Boxing thread

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Anybody watch the fights on HBO last night? Gesta vs Linares and Matthysse vs Kiram?

Linares outboxed Gesta and Matthysse fought a sloppy, boring fight before knocking Kiram out in the 8th.

There has been a lot of great boxing on TV recently. The sport really had a great 2017, except for a few bogus decisions (GGG vs Canelo most notably).

Anyway, there are quite a few fights coming up on TV in February. Anybody watching any of these?

February 2, Showtime:
-Ronald Ellis vs. Junior Younan, 10 rounds, super middleweights
-Wellington Romero vs. Samuel Teah, 8 rounds, junior welterweights
-Thomas Mattice vs. Rolando Chinea, 8 rounds, lightweights
-Devon Haney vs. Harmonito Dela Torre, 8 rounds, lightweights

February 3, ESPN:
-Gilberto "Zurdo" Ramirez vs. Habib Ahmed, 12 rounds, for Ramirez's WBO super middleweight title
-Jerwin Ancajas vs. Israel Gonzalez, 12 rounds, for Ancajas' IBF junior bantamweight title

February 10, CBS Sports Network:
-Nico Hernandez vs. Jozsef Ajtai, 8 rounds for vacant IBF flyweight title

February 16, ESPN:
-Raymundo Beltran vs. Paulus Moses, 12 rounds, for vacant WBO lightweight title
-Egidijus Kavaliauskas vs. David Avanesyan, 10 rounds, welterweights
-Shakur Stevenson vs. Juan Tapia, 8 rounds, featherweights

February 17, Showtime:
-Danny Garcia vs. Brandon Rios, 12 rounds, WBC title eliminator
-David Benavidez vs. Ronald Gavril, rematch, 12 rounds, for Benavidez's WBC super middleweight title

February 17, Fox Sports 1:
-Devon Alexander vs. Victor Ortiz, 12 rounds, welterweights
-Caleb Plant vs. Rogelio "Porky" Medina, 12 rounds, IBF super middleweight eliminator

February 22, ESPN:
-Joseph Diaz Jr. vs. Victor Terrazas, 10 rounds, featherweights

February 24, HBO:
-Srisaket Sor Rungvisai vs. Juan Francisco Estrada, 12 rounds, for Sor Rungvisai's WBC junior bantamweight title
-Carlos Cuadras vs. McWilliams Arroyo, 10 rounds, junior bantamweights
-Donnie Nietes vs. Juan Carlos Reveco, 12 rounds, for Nietes' IBF flyweight title
-Brian Viloria vs. Artem Dalakian, 12 rounds, for vacant WBA flyweight title

Garcia vs Rios is the biggest one for me.

Last edited:

sr20det510

Geese's Limo Driver
I was at the fights last night.
It was a pretty fun night, with both Linares and Mattysse winning their matches.

Linares seemed to controll the fight, but he was slow and gave Mercito Gesta way too many chances. There were lots of Pinoy fans in the forum, sadly their chants of, "No Mercy!" didn't help Gesta get the decision.

I was surprised when the 118-110 score was read in that fight, because Linares seemed lazy and not really into the fight.
Either Mikey or Vasyl will probably be his opponent, and as much as I like Linares, I don't see him winning either.

In the other fight Kiram looked good, and thought he'd get the decision. Matthysse looked like crap and the Argentian fans in attendance were pissed, and dissapointed, until he dropped him with a jab :thevt:. Kiram looked confused, and a few seconds later he was once again dropped with another jab. I think he was surprised after the first knockdown, and didn't know what hit him, and that's why he ended up losing.

I was disappointed Yoshihiro "El Maestrito" Kamegai♥didn't get to fight, because he is a brawler. Hope I can see him fight live one day.

What did you think of Errol Spence's fight last week?
Think he will be the future of boxing!kg

Last edited:

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
I caught a bit of the Matthysse Kiram fight. Maybe that's just me but this one looked dodgy. The guy got dropped twice with stiff jabs. And the way he fell. Like he had been shot.
Matthysse carries power, we've all seen it in the past, but this was more than just a little theatrical to me.

The Benavidez Gavril rematch should be a good one.
And I'm looking forward to seeing more of Sor Rungvisai. The way he starched Chocolatito in his last fight, made me a fan.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
I've been a boxing fan for a while, but my interest in the sport has decreased over the years. I recently saw the Errol Spence and Peterson fight though and I am very impressed with Spence. All of his punches look crisp and painful. He may be the P4P best at this time. The fight I really want to see get made is Wilder and Joshua.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Been a good couple of years for boxing yep. Some retirements I regret too. Robert Guerrero for instance who has been my favourite boxer for a long time.
Watched the Matthysse fight and it kind of confirmed my fears, Matthysse is close to retirement, winning this belt means a few high profile fights before he's done. A great fighter but his heart might no be in it anymore. Postol left him reeling.
The Thai fighter was so evidently a bullshit lie. Shows once more their stats are misleading AF. The KO looked real enough, the first one was a two punch combo with the first doing most of the damage I think.
Argentine fans in every sport suck donkey nuts, they think they are more important than the athletes competing in from of them. Pathetic.

I want to see Brian Castaño fight. He's one of our international belt holders and though he has skills, he's still young and unproven. I want him to prove his metal. Same as the up and coming promise that is Chino Maidana's younger brother Fabián Maidana.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I've been a boxing fan for a while, but my interest in the sport has decreased over the years. I recently saw the Errol Spence and Peterson fight though and I am very impressed with Spence. All of his punches look crisp and painful. He may be the P4P best at this time. The fight I really want to see get made is Wilder and Joshua.

Wilder vs Ortiz has already been made. March 3 on Showtime.

And in my book Thurman, Crawford, and Spence are the three best. Hopefully we get to see them fight each other.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
What did you think of Errol Spence's fight last week?
Think he will be the future of boxing!kg

No doubt he looks the goods and so far has delivered, but I want to see him up against Thurman. Not sure how Thurman's rehab is going from his elbow injury, though.
Another great match-up would be against Terrence Crawford.

The fight I really want to see get made is Wilder and Joshua.

If Wilder gets past Ortiz (this is no gimmie) and Joshua downs Parker, Wilder- Joshua is a near cert for later this year.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Golovkin/Canelo II set for May 5.

Hopefully the judges from the last fight were launched into the sun.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Golovkin/Canelo II set for May 5.

Hopefully the judges from the last fight were launched into the sun.

Daaaayum
Good shit. Predict Golovkin will change tactics. First fight was steep learning curve. Canelo will try and pick him off from a defensive stance

Wilder Joshua would be fun but come on, heavyweight boxing these days is crap. Wilder for all his antics is a shit fighter (imo). and I think Tyson Fury is the most awkward fighter I have seen in a long time. Heavyweights are either Joshua types in perfect shape, or deformed hulking beasts like Fury

Last edited:

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
Wilder Joshua would be fun but come on, heavyweight boxing these days is crap. Wilder for all his antics is a shit fighter (imo). and I think Tyson Fury is the most awkward fighter I have seen in a long time. Heavyweights are either Joshua types in perfect shape, or deformed hulking beasts like Fury

I feel it's definitely picked up though in terms of public interest since the days of Wlad and co. That had to be one of the poorer periods ever in terms of the HW's.

I can't recall the network now (HBO or Showtime?) but at one stage I think they turned down broadcasting some Klitschko title fights. The "fights" themselves were snoozefests. Wlad, by that time had developed his bobbing up and down on the spot, staying out of range, jab-clinch-jab-clinch-occasional right hand-clinch, safety first style. This was after he was starched by our very own Corrie Sanders (rest his soul), and then later on gassed out against Brewster.

Funny thing about that Sanders fight.

Corrie at that stage was in his late thirties and past his best. And he was never known as a hard worker in the gym. Always sporting a type of belly in his fights.

Anyways, so he went over to Germany very late for the fight. By all accounts he took it as a decent payday, nothing more.
About a week or so before the fight a few of my mates and myself were over at Ceasars. That was a popular nightspot in Johannesburg at the time. Sanders was there. Beer and cig in hand and signing autographs. I shit you not. We spotted his trainer-Harold Volbrecht with some other people coming in to the place and taking him out.

Point being that if our own 37 year old Corrie Sanders with such poor dedication could take out Klitschko in a couple rounds, what does that say of the state of the Heavyweights and in particular one of the "standard bearers" of the division (Wladimir Klitschko) at the time?

And yeah, Fury looks like a type of Ogre. :p

famicommander

15 Year Member
It's too bad Wlad's reign came in such a down time in the heavyweight division, because I think he really was an amazing boxer. I would have given anything to see prime Wlad vs prime Lennox Lewis, instead of injured Vitali vs aging Lewis.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Amir Khan is fighting Phil Lo Greco at welterweight on April 21. He sure as hell doesn't want to try to go back up to middleweight. Been two years since:
khan-canelo.gif

But Khan does have some good wins on his record. Maidana, Algieri, Judah, and Alexander.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Linares is in talks with Lomachenko for a fight in April or May on ESPN. Not a sure thing but it's looking pretty likely.

Biggest test yet for Lomachenko. He's got skills but it's never easy for a young fighter to move up in weight class and challenge an established champion in his first fight.

I'd give the edge to Lomachenko but it's going to be a fun one to watch.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Can't stand Khan, fuck him.
Biggest load of shit of the last few months was Chocolatito's output

famicommander

15 Year Member
Watched last night's Showtime card today on demand. Not a great set of fights. First fight was almost an eight round shutout, second fight was one dude throwing soft punches in massive amounts until he got knocked out in round six. Main event was a decent fight but it ended in a draw.

Hopefully the two fights on ESPN tonight are better. I'll be at the Nuggets vs Warriors game so I'll have to DVR them, but I'm still pretty excited.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
One of the better Cruiserweight fights of recent times saw IBF champ Murat Gassiev stopping WBA titleholder Yunier Dorticos with just a few seconds remaining in the final round.
Gassiev had this one in control on the cards but the other guy put up a very gutsy effort.

Next up for Gassiev is for the undisputed Cruiserweight championship when he takes on the undefeated WBC and WBO champ Oleksandr Usyk.

acblunden2

Rugal's Thug
I am watching all of those fights!!!

Here is a fight that never gets talked about. I watched Billy Joe Saunders put on a clinic with Lemieux. Was very impressed by him. Boring style, true but still very impressed. Soo many more well known fights out there. Always though, it is the "lesser" more obscure fights that really keep the sport going.

The interesting thing to watch out for over the next few years is out of Thurman, Spence, Crawford, who will unify the division.

Looking forward to Canelo vs. Golovkin II. I feel big fight nerves go to Golovkin early in I. He will be more settled the 2nd time around. If Canelo does nothing about his gas tank problems and keeps the entitled smug attitude he has, he will lose unless of course, the judges save his ass again.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
If you're a brit there's a home grown cracker on the card's this weekend, groves v eubank jr, no love lost between these 2 fella's, should be an entertaining tear up, both banger's as well.
I can see these 2 guy's looking for the KO, can't see it going the distance myself.
I fancy eubank jr by the way.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
Here is a fight that never gets talked about. I watched Billy Joe Saunders put on a clinic with Lemieux. Was very impressed by him. Boring style, true but still very impressed. Soo many more well known fights out there.

Speaking of Saunders,

Like father like son, ;p

I can see these 2 guy's looking for the KO, can't see it going the distance myself.
I fancy eubank jr by the way.

I see Eubank taking this as well.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Boxing was much better when Neo Geo games were being produced. I think they were inspired by the legend of success Joe.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Terence Crawford vs Jeff Horn has been moved from April 14 to April 28 on a PPV card.

The card for that show
Jeff Horn defending his WBO Welterweight title vs Terence Crawford
Manny Pacquiao vs Mike Alvarado
Jessie Magdaleno defending his WBO Jr Featherweight title vs Issac Dogboe

famicommander

15 Year Member
Beltran vs Moses tonight, WBO lightweight world title fight on ESPN. Anyone else going to watch? 7:00 PM Mountain Time, so that's 9:00 back east.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Beltran vs Moses was a really good fight. Very close. I thought Moses landed the more effective punches but Beltran got the decision.

Eubank Jr vs Groves is about to start, catching a stream of it.

The Fox card starts in 3 hours and the Showtime card in 4.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Groves easily won a decision against Eubank Jr.

Plant easily won a decision against Medina

Alexander beat the crap out of Ortiz but somehow the judges turned in a draw

Benavidez nearly shut out Gavrill

Yordenis Ugas stopped "the new" Ray Robinson in 7

Garcia put Rios to sleep

Overall, solid day of boxing. Just two more cards this month before the real fun begins next month.

Last edited:

sr20det510

Geese's Limo Driver
Groves easily won a decision against Eubank Jr.

Plant easily won a decision against Medina

Alexander beat the crap out of Ortiz but somehow the judges turned in a draw

Benavidez nearly shut out Gavrill

Yordenis Ugas stopped "the new" Ray Robinson in 7

Garcia put Rios to sleep

Overall, solid day of boxing. Just two more cards this month before the real fun begins next month.

Excellent day of boxing.

I missed the Eubanks-Groves fight, but will watch the replay roday.

The Showtime card was great.

Gavrill had no answer to Benavidez. Even when he (Gavrill) connected his punches had no power behind them.

The Ortiz decision was a joke, and that's the kind of decision that turns people off to boxing.

Last edited: