Boxing thread

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
No matter how hard a banger can punch, they will eventually come up against a guy who can actually box and move, and when that happen's they will be found out.
Wilder is not the second coming, he's got dynamite in his hand's but i think he'll struggle to catch joshua, the difference in class is like trying to compare chess to draughts.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
No matter how hard a banger can punch, they will eventually come up against a guy who can actually box and move, and when that happen's they will be found out.
Wilder is not the second coming, he's got dynamite in his hand's but i think he'll struggle to catch joshua, the difference in class is like trying to compare chess to draughts.

Joshua is immobile. Wilder will still land on him.

But with a Fury rematch coming down the pipe it'll be years before we get Joshua vs Wilder, if ever. And if Fury wins the Wilder rematch, Joshua will duck him, too.

Ortiz is a much more skilled fighter than Joshua and Wilder eventually landed on him. Doesn't mean Ortiz could beat Joshua necessarily, but in terms of defensive ability it's no contest.

Fury is a unique beast.

Last edited:

cat

Then why didn't Fury land any punches? Obviously he's way more skilled but he didn't land shit. They landed a similar amount of punches but Wilder scored two knockdowns.

All about opinions i saw the fight with no bias as i don't rate either of them, but fury landed plenty of clean jabs and was the stronger in the clinch, wilder can spark a guy out with one shot no arguing there but sometimes these guys get back up fami.

famicommander

15 Year Member
All about opinions i saw the fight with no bias as i don't rate either of them, but fury landed plenty of clean jabs and was the stronger in the clinch, wilder can spark a guy out with one shot no arguing there but sometimes these guys get back up fami.

But you score a knockdown round 10-8. Even though Fury got up, those are big Wilder rounds. For the fight to be a draw with 2 10-8 rounds you only have to find 3 other Wilder rounds. 4 other Wilder rounds is a win.

Even people here who didn't predict a Wilder win saw it as a Wilder fight, like DevilRedeemed.

I saw it 6-6 but the 10-8 rounds make it a Wilder fight. But I could see a draw too, because as i said, the early rounds were hard to score.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
But you score a knockdown round 10-8. Even though Fury got up, those are big Wilder rounds. For the fight to be a draw with 2 10-8 rounds you only have to find 3 other Wilder rounds. 4 other Wilder rounds is a win.

Even people here who didn't predict a Wilder win saw it as a Wilder fight, like DevilRedeemed.

I saw it 6-6 but the 10-8 rounds make it a Wilder fight. But I could see a draw too, because as i said, the early rounds were hard to score.

I agree. Knockdowns - ones where the opponent has been practically KOed have the importance to win a fight as long as it isn't a completely lopsided affair.

I had Fury winning but not by much at all, and then came the knowdowns.

Wilder's jab was less effective but it wasn't useless, and he worked the distance in much of the fight.
And I also feel Joshua would be in trouble v Wilder (not that he would lose, but maybe) that Fury has a particular way of fighting, a bob and weave which is very difficult to fight against at heavyweight.

Last edited:

cat

Well it's an interesting division at the moment to be sure, boxing can split opinions like no other sport so although i may not agree with all the comments posted in the thread i do respect other peoples opinions, here's to the rematch when it happen's guy's.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Well it's an interesting division at the moment to be sure, boxing can split opinions like no other sport so although i may not agree with all the comments posted in the thread i do respect other peoples opinions, here's to the rematch when it happen's guy's.

I'm personally not that interested in a rematch and I got the feeling that neither boxer where really that hungry for it, at least right after the fight, especially Fury who's mind/ambition seemed elsewhere (they made a nice amount of money, maybe he was thinking about enjoying it a little, said he hadn't seen his family in weeks).

Whatever happened in this fight, Canelo Golovkin II was a lot more tremendous and somewhat divisive. I'm still somewhat miffed about that fight (the first one was too tense for me to enjoy and plus brought about a draw)

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
AJ is overrated as fuck. How some experts call him the next Tyson is a fucking insult.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
zvsoxc.jpg

cat

AJ is overrated as fuck. How some experts call him the next Tyson is a fucking insult.
He's no iron mike xian, just the best of a bad bunch, in my opinion of course.
We can all lament about the old day's but we're stuck with what we got at the moment, i've said it before on this thread, gone are the day's when you could whistle into an american boxing gym and call out a half dozen class heavyweights, and the division is all the poorer for it.
I was around to see larry holmes in his prime and he'd have creamed the guy's around now, what a fighter he was, the premier division in boxing is not what it was and unfortunately won't be for some time.

Last edited:

Lee_Rekka

Mr. Big's Thug
We can all lament about the old day's but we're stuck with what we got at the moment, i've said it before on this thread, gone are the day's when you could whistle into an american boxing gym and call out a half dozen class heavyweights, and the division is all the poorer for it.
I was around to see larry holmes in his prime and he'd have creamed the guy's around now, what a fighter he was, the premier division in boxing is not what it was and unfortunately won't be for some time.

This man speaks the truth.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Huge boxing day tomorrow.

DAZN, 2:00 PM ET Saturday:
Kell Brook vs. Michael Zerafa, 12 rounds, WBA junior middleweight eliminator
Jono Carroll vs. Guillaume Frenois, 12 rounds, IBF junior lightweight eliminator
Josh Kelly vs. David Avanesyan, 10 rounds, welterweights
Kid Galahad vs. Brayan Mairena, 8 rounds, featherweights
Anthony Fowler vs. Jose Carlos Paz, 10 rounds, junior middleweights
Qais Ashfaq vs. Jay Carney, 6 rounds, junior featherweights
Anthony Tomlinson vs. Innocent Anyanwu, 6 rounds, welterweights
Callum Hancock vs. Ivan Nikolov, 4 rounds, super middleweights
Terri Harper vs. Feriche Mashauri, 6 rounds, female lightweights
Shakiel Thompson vs. Konstantin Alexandrov, 4 rounds, middleweights

ESPN, 9:00 PM ET (6:00 PM ET undercards on ESPN+)
Vasiliy Lomachenko vs. Jose Pedraza, 12 rounds, WBA/WBO lightweight unification
Isaac Dogboe vs. Emanuel Navarrete, 12 rounds, for Dogboe's WBO junior featherweight title
Teofimo Lopez Jr. vs. Mason Menard, 10 rounds, lightweights
Alexander Besputin vs. Juan Carlos Abreu, 10 rounds, welterweights
Josue Vargas vs. John Renteria, 8 rounds, junior welterweights
Michael Perez vs. Abdiel Ramirez, 8 rounds, lightweights
Guido Vianello vs. Luke Lyons, 6 rounds, heavyweights
Brian Ceballo vs. Daniel Calzada, 4 or 6 rounds, welterweights

HBO, 10:20 PM ET (final HBO boxing card ever)
Cecilia Braekhus vs. Aleksandra Magdziak-Lopes, 10 rounds, for Braekhus' Undisputed WBC/WBO/IBF/WBA/IBO women's welterweight title
Juan Francisco Estrada vs. Victor Mendez, 10 rounds, junior bantamweights
Claressa Shields vs. Fenke Hermans, 10 rounds, for Shields' IBF/WBA/WBC women's middleweight title

I'm hoping the Lomachenko fight is over before the Braekhus fight starts.

Braekhus is amazing:
#1 Ring P4P Female fighter
24-0-0-0 in World Title fights
34-0-0-0 overall
Unified champion since March 2009
Four belt undisputed champion since September 2014
Five belt undisputed champion since February 2016
Most title defenses for any four belt undisputed champion ever (the others were Bernard Hopkins, Jermain Taylor, Terence Crawford, and presently Oleksandr Usyk)
Most wins for any undefeated female champion ever
Longest reigning female champion ever

teaserbox_954406328.jpg

Her belts left to right: IBF, IBO, WBC (around her shoulder), WBO (around her waist), WBA, Ring Pound for Pound

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

Holmes was a warrior, dude even fought Tyson in his prime. And I agree, he would just destroy if he was in his prime today. He would make Wilder look silly like how Floyd did to Canelo.

This weekend I'll probably only watch the PBK and Loma fights, I'd love to see them two fight one day as well.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Don't sleep on Isaac Dogboe. I think he's the goods.

I'm too young to have seen Holmes fight in his prime. I remember he fought some bums when I was 8-12 but I was like 5 the last time he fought for a title (McCall).

The best fighters I saw fight live (on PPV or TV, not in person) at heavyweight were Lennox Lewis, the Klitschko brothers, Evander Holyfield, and Hasim Rahman. I remember watching Mike Tyson and Riddick Bowe but they were already way past their primes.

Of course I've gone back to watch a lot of old fights (my favorites are Frazier and Foreman) but it's not the same.

I don't think Joshua, Wilder, or Fury would beat prime Lewis or either of the Klitschkos in their primes. They might be simply too big for Holyfield or Rahman, though.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Dogboe got his lunch money taken yesterday. Didn't see that one coming.

The rest of the fights went about as predicted.

Braekhus is on a different level from any other female fighter right now. She didn't lose a single round.

Shields is pretty good but I feel like Hammer will out box her when that fight finally happens. We should have gotten it already but Hammer got really sick.

Estrada is still rock solid. He just can't beat Sor Rungvisai.

And Lomachenko easily beat Pedraza, but he looked vulnerable at times. He was not able to cut off the ring as well as he normally does. I really don't think Lomachenko could beat Mikey, but we may not find out with Mikey jumping two weight classes up.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Oh and Teofimo Lopez... that kid is ready for the big fights.

famicommander

15 Year Member
So Richard Commey and Isa Chaniev are fighting on February 2nd for the IBF Lightweight championship.

This is the belt that Mikey Garcia had to vacate to move up to fight Errol Spence Jr.

Both fighters have already agreed to fight Lomachenko at some point in 2019 (possibly April 12, which is when Lomachenko is fighting next).

So the lightweight title scene looks like this
WBC: Mikey Garcia
IBF: Commey/Chaniev winner
WBA: Vasyl Lomachenko
WBO: Vasyl Lomachenko
Ring: Vasyl Lomachenko
IBO: vacant
lineal: vacant

So it looks like Lomachenko is trying to become undisputed. He may or may not care about the IBO.

He'll wreck the IBF title winner, that's not a concern.

So it comes down to Mikey.

If Mikey loses to Spence, he'll likely come back down to lightweight and take the Lomachenko fight. It would be for all the belts and the lineal title.

But if Mikey wins, you have to imagine he'll stay at welterweight and chase the big fish in the division like Thurman, Crawford, Pacquiao, Porter, Danny Garcia, etc. So he'd eventually have to vacate his WBC lightweight title, and Lomachenko would then fight someone else for the vacant belt and lineal title.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Canelo fighting a bum for a fake title tonight, but there are some decent scraps on the card:
Rocky Fielding vs. Canelo Alvarez, 12 rounds, for Fielding's WBA "regular" super middleweight title
Sadam Ali vs. Mauricio Herrera, 10 rounds, welterweights
Vergil Ortiz Jr. vs. Omar Tienda, 10 rounds, junior welterweights
Tevin Farmer vs. Francisco Fonseca,12 rounds, for Farmer's IBF junior lightweight title
Katie Taylor vs. Eva Wahlstrom, 10 rounds, for Taylor's IBF/WBA women's lightweight title
Ryan Garcia vs. Braulio Rodriguez, 10 rounds, lightweights
Lamont Roach Jr. vs. Alberto Mercado, 10 rounds, junior lightweights
Yves Ulysse Jr. vs. Maximiliano Becerra, 8 rounds, junior welterweights
Bilal Akkawy vs. Victor Fonseca, 10 rounds, super middleweights

David Lemieux vs. Tureano Johnson was also on the card but it was cancelled after Lemieux ended up hospitalized for dehydration trying to cut weight.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Rocky better use that height advantage to full effect tonight. If he gets knocked out, he's gonna be ridiculed.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I'll be shocked if fielding goes 12. Bigger or not, he's simply outclassed.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
I don't think I've ever seen a "world" champion so happy to lose. All smiles when he got dropped with those body shots, smiles when he got up, smiles when the ref ended it in the 3rd.

Tomato can posing as a champ. The vast proliferation of belts has seen to that.