Boxing thread

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
I hate Joshua and I hate more that people call him the next Tyson, like WTF?!
He's no tyson xian, not even in the same league, when he was in his prime of course

Povetkin isn't the fighter of years past. His best is behind him, IMO.
Having said that though, he most definitely has a punchers chance. If he lands that hook flush, interesting things might happen.
Povetkin has definately got a chance, he's a banger and if he catch's joshua with a big shot he'll be in trouble.
We are talking heavyweights here though so they all hit pretty hard, barring tyson fury who's not got a power punch for me, decent jab though.

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
There were stories from guys who have sparred and/or fought all four going around the boxing sites a couple weeks back ranking the current heavyweight power punchers and it was consensus
Deontay Wilder (by a lot) > Luis Ortiz > Anthony Joshua > Alexander Povetkin

Either one of these two guys can knock each other out at any point in the fight. I just don't think this version of Povetkin will be able to land cleanly too often on Joshua, and I think his chin is fading. He went life and death with Price, who is even more shot than he is.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Wilder vs Fury is signed, official for 12/1. Three city press tour.

Sounds like it's actually going to be in LA at Staples Center. They must have written one big ass check to outbid Vegas.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Povetkin had Joshua rocked but he punched himself out early and got TKO'd by a vicious flurry in the 7th.

Povetkin gave Joshua a much better fight than I thought he would. Joshua looked vulnerable again.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
That was a quick end to a fight I could have seen going to Povetkin. Still no fan of Joshua but the speed at which he stopped Povetkin was admirable.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Glad that fight didn't go to the cards, because the judges all had Joshua up in the fight before the 7th.

famicommander

15 Year Member
"Think it’s now safe to say AJ & his team are a pack of shithouses" - Tyson Fury

That fat carny gypsy fuck is loving this right now

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
Did anyone else catch the fact that after the first knockdown of Povetkin near the bottom ropes, Povetkins trainer actually grabbed his fighters hand/glove and pulled him forward, which caused his already dazed fighter to briefly stumble forward through the ropes. Bizarre.

Joshua weathered some big shots early on. It looked like his nose may have been busted and he had a type of glazed look in his eyes. But great closing of the show by him. Those finishing blows were huge and pinpoint.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Did anyone else catch the fact that after the first knockdown of Povetkin near the bottom ropes, Povetkins trainer actually grabbed his fighters hand/glove and pulled him forward, which caused his already dazed fighter to briefly stumble forward through the ropes. Bizarre.

Joshua weathered some big shots early on. It looked like his nose may have been busted and he had a type of glazed look in his eyes. But great closing of the show by him. Those finishing blows were huge and pinpoint.
It looked like the trainer wanted to keep him down. He was already trying to stop the fight before the ref did after Povetkin got up.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Eddie Hearn is saying that in order for Joshua vs Wilder to take place, Wilder has to sign the contract (the same one as last time) BEFORE he fights Tyson Fury.

Basically, he's saying that if Wilder increases his value by beating Fury, he'll price himself out of the fight.

Hearn and Joshua are fucking massive cowards. No way around it, no way to defend it. Pussies.

famicommander

15 Year Member
After saying he wouldn't, Canelo has split up the middleweight title even more. He has refused to pay the sanction fee for the IBO belt he "won" from Golovkin, meaning the belt is now vacant. Asshat.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
After saying he wouldn't, Canelo has split up the middleweight title even more. He has refused to pay the sanction fee for the IBO belt he "won" from Golovkin, meaning the belt is now vacant. Asshat.

You, me and many others feel Canelo lost but he put the work in, the toughest fight 3G ever fought and him obtaining the belt is respectable. I think questioning this (putting the quotation marks around the word won) is a bit unfair.

famicommander

15 Year Member
You, me and many others feel Canelo lost but he put the work in, the toughest fight 3G ever fought and him obtaining the belt is respectable. I think questioning this (putting the quotation marks around the word won) is a bit unfair.

Jacobs gave him a better fight than Canelo both times (and still lost).

It's not respectable at all. He clearly lost the fight. It was a great fight and Canelo had a great showing but he didn't win. This is boxing, there are no fucking participation awards. You don't deserve a belt just because you tried really hard.

But taking those belts he really didn't win, the least he could do is actually keep them unified.

We were just a few fights away from having ONE middleweight champion. Because if Golovkin won, he was going to hunt down the WBO belt Saunders has and the IBF belt that Derevyanchenko and Jacobs are about to fight for, and he'd keep them all together. Both Jacobs and Saunders have also said they would not split the titles up if they happened to win them all.

But now Canelo has already vacated the IBO belt and he'll likely vacate the WBC or WBA the first time one of them orders him to fight someone that he doesn't feel like fighting. So we're going to end up with probably 4-6 different motherfuckers walking around calling themselves World Middleweight Champion for years to come.

He's a fantastic fighter but he's a shitbag of a person. De La Hoya is a bigger shitbag, but Canelo doesn't respect boxing. He's a proven PED cheater, his promoter is crooked as fuck, all the scorecards in his fights come back dirty.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Jacobs gave him a better fight than Canelo both times (and still lost).

It's not respectable at all. He clearly lost the fight. It was a great fight and Canelo had a great showing but he didn't win. This is boxing, there are no fucking participation awards. You don't deserve a belt just because you tried really hard.

But taking those belts he really didn't win, the least he could do is actually keep them unified.

We were just a few fights away from having ONE middleweight champion. Because if Golovkin won, he was going to hunt down the WBO belt Saunders has and the IBF belt that Derevyanchenko and Jacobs are about to fight for, and he'd keep them all together. Both Jacobs and Saunders have also said they would not split the titles up if they happened to win them all.

But now Canelo has already vacated the IBO belt and he'll likely vacate the WBC or WBA the first time one of them orders him to fight someone that he doesn't feel like fighting. So we're going to end up with probably 4-6 different motherfuckers walking around calling themselves World Middleweight Champion for years to come.

He's a fantastic fighter but he's a shitbag of a person. De La Hoya is a bigger shitbag, but Canelo doesn't respect boxing. He's a proven PED cheater, his promoter is crooked as fuck, all the scorecards in his fights come back dirty.

I don't agree. Not only was this a better fight than the Jacobs fights, but it IS debatable who won and Canelo isn't undeserving of what the judges deemed. I know boxing is a shady business but I've seen bigger controversies than this one.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I don't agree. Not only was this a better fight than the Jacobs fights, but it IS debatable who won and Canelo isn't undeserving of what the judges deemed. I know boxing is a shady business but I've seen bigger controversies than this one.

Edit
I don't like De La Hoya btw. And Canelo is kind of stuck up but in a way a lot of fighters are.

I see what you mean about vacating the belts.
I feel bad for Golovkin. This fight messed up his career somewhat. Golovkin is to me the most interesting fighter I've seen in years. A Kazakh with the Mexican style.
And with a brilliant personality.
But that's how shit happens.
Had the fight been fought months back maybe things would have been different

Edit. Looks like I didn't edit fuck all.
Only been here 16 years or so

famicommander

15 Year Member
I don't see seven rounds for Canelo. No way, no how. I don't even see six. But definitely not fucking seven.

Sorry, but it's not a respectable result at all. It's a blatant robbery, just like the first fight and just like the Erislandy Lara fight.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I don't see seven rounds for Canelo. No way, no how. I don't even see six. But definitely not fucking seven.

Sorry, but it's not a respectable result at all. It's a blatant robbery, just like the first fight and just like the Erislandy Lara fight.

Has there ever been any thoughts on changing the system by which boxing is judged? To make it more transparent? Too much of this ruins the sport. It becomes bs politics, especially when you add all the rest of the bs, it's in large part one giant shit show

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
I watched the fight again. Same opinion as before. Canelo did not win that fight.
Not as big a robbery as their first fight. This time it was more subtle. But they still took it away from GGG.
The sad thing is if down the line a third fight ever happens and Canelo legitimately beats a 37-38 year old Golovkin, in years to come very few will remember the dodgy scoring of the first couple fights.

famicommander

15 Year Member
We have a women's fight to actually be excited about coming up

WBC and WBO World Middleweight Champion Christina Hammer vs WBA and IBF World Middleweight Champion Claressa Shields

Hammer's resume:
23-0-0-0, 10 KOs
Has been WBO middleweight champion since 2010, unified it with the WBC in 2016
While still middleweight champion, she moved up and won the WBO super middleweight title, then later moved down and won the WBO super welterweight title
5X world amateur champion

Also she looks like this:
christina-hammer-3.jpg

Shields' resume:
6-0-0-0, 2 KOs
originally a super middleweight, became WBA and IBF super middleweight champion in her 4th pro fight, less than a year after turning pro
moved down in weight this June to win the WBA and IBF middleweight titles
2X Olympic gold medalist (2012, 2016)

So this fight is for the undisputed middleweight championship. The Ring doesn't award women's titles and nobody has bothered to keep track of a lineal women's title, so it's just the big four and the IBO. Unfortunately the IBO already has a champion, but it's not considered a major title. So it won't be a five belt undisputed champion like Cecilia Breakhus currently is in the welterweight division, but it still qualifies as undisputed.

And the winner will be just the fourth person since Taylor beat Hopkins to be undisputed. Terence Crawford at super lightweight in 2017 (moved up to welterweight), Braekhus, and current undisputed cruiserweight champion Oleksandr Usyk are the others.

I think Hammer probably has the advantage here. She's obviously the more experienced pro, but two gold medals for Shields is nothing to scoff at. Shields is the bigger, stronger woman but she took a knockdown in her last fight against a lesser opponent than Hammer, so I don't know how her chin is going to hold up. Shields may also have the raw speed advantage. Hammer is smarter, she has a battle tested chin, and she is a master technician. If she doesn't get completely overpowered she should be able to outbox Shields.

famicommander

15 Year Member
HBO announced that it will no longer be showing boxing after 35 years of fights on the network.

So there goes my HBO subscription I guess.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Basically, they got pushed out.

Showtime is doubling down on boxing
Fox is doubling down on boxing for broadcast and FS1
ESPN+ has tons of fights
DAZN is another boxing streaming service that just launched
There are still going to be fights on regular ESPN

HBO really only had GGG and Canelo signed, but their recent fight ended both their deals.