Boxing thread

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I think Jacobs is good enough to beat Canelo but I am not sure if he can win a decision against Canelo. Golovkin beat him twice and came out with a loss and a draw, Lara arguably beat or drew against him, Floyd shut him out and one card came back even.

It should be a great fight either way. But I'm not sure Jacobs can knock Canelo out, and I'm afraid that's what he'll have to do to get a win. Especially in Las Vegas.

I'm definitely rooting for Jacobs.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I think Jacobs is good enough to beat Canelo but I am not sure if he can win a decision against Canelo. Golovkin beat him twice and came out with a loss and a draw, Lara arguably beat or drew against him, Floyd shut him out and one card came back even.

It should be a great fight either way. But I'm not sure Jacobs can knock Canelo out, and I'm afraid that's what he'll have to do to get a win. Especially in Las Vegas.

I'm definitely rooting for Jacobs.

I agree, even if Jacobs "wins" he'll lose. KO is the only way but I don't see that happening.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Maybe. Canelo is unfairly standing on higher ground. But he is a brilliant top tier fighter and he can also win said fight. I feel the only one that showed him up some was Mayweather, but that was down to all the weaving ducking and counterpunching.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Maybe. Canelo is unfairly standing on higher ground. But he is a brilliant top tier fighter and he can also win said fight. I feel the only one that showed him up some was Mayweather, but that was down to all the weaving ducking and counterpunching.

There has never been any question about Canelo's ability. It's just that he's a cheater and his promoter is a bigger cheater.

As for the Mayweather fight, Canelo was just completely and totally outclassed.
giphy.gif

4_medium.gif

8_medium.gif

giphy.gif

Floyd was already past his prime when this fight happened.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Venues and dates to be announced soon for the WBSS Semi Finals:
Dxwi4f3U8AA1Kqh.jpg

Winner of the Bantamweight tournament will come out with the WBA (unifying both the Super and Regular belts for once), IBF, and WBO champion for sure and, depending on the rankings at the time of the finals, possibly also the Ring and lineal belts.

Winner of the Super Lightweight tournament will come out with the WBA (Super), IBF, WBC Interim, Ring, and lineal world titles.

Winner of the cruiserweight tournament right now only stands to get the WBO Interim title, as Usyk is the undisputed and lineal champion right now. But Usyk will likely move up to heavyweight soon and drop all his belts, so the final should probably be for one or more of them down the line.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist

famicommander

15 Year Member
Fantastic news. Hopefully he can continue to recover enough to live a relatively normal life with his new child.

Hell of a boxing day today.

DAZN, 7:00 PM Eastern:
Jamie Munguia vs. Takeshi Inoue, 12 rounds, for Munguia's WBO junior middleweight title
Jesus Rojas vs. Xu Can, 12 rounds, for Rojas' WBA "regular" featherweight title
Vergil Ortiz Jr. vs. Jesus Valdez, 10 rounds, junior welterweights
Alberto Melian vs. Edgar Ortega, 10 rounds, junior featherweights
Alex Rincon vs. Jeremy Ramos, 6 rounds, junior middleweights
George Rincon vs. Emmanuel Valdez, 6 rounds, junior welterweights
Rene Moreno vs. Daniel Vergara, 4 rounds, junior lightweights
Alex Santana vs. John Rincon, 4 rounds, lightweights

Starting at 6:00 PM Eastern on FS1 and continuing at 8:00 PM Eastern on Fox:
Keith Thurman vs. Josesito Lopez, 12 rounds, for Thurman's WBA (Super) welterweight title
Adam Kownacki vs. Gerald Washington, 10 rounds, heavyweights
Tugstsogt Nyambayar vs. Claudio Marrero, 12 rounds, for vacant IBO featherweight title and WBC featherweight title mandatory shot
Chris Colbert vs. Josh Hernandez, 8 rounds, junior lightweights
Gary Antuanne Russell vs. Roberto Almazan, 6 rounds, junior welterweights

famicommander

15 Year Member
Abner Mares has pulled out of the Tank Davis fight that was supposed to go down in a few weeks with an elbow injury. Hugo Ruiz will replace him.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Hell of a good card on ESPN (undercards ESPN+) on Saturday:

Eleider Alvarez vs. Sergey Kovalev, rematch, 12 rounds, for Alvarez's WBO light heavyweight title
Teofimo Lopez vs. Diego Magdaleno, 10 rounds, lightweights
Oscar Valdez vs. Carmine Tommasone, 12 rounds, for Valdez's WBO featherweight title
Richard Commey vs. Isa Chaniev, 12 rounds, for vacant IBF lightweight title
Patrick Day vs. Ismail Iliev, 10 rounds, junior middleweights
Bakhram Murtazaliev vs. Elvin Ayala, 10 rounds, junior middleweights
Enriko Gogokhia vs. Vitor Jones Freitas, 6 or 8 rounds, junior welterweights
Jason Sanchez vs. Daniel Olea, 8 rounds, featherweights
Janibek Alimkhanuly vs. Steven Martinez, 8 rounds, super middleweights

Commey vs Chaniev winner gets Lomachenko for a unification

Teofimo Lopez is one of the best prospects right now

Possibly Sergey Kovalev's last stand. He has to win this fight.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Abner Mares has pulled out of the Tank Davis fight that was supposed to go down in a few weeks with an elbow injury. Hugo Ruiz will replace him.

Fuck, I wanted him to get KTFO by Tank for that fight with all those low blows. Fuck Mares. He probably pulled out because he was scared and faked an injury.

I can't wait for the Canelo v Jacobs fight, as long as Danny keeps popping that jab and keeping Canelo back, he can pull out the win but if Canelo gets inside he needs to watch those uppercuts and rib shots.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Wilder vs Fury II looks like a go for April or May.

To win this fight, here is what I think each needs to do

Fury:
-come in even lighter
-stay on that back foot. it's clear that Fury can't hurt Wilder anyway so he just needs to potshot and move his way to a decision
-more uppercuts to counter Wilder's looping right hands

Wilder:
-Stay on the gas pedal. His corner told him he was way ahead even before the 12th round knockdown, when in reality without that knockdown he loses a UD.
-Don't headhunt with power shots so much. After the first knockdown he stopped fighting behind his jab. If you recall the Ortiz fight, it was actually a counter left hook on the inside that initially rocked Ortiz, not Wilder's trademark right hand bomb.
-Come into the fight heavier. Fury shouldn't have gotten up from that last knockdown. Wilder needs to be around 220.
-Get that cardio worked out. The first Fury fight was the first time I have ever seen Wilder gas out in a fight. Fury will likely be in even better shape this time, so Wilder needs to match and exceed that.

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
Surpised at how good Kovalev looked. Get him a unification fight immediately. Gvozdyk (WBC and lineal), Bivol (WBA), Beterbiev (IBF), and Fornling (IBO) have the other belts.

Commey destroyed Chaniev. He gets Lomachenko next to unify the WBA (Super), IBF, WBO, and Ring Magazine lightweight championships.

Teofimo Lopez is no longer a prospect. Contender, and a good one.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Gervonta Davis fought a punching bag last night. But those gloves have some serious explosive substance in them. He killed that guy with a few shots.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Yeah he sounds punchy wtf, he's just a kid. But there is a beast of a boxer in him, will follow his career

famicommander

15 Year Member
Davis needs to stop getting in trouble and stop putting on 25+ pounds in between fights.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Davis needs to stop getting in trouble and stop putting on 25+ pounds in between fights.

Definetly. Seems a little unhinged mentally. Can't be good hanging around with Broner that much. A Broner Davis fight would be great though. Broner looked a bit jealous when Davis won Saturday night

famicommander

15 Year Member
We got us another undisputed championship match on April 13, on Showtime:

WBC/WBA/IBF Women's World Middleweight Champion Claressa Shields vs WBO World Women's Middleweight Champion Christina Hammer

Hammer is the WBC's Champion in recess. Basically, she got hurt and missed a mandatory, so the WBC vacated her belt (which Shields then beat someone else for) but gave her an automatic title shot whenever she decided she was ready.

This is possibly the biggest women's boxing match of all time. Assuming there's a winner, that woman will join Bernard Hopkins, Jermain Taylor, Terrence Crawford, Oleksandr Usyk (current), and Cecilia Braekhus (current) as the only people in any weight class to unify the WBA/WBC/IBF/WBO titles.

I think Hammer wins this one. Shields is touted for her power but has never even scored a knockdown -- her only KOs were TKOs by ref stoppage due to punch accumulation. Hammer is the more skilled fighter, despite Shields' two consecutive Olympic gold medals.

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
Tyson Fury just signed a co-promotional deal with Top Rank (Bob Arum) and ESPN.

This had better not fuck up the Wilder rematch, because Wilder is still locked up with PBC (Al Haymon) and Showtime long term.