds, for Nietes' IBF flyweight title
-Brian Viloria vs. Artem Dalakian, 12 rounds, for vacant WBA flyweight title

Three major world titles and a Ring Magazine title on the line for a TV card is good stuff.

famicommander

15 Year Member
They've finally settled all the details on Golovkin vs Canelo II.

May 5, PPV, Las Vegas, 5 PM Eastern.

Here's the complicated title picture surrounding the fight
Golovkin has: WBC, WBA (Super), IBF, and IBO Middleweight Championships
Canelo has: Ring Middleweight Championship
The lineal championship is also on the line, but is currently vacant.

If Golovkin wins, it's very simple. He is the WBC, WBA (Super), IBF, Ring, IBO, and lineal middleweight champion of the world.
If Canelo wins, he is the WBA (Super), IBF, Ring, and lineal middleweight champion of the world. The WBC and IBO championships would be vacated because he would not pay the sanctioning fees.

In the event of another draw, nothing changes. Canelo keeps his one belt, Golovkin keeps his four, and the lineal remains vacant.

So I'm hoping Golovkin wins, and then tracks down Billy Joe Saunders and takes his WBO Middleweight Championship. Canelo doesn't want the WBO title either.

So Golovkin is the one who can unify the division. In the hypothetical event that Golovkin beats Canelo and then Saunders somehow beats Golovkin (he won't), Saunders WOULD pay the sanctioning fees to keep all the belts. So as long as Golovkin beats Canelo we should see an undisputed middleweight champion down the line.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Diaz knocked out Terrazas with a body punch last night in the third round. That kid is ready to fight for a world title. 26-0-0.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Is boxing a sport still? I thought everyone moved over to UFC like 15 years ago.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Is boxing a sport still? I thought everyone moved over to UFC like 15 years ago.

Yes, Boxing is still going strong.

Looking Forward to the Canelo and Triple G match. Hopefully Triple G wins this time. He should have won the First match.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Good fights last night. Sor Rungvisai is a beast and Nietes is a great defensive fighter.

March is a hell of a month.

March 3, Showtime
Deontay Wilder vs. Luis Ortiz, 12 rounds, for Wilder's WBC heavyweight title
Andre Dirrell vs. Jose Uzcategui, rematch, 12 rounds, for Dirrell's IBF interim super middleweight title

March 3, HBO
Sergey Kovalev vs. Igor Mikhalkin, 12 rounds, for Kovalev's WBO light heavyweight title
Dmitry Bivol vs. Sullivan Barrera, 12 rounds, for Bivol's WBA light heavyweight title

March 3, UK TV only
Kell Brook vs. Sergey Rabchenko, 12 rounds, junior middleweights

March 9, Showtime
Regis Prograis vs. Julius Indongo, 12 rounds, for vacant WBC interim junior welterweight title
Ivan Baranchyk vs. Anthony Yigit, 12 rounds, IBF junior welterweight eliminator

March 9, ESPN2
Alexis Rocha vs. Miguel Dumas, 8 rounds, welterweights

March 10, Showtime
Sergey Lipinets vs. Mikey Garcia, 12 rounds, for Lipinets' IBF junior welterweight title
Rances Barthelemy vs. Kiryl Relikh, 12 rounds, for vacant WBA junior welterweight title

March 10, ESPN
Oscar Valdez vs. Scott Quigg, 12 rounds, for Valdez's WBO featherweight title
Andy Vences vs. Erick DeLeon, 10 rounds, junior lightweights

March 17, ESPN
Jose Ramirez vs. Amir Imam, 12 rounds, for vacant WBC junior welterweight title
Oleksandr Gvozdyk vs. Mehdi Amar, 12 rounds, for vacant WBC interim light heavyweight title

March 22, ESPN
KeAndre Gibson vs. Eddie Gomez, 12 rounds, welterweights

March 24, ESPN
Jose Martinez vs. Alejandro Santiago, rematch, 10 rounds, junior bantamweights

March 31, Showtime
Anthony Joshua vs. Joseph Parker, 12 rounds, IBF/WBA/WBO/IBO heavyweight title unification
Alexander Povetkin vs. David Price, 12 rounds, heavyweights

Hopefully the winners of the 2 heavyweight title fights will face each other. If they do, it would be for the undisputed championship as they'd have the four big belts between them (WBC/WBA/IBF/WBO) as well as the IBO, plus the fight would be for the vacant Ring and lineal titles

sr20det510

Geese's Limo Driver
Last night's fights were great!!
$40 bucks to watch it live made it one of the best deals in all of sports.

Arroyo - Cuadras fight was great tons of exchanges. Some of the punches were explosive, and if it was 12 round fight we might of seen a KO.

Sor - Estrada was even better. The Mexican fans wanted the Estrada win, but we we're denied. SOR is the MAN!

Can't wait for a rematch.

Last edited:

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
The ones who don't like to watch dudes hump each other still watch boxing.

:lolz: I like UFC, but I like boxing better.

This weekend is going to be huge. Gonna be flipping back and forth between HBO and SHO if they are both on at the same time. This year is off to a very good start with the fights so far and all of the fights to come so early in the year.

Just to chime in on a couple of things. I don't know if it is prestigious or not, but I have always like the green belt ever since JCC had it.

I like that story about Sanders. If I recall, didn't Wladamir also suffer another notable upset around that time? Didn't follow the career of the Klitchko's too closely, but I was impressed by the effort Wladamir put up against Joshua. I'm paying more attention to heavyweights now with Wilder and Joshua.

famicommander

15 Year Member
British boxer Scott Westgarth died after his fight against Doc Spelman in the UK Saturday night. Westgarth actually won the fight and was alert and coherent in post fight interviews, but he deteriorated in the locker room and was rushed to the hospital where he died hours later. He was knocked down once in the fight.

Sad to see. Have to feel really bad for his family, and of course his opponent.