Boxing thread

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
They flip-flopped AGAIN and have now awarded the Ring middleweight title to Golovkin. This is because with Canelo out of the rankings, they have GGG-Jacobs at 1-2 and GGG beat Jacobs.

So now Canelo has no titles and Golovkin is back up to 4.

Yeah, all of this is ridiculous. More plot twists then an episode of The bold and the beautiful.
Let the fists fly, then we'll see where all the titles land.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
Aside from hardcore fanatics and the various networks, the belts themselves are meaningless to the majority of boxing fans, IMO.
The boxers themselves use them as a bargaining chip in terms of finances. I highly doubt that any fighter willingly pays those sanctioning fees if it meant that they couldn't use that alphabet soup title into negotiating a better deal for future bouts.
I don't need to see who holds what belt to know that GGG is the middleweight champ. The rest is just boxing politics and bullshit.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Canelo vs Golovkin II is official, September 15.

Well, I guess the good thing is that since Canelo is pissed at GGG for the PED comments, it should be a good fight. Especially since now GGG knows he can't trust the judges that Oscar picks.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Well, I guess the good thing is that since Canelo is pissed at GGG for the PED comments, it should be a good fight. Especially since now GGG knows he can't trust the judges that Oscar picks.

Golovkin's more pissed. If the first fight had gone on as scheduled, Golovkin would be about 30 million dollars richer, he would be the unified WBA (Super)/WBC/IBF/IBO/Ring/lineal champion, and he'd be setting up an undisputed title match with Saunders for another huge payday.

Instead he had to find a last minute replacement, fight for 1 million dollars, get stripped of his IBF title, and take this tough fight another 6 months into his late 30s. And that pushes a potential Saunders fight even farther back, and then he has to go get his IBF strap back if he wants to retire undisputed as has been his goal.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Golovkin had Saunders lined up for an August unification fight if they couldn't land the Canelo deal. He used Saunders as a bargaining chip to get more money and it worked. Originally it was a 70/30 split for Canelo, then 65/35, then 58/42. They didn't disclose the final split yet but probably 55/45.

Hopefully Golovkin beats Canelo and then gets Saunders in May. Then he'd probably end up fighting Jacobs, the guy who came closest to beating him (not counting that draw they gifted Canelo) for the last belt. Jacobs vs Derevyanchenko is likely the fight for the IBF strap they took away from Golovkin.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I feel bad for GGG, his initial plan was to retire after beating Canelo and all this crap happened. IBF is BS, GGG was really the only boxer that defended that title. Most boxers didn't care for the 10lb hydration limit with second day weigh in. Jacobs just gifted GGG that belt since he rather came in the ring at cruiserweight. Now IBF got rid of the 2nd day weigh in for Unification fights which is BS, it should always be the same. I wouldn't mind a rematch though but I want to see Jacobs fight Charlo first.

famicommander

15 Year Member
His goal was always to unify the whole division; Canelo wasn't supposed to be the retirement fight. Just the one that sets him for life money wise.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I don't know how Ocampo became a mandatory challenger for Spence with zero top 20 wins but Spence got him out of there with a body shot, 1 second remaining in the first round.

Earlier in the night Javier Fortuna was pushed through the ropes and hit his head and neck hard on something right outside the ring. Had to be taken out of there on a stretcher with a neck brace. Hope he's okay.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Golovkin's trainer said today that he thinks GGG has 4-5 big fights left in him, so probably 2 more years or so.

Also said they still want Saunders and the WBO belt next, so that's good. Goal is still to become undisputed but they're also after money fights. So they want the IBF belt back but they wouldn't turn down a bigger fight to get it.

And finally, turns out the belt that the Ring awarded to Golovkin was their new Pound for Pound belt. The middleweight belt is indeed still vacant, and will be awarded to the winner of the GGG-Canelo rematch.

The vacant lineal title will not be on the line, however, as Canelo must have a fight and then test clean in order to return to the TBRB rankings. That would probably mean that Golovkin vs Saunders would be the lineal title match.

Ideally, we get
Golovkin vs Canelo to unify the WBA (Super)/WBC/IBO/Ring
Derevyanchenko vs Jacobs for the vacant IBF belt
Saunders defending his WBO belt vs some chump

Then
Canelo/GGG winner (Golovkin probably) vs Saunders to unify the WBA/WBC/WBO/IBO/Ring/lineal titles
Jacobs vs WBC interim champion Jermall Charlo

And then finally (likely)
Golovkin vs Jacobs II for the undisputed WBA (Super)/WBC/IBF/WBO/IBO/Ring/lineal middleweight championship.

Jacobs gave Golovkin his best fight in my opinion. If Golovkin makes it through Canelo, Saunders, and Jacobs with 3 wins and all the titles he will effectively cement himself among the likes of B-Hop, Robinson, and Hagler in middleweight lore.

And those are easily the three biggest money fights left for GGG anyway, so it makes sense.

Then he can take as many mandatory defenses as he feels like and retire undisputed.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Joshua and Hearn are now saying that they can't fight Wilder with just an eight week camp... despite the fact that Wilder would have the same amount of time for camp, and despite the fact that they could have the fight any time between September and November.

And they still haven't sent Wilder a contract.

Hearn and Joshua literally won't accept the terms of the deal that THEY sent to Wilder.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Sequence of events from the top:
-Wilder KOs Ortiz, calls out Joshua
-Joshua decisions Parker, avoids committing to Wilder fight
-Joshua/Hearn say Joshua will fight Wilder if he beats Dillian Whyte
-Wilder says he will fight Whyte, but only if he gets it in writing that Joshua is next
-Joshua/Hearn decline
-Joshua/Hearn offer Wilder a flat fee with no revenue split to take the fight, claiming the fight is only worth 40 million so Wilder has to take 12.5 million
-Wilder declines, says the fight will be much bigger than 40 million so both should get more money
-Joshua says if Wilder can guarantee him 50 million dollars he'll take the fight "tomorrow"
-Wilder comes up with the 50 million, wants the fight in the US
-Joshua/Hearn decline and now say it's not about the money. The fight has to be in the UK for Joshua's fans, even though both fighters make more in the US
-Wilder agrees to fight in the UK
-Joshua/Hearn now say that in addition, Wilder must take less than he thinks the fight is worth, he must agree to give Joshua a rematch if he wins, he must let Joshua pick the location and time of the fight
-Wilder agrees, asks for the contract
-Hearn has claimed just today that he both has and has not sent the contract. I'm thinking he hasn't, because Wilder is still calling them bitches on twitter.
-Hearn says Joshua can't fight Wilder on an 8 week camp, despite the fact that there is no date even set yet and both fighters will have the same amount of time to prepare

I don't know what Wilder has to do to get this fight. If Hearn and Joshua really want to fight Povetkin before Wilder they should have just said that from the beginning and not wasted everyone's time. Because either this fight happens next or Hearn and Joshua come out of it looking like bitches.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Sequence of events from the top:
-Wilder KOs Ortiz, calls out Joshua
-Joshua decisions Parker, avoids committing to Wilder fight
-Joshua/Hearn say Joshua will fight Wilder if he beats Dillian Whyte
-Wilder says he will fight Whyte, but only if he gets it in writing that Joshua is next
-Joshua/Hearn decline
-Joshua/Hearn offer Wilder a flat fee with no revenue split to take the fight, claiming the fight is only worth 40 million so Wilder has to take 12.5 million
-Wilder declines, says the fight will be much bigger than 40 million so both should get more money
-Joshua says if Wilder can guarantee him 50 million dollars he'll take the fight "tomorrow"
-Wilder comes up with the 50 million, wants the fight in the US
-Joshua/Hearn decline and now say it's not about the money. The fight has to be in the UK for Joshua's fans, even though both fighters make more in the US
-Wilder agrees to fight in the UK
-Joshua/Hearn now say that in addition, Wilder must take less than he thinks the fight is worth, he must agree to give Joshua a rematch if he wins, he must let Joshua pick the location and time of the fight
-Wilder agrees, asks for the contract
-Hearn has claimed just today that he both has and has not sent the contract. I'm thinking he hasn't, because Wilder is still calling them bitches on twitter.
-Hearn says Joshua can't fight Wilder on an 8 week camp, despite the fact that there is no date even set yet and both fighters will have the same amount of time to prepare

I don't know what Wilder has to do to get this fight. If Hearn and Joshua really want to fight Povetkin before Wilder they should have just said that from the beginning and not wasted everyone's time. Because either this fight happens next or Hearn and Joshua come out of it looking like bitches.

It's clear a fight with Wilder is a big risk for Joshua career wise. One he is unwilling to take. All Joshua really has is rep, and it's not that great. Doesn't want it tarnished. Pacquiao got to fight Mayweather when both were past it and it was about the bens and them benz'

famicommander

15 Year Member
I think the fight has to be made at this point. Joshua is backed into a corner. The question is, are we getting it next or after Povetkin? Joshua/Hearn clearly want that last payday with Povetkin before they do the two fights with Wilder. They're not confident they're going to win (which is why they insisted on a two fight deal; Wilder was unconcerned with a rematch) so they want to cash out before Joshua loses that 0 on his loss record. Especially since they talked themselves out of a minimum of $50,000,000 to fight Wilder in the US.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Finkel confirmed the paperwork Matchroom Boxing’s Barry Hearn was received three days later than planned on Monday, and by Tuesday had sent TWO POINTS to be reaffirmed by Joshua's handlers before making the fight official.

Giving an update on Thursday, Finkel explained a roadblock had been hit as a result of a failure to respond on the part of Hearn.
http://www.worldboxingnews.net/2018...in-order-to-move-forward-with-joshua-contract

The Hearns sent the contract three days later than they were supposed to and are now ignoring requests for clarification.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist

I think that's a load of BS. I'm siding with Wilder on this one.

DW absolutely wants the fight. It's the Hearn camp that are putting any and every obstacle in the way to delay that from happening.
At this point I truly believe that the only way the fight gets made is if Joshua gets shamed into doing it, and goes over his promoters head and demands to close the deal.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
It did cross my mind that that was exactly what I would say if I was trying to duck it myself.

famicommander

15 Year Member
And the truth comes out.

Joshua and Hearn sent a contract that didn't specify the date, venue, or even that the fight would be next.

Some are saying they wanted to ink Wilder to the deal, then make the fight after Joshua fights Povetkin anyway.

These are the details that Wilder's team wanted Hearn to clarify last week, only for Hearn to ignore their emails.

The only boxing promoter worse than Hearn is Don King, and that's only because Don King straight up killed two people.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Looks like Hearn got what he wanted.

The WBA says the negotiations are taking too long and are now enforcing Povetkin vs Joshua as a mandatory. Joshua must fight Povetkin or he will be stripped of the WBA belt.

This was Hearn's plan all along. Run out the clock, take the easier fight, then try to blame Wilder in the media. Fucking pathetic.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Joshua is fighting Povetkin on 9/22 and Hearn is using it to launch a new streaming/PPV service in the US.

That's what this whole thing has been about. They never wanted the Wilder fight; the plan was always to use the Wilder negotiations to bring more attention to Joshua so more people would care about this streaming service. A Wilder fight would end up on Showtime PPV most likely, so it wouldn't line Hearn's pockets besides his usual promoter fees.

Problem is, they just made Joshua look like a giant pussy.

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Joshua is fighting Povetkin on 9/22 and Hearn is using it to launch a new streaming/PPV service in the US.

That's what this whole thing has been about. They never wanted the Wilder fight; the plan was always to use the Wilder negotiations to bring more attention to Joshua so more people would care about this streamt service. A Wilder fight would end up on Showtime PPV most likely, so it wouldn't line Hearn's pockets besides his usual promoter fees.

Problem is, they just made Joshua look like a giant pussy.

He isn't assured a victory against Povetkin though. It could blow up in their faces