Boxing thread

godzilla43

Geese's Thug
Great feet and a lovely jab, he was a man on a mission tonight.
Nice to see him call out tony bellew as well in the after fight interview.

Yeah that would be a good match. Bellew was surprisingly good in Haye 2 match and I feel he has more power in punches than Usyk. Then again power is not everything if you cannot find the opponent and Usyk moves really nice for a guy so big.

I don't believe the fight with Bellew and Fury will happen but there would be loads more money for Bellew if that happens.

Also wish all the best for Murat Gassiev. Seems to be down to earth dude and applauding Usyk after the fight.

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Munguia is big, strong, and tough as nails. He really, really needs to work on his defense though. At 21 years old he has plenty of time, but he's a long way from his stated goal of getting in there with GGG or Canelo.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Munguia is big, strong, and tough as nails. He really, really needs to work on his defense though. At 21 years old he has plenty of time, but he's a long way from his stated goal of getting in there with GGG or Canelo.

He's a baby and has already achieved so much, kind of crazy. I think he needs to work a !of more on shutting down his opponent, not giving in to his own emotions. I think he lost the mind fight last night though he dominated through the fight. A mentally strong opponent with the necessary skills set can put Munguia down.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S

He's got potential but if he's taken all the way by liam smith he needs a lot of work, liam's a good fighter but euro level at best, his brother callum is probably the better of the two but he fights at super middle.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Smith won a world title and defended it successfully twice before getting KO'd in round 9 by Canelo. That's better than Euro level.

cat

I disagree, it was the WBO belt and he defended it twice against 2 guy's who ain't exactly gonna set the boxing world on fire, jimmy kelly and Predrag Radosevic, fella's a tough competitor but he's not top table.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Billy Joe Saunders and Demetrius Andrade have agreed to terms on a fight for Saunders' WBO middleweight title.

This is good because it means as long as they both win this fall, GGG vs Saunders is probably still a go in May. There was concern Saunders would duck out of the division and chase a bigger money fight than Andrade at a higher weight class.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Billy Joe Saunders and Demetrius Andrade have agreed to terms on a fight for Saunders' WBO middleweight title.

This is good because it means as long as they both win this fall, GGG vs Saunders is probably still a go in May. There was concern Saunders would duck out of the division and chase a bigger money fight than Andrade at a higher weight class.

Damn that is a good matchup

famicommander

15 Year Member
Saunders should win but with both fighters being so inactive it's hard to say. Smells like a 12 round decision either way.

I'm just glad the potential unification at middleweight is still in play.

Golovkin vs Canelo for WBA (Super)/WBC/IBO/Ring
Jacobs vs Derevyanchenko for the IBF
Saunders vs Andrade for the WBO

then, assuming GGG/BJS/Jacobs win
Golovkin vs Saunders for the WBA (Super)/WBC/WBO/IBO/Ring/Lineal
Jacobs vs Charlo for the IBF/WBC interim

and finally
Golovkin vs Jacobs for the undisputed middleweight title.

It would be just like what Usyk just did except Usyk didn't get the chance to get the other minor belt, the IBO.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Massive day of boxing tomorrow

Showtime card (10:00 PM Eastern):
Mikey Garcia vs. Robert Easter Jr., 12 rounds, WBC/IBF lightweight unification
Luis Ortiz vs. Razvan Cojanu, 10 rounds, heavyweights
Mario Barrios vs. Jose Roman, 10 rounds, junior welterweights

Showtime undercard fights start at 8:00 PM Eastern, free on Youtube. Marcos Maidana's little brother Fabian is fighting.

ESPN+ card:
Christopher Diaz vs. Masayuki Ito, 12 rounds, for vacant WBO junior lightweight title
Gabriel Bracero vs. Artemio Reyes, 10 rounds, welterweights
Esquiva Falcao vs. Jonathan Tavira, 10 rounds, middleweights
Henry Lebron vs. Luis Diaz, 6 rounds, junior lightweights
Antonio Vargas vs. Aaron Echeveste, 6 rounds, bantamweights
Vladimir Nikitin vs. Edward Kakembo, 6 rounds, featherweights
Jose Lopez vs. Jorge Rodriguez, 6 rounds, junior welterweights
Yomar Alamon vs. Wilfredo Buelvas, 6 rounds, junior welterweights
Luis Melendez vs. Vicente Loredo, 4 rounds, featherweights

England card:
Dillian Whyte vs. Joseph Parker, 12 rounds, heavyweights
Katie Taylor vs. Kimberly Connor, 10 rounds, for Taylor's IBF/WBA female lightweight title
Carlos Takam vs. Dereck Chisora, 12 rounds, heavyweights

A few predictions from me:
Mikey Garcia by KO, 6th round
Luis Ortiz by KO, 5th round
Joseph Parker by UD
Katie Taylor by UD
Ito by UD

Chisora and Takam both lose to every good fighter they face and beat everybody else, so who knows

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
Two really good HW fights.
The Chisora Takam bout was a slugfest. Chisora behind in the scoring until those thunderous right hands.
Dillian Whyte clearly won against Parker but if the last round was a little longer he might not have seen out the distance. He was completely spent at the end.
Dubious early knockdown suffered by Parker cost him, as well as not being busy enough throughout the fight. He did well though getting up from that hook in the 9th. That was some punch.

Mickey Garcia won comfortably enough v Easter. Good jab by the tall guy but just not much behind it.
In the aftermath, Garcia once again calling out Spence Jr.

famicommander

15 Year Member
gGA7qSF.gif

Don't you hate it when someone tilts the entire axis of the earth when you're trying to get up?

famicommander

15 Year Member
Joshua's two most recent wins looked like shit last night.

Takam getting floored by a shot Chisora and Joe Parker losing to Dillian Shyte (whom Joshua beat already when both were at the prospect level).

And watch Joshua try to set up a fight with Whyte again if he beats Povetkin. Not Wilder or Ortiz.

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
Fami,

Who do you think would win in a fight between Mikey Garcia or Errol Spence?

I think Errol has the weight and power advantage, and if Mikey doesn't take him out early, I think Spence will eventually wear him down.

Mikey will give him a great fight, and pound for pound he is one of the best, but moving up in weight will be hard on him. I would prefer he fight Lomachenko first. That would be a classic, and I'd take Mikey.

cat

Two really good HW fights.
The Chisora Takam bout was a slugfest. Chisora behind in the scoring until those thunderous right hands.
Dillian Whyte clearly won against Parker but if the last round was a little longer he might not have seen out the distance. He was completely spent at the end.
Dubious early knockdown suffered by Parker cost him, as well as not being busy enough throughout the fight. He did well though getting up from that hook in the 9th. That was some punch.

Two cracking fights, chisora is a dangerous fighter when he actually trains properly for a fight and gets his head in the right place.
Whyte was knackered last 2 rounds but did more than enough to win by quite a margin by then. Joseph Parker is a little overrated i feel, he was slow and poor against joshua and barring a brown trousers last round for whyte he was pretty much bullied and muscled out the ring last night, whyte caught parker with a peach of a headbutt in the first knockdown and grumble all you want it's part of the game.
Whyte is really starting to look good TBH, he's a right old rough house in the ring with a banging left hook, and 18st 6lbs at the weight in for the fight so he's got the bulk to chuck around just about any other heavyweight like he did with parker last night, wilder for example weighed in at 15st 4ibs for his last fight

famicommander

15 Year Member
Chisora still sucks. Has never beaten a good fighter.

Whyte also sucks. It's just that Parker is significantly worse than I previously thought.

Heavyweight rankings:
1. Wilder
2. Joshua
3. Ortiz
4. Pulev
5. Povetkin

As for Mikey vs Spence, Mikey would have to be perfect. He's a better and more skilled boxer but Spence is much, much bigger and faster. Spence's main concern is that he's never fought anyone close to Mikey's level.

Last edited:

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
Chisora still sucks. Has never beaten a good fighter.

Whyte also sucks. It's just that Parker is significantly worse than I previously thought.

Heavyweight rankings:
1. Wilder
2. Joshua
3. Ortiz
4. Pulev
5. Povetkin

As for Mikey vs Spence, Mikey would have to be perfect. He's a better and more skilled boxer but Spence is much, much bigger and faster. Spence's main concern is that he's never fought anyone close to Mikey's level.

I'd like to see Mikey fight Lomachenko in December, and Pacquio on 5 de Mayo giving him his big payday (or vice versa).

Then if he wants to risk his hopefully still perfect record, fight Spence for an even bigger payday.

Mikey needs to avoid Spence at this time because his fan base is growing, and a loss will stop this trend. Less fans will mean less opportunities for big money.

godzilla43

Geese's Thug
And watch Joshua try to set up a fight with Whyte again if he beats Povetkin. Not Wilder or Ortiz.

Eddie Hearn said even before the match if Whyte wins comfortable(..don't mean anything even a win where you was saved by bell is "comfortable" ) and if the people on the interwebs want Joshua vs Whyte(..don't mean anything some paid bot comments on their youtube garbage is enough) then that will be the next match

or Hearn makes Whyte vs Wilder in hopes that Wilder KO Whyte and then Joshua vs Wilder will be even bigger match.

Last edited:

cat

My feeling is that whyte will fight chisora next, it'll be a big domestic fight for us in the UK, around november.
Winner will have either a wilder or joshua fight as the carrot

famicommander

15 Year Member
Whyte already beat Chisora. Waste of time.

Whyte is who Hearn wants Wilder to fight so Joshua can keep hiding. If not then Whyte will fight Joshua again.

One thing is for sure, Hearn's fighters (Whyte and Joshua) don't want any part of Luis Ortiz or Kubrat Pulev. Whyte already ducked both of them.

cat

Ducking is part of the game, i've lost count of the number of times big fights have not happened because "terms" couldn't be agreed, goes back years and has blighted the sport.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Wow.

Both Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder have confirmed that the two teams are in talks for a fight before the end of 2018, and they're closing in on a deal.

Fury will still be fighting Francesco Pianeta in August, but that dude isn't even ranked in BoxRec's top 130 heavyweights.

If this fight does happen, that's extremely ballsy on Tyson Fury's part. He could probably make more money just waiting on Anthony Joshua, who would be more than happy to fight him to avoid Wilder for another six months. Fury vs Joshua, two undefeated Brits fighting for the heavyweight title, would be massive in the UK.

On Wilder's part, it's a smart move. Joshua is already fighting Povetkin, Pulev is already fighting Hughie Fury, Ortiz just fought and Wilder already KO'd him, Whyte and Parker both suck and just fought anyway, so there are no real contenders available right now. Just fatass Jarrell Miller and Breazeale, who already got KO'd by Joshua. Fighting Tyson Fury takes away a huge payday from Joshua and it's a huge name to put on Wilder's resume.

Fury's not the lineal champion anymore due to inactivity, but he's still the man who ended Klitschko's reign. I would argue Wlad was pretty shot, but Fury's fans and the media don't care. Many still refer to Fury as the lineal champion. I can already see them promoting this fight as "the Real Heavyweight Championship". Plus the trash talk and antics between these two leading up to the fight will be hilarious.

They had better get this shit done now that people are already talking about it.

cat

Lol, i really dislike tyson fury, but to be fair he is a very awkward fighter and he's got a decent jab, however, he's had 1 fight against a journeyman and he's got another coming up against another bum, kudos to him if he thinks he can take on wilder, i know where my money would be, but seriously i can't see it happening.
His fight against Klitschko was an absolute bore fest, fookin terrible.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Oh for sure, Fury vs Klitschko was an awful fight. I don't think Fury would beat Wilder on Fury's absolute best day, let alone right now. He's probably just looking to cash out and then buy cocaine and Twinkies.

But if Wilder beats Fury, that really backs Joshua into a corner. It drastically raises Wilder's profile and it takes away another potential opponent Joshua could use to delay the Wilder fight.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Great news

Effective January 1, all the major boxing governing bodies will be enforcing IBF-style second day weigh ins for all title fights. This means that the fighters cannot put on more than 10% more weight than what they weighed in at the day prior.

If a fighter fails the second day weigh in, they will not be allowed to fight for any world title for at least one year.

Last edited: