Boxing thread

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Tyson Fury says he wants the Wilder fight but instead he's fighting Francesco Pianeta, who has lost 2 of his last 3 fights. Another bum. Not as bad as Seferi but still a major bum.

The WBO has ordered Billy Joe Saunders to fight Demetrius Andrade. They have 10 days to negotiate before a purse bid is ordered.

We'll see if Billy Joe actually takes the fight. Andrade is a legit contender, and Saunders usually ducks those unless it's for huge money and this isn't going to be a money fight. But if Saunders ducks this one the WBO will strip him, which could cost him a Golovkin or Canelo fight, which obviously WOULD be for huge money.

Hopefully Saunders just takes the fight and doesn't derail the GGG fight in May.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
who is your favourite future promise in the sport?

I have my eyes set on Gervonta Davis. I think he's the real thing. give him a few years and he'll be a beast.

famicommander

15 Year Member
who is your favourite future promise in the sport?

I have my eyes set on Gervonta Davis. I think he's the real thing. give him a few years and he'll be a beast.

Gervonta Davis - Floyd Mayweather has hitched his wagon to this kid so he's probably legit as far as skills. Hopefully he's not a total head case like Adrien Broner.

As far as younger guys that haven't won a world title yet:

Teofimo Lopez - age 20, 9-0-0 with 7 KOs, lightweight. Kid has vicious instincts and loves to show off. Not tested against great opponents yet though.

Mickey Conlan - possibly a bit overhyped as Brit or Irish fighters tend to be, but he looks pretty legit so far. Extensive amateur background, 8-0-0 with 5 KOs, 26 years old, super bantamweight

Devin Haney - this kid has all the skills but he has to break some bad habits. When he's too confident he tends to fight with his gloves down and mouth open, so if he doesn't fix that a veteran fighter is gonna knock him cold

I would have said Shakur Stevenson but he just fucked up badly and got in trouble with da law

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Gervonta Davis - Floyd Mayweather has hitched his wagon to this kid so he's probably legit as far as skills. Hopefully he's not a total head case like Adrien Broner.

As far as younger guys that haven't won a world title yet:

Teofimo Lopez - age 20, 9-0-0 with 7 KOs, lightweight. Kid has vicious instincts and loves to show off. Not tested against great opponents yet though.

Mickey Conlan - possibly a bit overhyped as Brit or Irish fighters tend to be, but he looks pretty legit so far. Extensive amateur background, 8-0-0 with 5 KOs, 26 years old, super bantamweight

Devin Haney - this kid has all the skills but he has to break some bad habits. When he's too confident he tends to fight with his gloves down and mouth open, so if he doesn't fix that a veteran fighter is gonna knock him cold

I would have said Shakur Stevenson but he just fucked up badly and got in trouble with da law

Devin Haney is definitely an interesting prospect. another Mayweather fledgling. still so young, has a long road ahead of him.

Fabian Maidana, Chino's up and coming little brother has some skills for sure. a different type of fighter than his brother, more defensive and tactical, doesn't have the explosive power that Chino had but he has numberous KOs and TKOs to his name

famicommander

15 Year Member
Eddie Hearn is now saying Wilder deserves less money if the Joshua fight were to happen in April.

He's already trying to think up excuses before Joshua even fights Povetkin.

acblunden2

Rugal's Thug
Canelo is not the lineal champion anymore. He left the weight class for two fights, came back and had a draw, then got suspended.

In fact, his only victory at actual middleweight was against Amir Khan, a blown up welterweight.

He won the lineal title at a catchweight, then fought Khan, left the weight class entirely to win a title at super welterweight, came back to fight Chavez at catchweight again, fought Golovkin and was gifted the draw in a fight he obviously lost, then got suspended.

The lineal title is vacant, and Canelo will not re-enter the rankings until he wins a fight cleanly. So the lineal title match will likely be against Saunders.

True, Canelo vacated the ceremonial lineal title when he ducked Golovkin by fighting Liam Smith. That catchweight fight with JCCJr was a joke. But since he has not been beaten since he won it from Martinez, he is unofficially credited with the lineal title. In either case, come September, the big fight jitters that Golovkin displayed for the first time in his career will be replaced with expecience. We won't see the same tepid fighter in rounds 1-4 that we saw a year ago. Golovkin knows now that Canelo is a front runner; he'll run out of gas expecially now since he isn't on the clenbuterol.

Here is my prediction. Golovkin goes to the body in rounds 1-4 to take out Canelo's legs for the later rounds. Something he surprisingly didn't do in the first fight at all. Then he opens up his game plan and pummels Canelo the rest of the fight. After watching the first fight, I don't see any way how Canelo can beat Golovkin. He doesn't have the footwork to avoid Golovkin. Only way Golovkin loses the rematch is if the fix is in or the last fight Golovkin had in him was the fight with Martirosyan (unlikely) You never watch a Golovkin fight expecting to see him get knocked out. Not going to happen.

djjimmyjames

NG.com Tattoo Artist.,
15 Year Member
True, Canelo vacated the ceremonial lineal title when he ducked Golovkin by fighting Liam Smith. That catchweight fight with JCCJr was a joke. But since he has not been beaten since he won it from Martinez, he is unofficially credited with the lineal title. In either case, come September, the big fight jitters that Golovkin displayed for the first time in his career will be replaced with expecience. We won't see the same tepid fighter in rounds 1-4 that we saw a year ago. Golovkin knows now that Canelo is a front runner; he'll run out of gas expecially now since he isn't on the clenbuterol.

Here is my prediction. Golovkin goes to the body in rounds 1-4 to take out Canelo's legs for the later rounds. Something he surprisingly didn't do in the first fight at all. Then he opens up his game plan and pummels Canelo the rest of the fight. After watching the first fight, I don't see any way how Canelo can beat Golovkin. He doesn't have the footwork to avoid Golovkin. Only way Golovkin loses the rematch is if the fix is in or the last fight Golovkin had in him was the fight with Martirosyan (unlikely) You never watch a Golovkin fight expecting to see him get knocked out. Not going to happen.

Huge fan of both these fighters right now and I think Golovkin is better and will win.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Alright gents, predictions for Pacquiao vs Matthysse tonight?

I'll thinking Pacquiao via 8th round TKO

Also, Prograis is fighting on regular ESPN. Probably the best fighter in his weight class, great KO artist.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Pacquiao man card is about to start.

I had the undercard IBF world flyweight title match going on the laptop while the Prograis fight was on too, another good scrap. Luckily Prograis got the KO fast enough for me to catch the last 5 rounds with my full attention.

Three more world title matches on the card. Gotta say, Pac did a good job putting this event together.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Doubtful. I think Lomachenko is going to fight Beltran (assuming Beltran beats Perdraza).

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
I see Jeff Horn now is kinda calling out Pac for a rematch.

Take it to the Philippines. They would lap it up over there.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Lomachenko's team is saying that they will not fight Pacquiao at catchweight -- if the fight is going to happen, Pac has to come down to 135.

I don't see any way a 40 year old fighter drops two weight classes to fight one of the top P4P guys.

It also shows that Lomachenko's camp is aware that they are probably at the right weight for them right now. If Lomachenko moves up any time soon he may very well get knocked out cold. The size disadvantage vs Linares nearly cost him.

So they need to keep pushing for Garcia vs Lomachenko and Pacquiao vs Crawford.

Pac mentioned Lomachenko, Khan, and Crawford as his next potential opponents.

Khan and his glass chin would be an easy money fight for Pacquiao. If he fights Bud Crawford he's getting put to sleep like he did last time he fought Marquez.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Turns out the Lewis/Klitschko thing isn't happening. Whomever is trying to set it up told Vitali that Lewis had already agreed, so Vitali agreed, but in reality nobody ever asked Lewis at all.

As for Jacobs/Golovkin, Jacobs never had the IBF belt. Golovkin won it from David Lemieux. Jacobs had the WBA (Regular) belt, which is how he got the fight against Golovkin who was/is the WBA (Super) champion. What happened was that Jacobs skipped the mandatory 2nd day weigh in that the IBF required, so Jacobs was ineligible to win that belt in their fight.

Yup, I realized that right after I posted but was on the way out the door so I just left it unedited lol

famicommander

15 Year Member
I think the Prograis Loma fight would be hilarious.

Would be a good fight.

Not sure if Lomachenko could stand up to his power, but then again Prograis fights with his hands down fairly often. Loma would definitely land on him.

famicommander

15 Year Member
HUGE fight day tomorrow.

The big one:
Oleksandr Usyk vs Murrat Gassiev for the undisputed WBA (Super)/WBC/IBF/WBO/Ring/lineal cruiserweight championship of the world. Fight is on at 3:00 PM Eastern on some internet thing called KlowdTV. On the undercard is undisputed WBA/WBC/IBF/WBO/IBO women's world welterweight champion Cecila Braekhus defending against Inna Sagaydakovskya.

And on HBO:
Jaime Munguia vs. Liam Smith, 12 rounds, for Munguia's WBO junior middleweight title
Alberto Machado vs. Rafael Mensah, 12 rounds, for Machado's WBA "regular" junior lightweight title
Yamaguchi Falcao vs. Elias Espadas, 10 rounds, middleweights
Carlos Caraballo vs. Jesus Martinez, 8 rounds, junior featherweights
Blair Cobbs vs. Emmanuel Valadez, 6 rounds, welterweights

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Very much looking forward to the Mikey Garcia fight next week. Such a talent, doesn't dodge the tough fights

famicommander

15 Year Member
Usyk vs Gassiev is about to start if anyone wants to catch it.

Should be a fight of the year candidate. I'm gonna go with Usyk UD12, but it could easily go the other way.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I knew Uysk was good, but god damn.

He just made a world class fighter look totally pedestrian. Usyk fights like Lomachenko, except he's got MUCH better defense.

First undisputed cruiserweight champion since Holyfield in 1988. Second undisputed champion in any weight class since Jermain Taylor in 2005 (the other being Terence Crawford last year).

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
I knew Uysk was good, but god damn.

He just made a world class fighter look totally pedestrian. Usyk fights like Lomachenko, except he's got MUCH better defense.

First undisputed cruiserweight champion since Holyfield in 1988. Second undisputed champion in any weight class since Jermain Taylor in 2005 (the other being Terence Crawford last year).
Great feet and a lovely jab, he was a man on a mission tonight.
Nice to see him call out tony bellew as well in the after fight interview.

Last edited: