Boxing thread

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Good fight announced for May 11.

Unifed WBA (Super)/IBF/IBO world super welterweight champion Jarrett Hurd vs Julian Williams

Williams is ranked #8 at BoxRec, #7 at TBRB, #8 at the Ring, #4 by the WBA, #1 by the IBF, #2 by the WBO, and #6 by the IBO.

Hurd wants all the belts but De La Hoya keeps setting up patsies for WBO champion Jamie Munguia and the WBC belt is tied up in an immediate rematch clause after Tony Harrison won a controversial split decision over Jermell Charlo.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Bob Arum says no Fury vs Wilder rematch or Fury vs Joshua until February 2020 at the earliest.

You can always count on that old bastard Arum to ruin a good thing.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Oleksandr Usyk has vacated his WBA (Super) Cruiserweight title.

He is now definitively a heavyweight, so he will soon vacate his WBC, WBO, IBF, Ring, and lineal cruiserweight titles.

That just leaves Cecilia Braekhus as the only undisputed champion in any division (women's welterweight in her case).

Christina Hammer vs Claressa Shields will be an undisputed middleweight title fight in a few weeks, though.

And Katie Taylor vs Delfine Persoon is also in final talks for an undisputed lightweight title fight.

So the female champions are willing to fight each other and unify all the belts, at least.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Oleksandr Gvozdyk defends his WBC and lineal light heavyweight championship tonight on ESPN vs. Doudou Ngumbu.

This is Gvozdyk's first fight since he won the title, when he beat Adonis Stevenson into a coma and nearly killed him. We'll see if Gvozdyk's head is in the right place for this fight.

Also, the opponent's name is doudou. hee hee.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Lomachenko fighting Crolla tonight. Loma should waste Crolla; he's not on the same level. But he earned a mandatory shot, so Loma has to fight him.

Tomorrow is the biggest women's boxing match in history, Shields vs Hammer.

I'll take Hammer by UD.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Shields looked like an entirely different fighter against Hammer. Her punches were shorter and sharper, her footwork was better, she moved forward behind her jab. She easily won the fight, which I did not expect at all.

I still need to watch the other fights from yesterday. Was busy watching NHL/NBA playoffs.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Caught up on the weekend.

Hogan got ROBBED against Munguia. Another fuckin' Golden Boy card where the De La Hoya fighter got an extremely bad decision in his favor. Hogan should be world champion right now. He went into Munguia's hometown in Mexico and took the fight to him.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Jarrell Miller just tested positive for PEDs.

In all likelihood that means he just blew his shot at WBA (Super)/IBF/IBO/WBO Heavyweight Champion Anthony Joshua this June.

We'll see who Joshua fights instead.

Wilder is fighting a mandatory challenger and Fury is fighting a total bum.

If he wants a real contender his main options would be Luis Ortiz or Dillian Whyte.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Terence Crawford vs Amir Khan tomorrow. Khan has skills and handspeed but his jaw is glass. He's getting wrecked by Crawforod.

On the undercard is Teofimo Lopez, one of the better prospects going.

Also Danny Garcia fighting on Fox. Should be a decent scrap.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
Khan can dress it up all he wants, but he just plain quit. Can't see where he goes from here.

Crawford up against Spence. That has to be made.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Khan can dress it up all he wants, but he just plain quit. Can't see where he goes from here.

Crawford up against Spence. That has to be made.

Khan's gonna go back to the UK and fight Kell Brook to see which one of them is more shot.

Those announcers are drinking the Shakur Stevenson kool aid pretty hard.

He looked good, but I don't think he's ready to fuck with Leo Santa Cruz like Tim Bradley and Andre Ward were saying.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Big lineal title rematch tonight.

Srisaket Sor Rungvisai vs Juan Francisco Estrada II, for Rungvisai's WBC, Ring, and lineal super flyweight world championship

The first fight was a classic, this one should be great too.

Undercard has Danny Roman vs TJ Doheny in a WBA and IBF super bantamweight world title unification

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
Big lineal title rematch tonight.

Srisaket Sor Rungvisai vs Juan Francisco Estrada II, for Rungvisai's WBC, Ring, and lineal super flyweight world championship

The first fight was a classic, this one should be great too.

Undercard has Danny Roman vs TJ Doheny in a WBA and IBF super bantamweight world title unification

Famicommander,
Tickets for this card were available for free, sadly I can't make it.
Boxing on a Friday evening seems like a hard sell in Los Angeles.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Unexpected result. Estrada boxed circles around Rungvisai.

Some good stuff tonight, too. On DAZN:
Kiryl Relikh vs. Regis Prograis, 12 rounds, for Relikh's WBA (Super) and Prograis' WBC Interim Super Lightweight titles, World Boxing Super Series semifinals
Nonito Donaire vs. Stephon Young, 12 rounds, for Donaire's WBA (Super) bantamweight title, World Boxing Super Series semifinals

And on Showtime:
Robert Easter Jr vs Rances Barthelemy for vacant WBA (Regular) and IBO world lightweight titles
Mohamed Mimoune vs Victor Postol for Mimoume's IBO world superlightweight title; also WBC world title eliminator

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
dfK144P.gif

ggfeaGW.gif

Sleepy time for Stephon Young.

Donaire is a beast. I expect Inoue to dispatch Rodriguez to meet Donaire in the finals. Should be a good one. Young phenom versus the crafty veteran.

Prograis was on another level too:
19SyDxs.gif

VZXKEwp.gif

Easter vs Barthelemy ended in a boring ass split draw, both belts still vacant.
Postol dominated Mimoune, but it wasn't actually an IBO title fight since it was only a 10 rounder (title fights are 12). Postol does get the WBC mandatory position, though

famicommander

15 Year Member
Canelo vs Danny Jacobs this weekend.

If anybody besides Golovkin is going to beat Canelo at middleweight any time soon, Jacobs is the guy.

He has to knock Canelo out. The Golovkin fights prove that you can't beat Canelo on the scorecards (unless you're Floyd, and even then they tried to hose him).

Jacobs, in my opinion, came closer to beating Golovkin than Canelo did in either fight. He has power, but not Golovkin's power. The advantage Jacobs does have is that he is taller and has better reach than Canelo. Whereas Golovkin had to eat a jab to get close enough to hit Canelo, Jacobs can hit Canelo from distance.

It should be a great fight. I am rooting for Jacobs but Canelo is a hard man to knock out.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I agree. Jacobs has the tools to beat Canelo easy. I hope he stays disciplined in the fight and doesn’t give Canelo too much respect in the beginning like he did with GGG, if he didn’t do that with GGG, he would have won on the scorecards but he was just giving rounds away.

And for some fucking reason, I heard Byrd is a judge again?!

famicommander

15 Year Member
I agree. Jacobs has the tools to beat Canelo easy. I hope he stays disciplined in the fight and doesn’t give Canelo too much respect in the beginning like he did with GGG, if he didn’t do that with GGG, he would have won on the scorecards but he was just giving rounds away.

And for some fucking reason, I heard Byrd is a judge again?!

Byrd never stopped being a judge. She will not be a judge in this fight, though. She was in the initial pool of potential judges but the Jacobs camp opposed her.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Adonis Stevenson is now able to spend weekends at home and is able to walk, have full conversations, and feed himself.

He still spends 5 days a week doing physical therapy and rehab in the hospital and he has a ways to go, but it's pretty amazing he has even progressed this far. There was doubt he would ever regain consciousness; 3 weeks in a coma.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Fair decision for Canelo vs Jacobs last night. Canelo just keeps on getting better.

I don't know if Golovkin at 38 can beat him again this fall, and even if he can we all know he can't actually win a decision. So I don't think Canelo can lose to anybody at 160 right now.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Jacobs done a decent job though. Was impressed. I'm sure he watched the Mayweather Alvarez fight intensely to see how to work it. Canelo will meet a worthwhile adversary eventually who will stop him in his tracks. At least test that chin properly

famicommander

15 Year Member
Canelo's chin has been tested. Golovkin hit him clean, Jacobs hit him clean, Cotto hit him clean, and Mosley hit him clean. Canelo stood up to it every time. I hate him but you can't knock his ability to take a punch.

I think if he moves up in weight to 168 permanently or 175 he could be beaten. But he has essentially cleaned out 160. I'll watch the Golovkin trilogy fight for sure but I think GGG's best performance is behind him already. And the other belt holder, Andrade, won't beat any of the top 3 of Canelo, Golovkin, or Jacobs.