Boxing thread

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
Ok well that didn't go too long. lol

Clean right hand that would've knocked a building down. Wilder was hurt before that though. Less than a round but exciting stuff.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Hopefully Fury and Joshua stop ducking and we get one of those two fights next.

If not, then an Ortiz rematch or Dillian Whyte would be the only decent options.

famicommander

15 Year Member
e4JKcWu.gif

famicommander

15 Year Member
Masayuki Ito fighting on ESPN next Saturday. One of the most high volume punchers going today. Should be entertaining.

Last edited:

blakeb8111

Edo Express Delivery Guy
That’s a great shot of the knockout. Kinda reminds me of sergio Martinez’s knockout of Paul Williams

famicommander

15 Year Member
Wilder vs Ortiz II is happening.

Like I said earlier, this is the best fight that can happen that doesn't involve Joshua or Fury. So good on Wilder for fighting live bodies while he waits on them instead of fighting a bunch of patsies like Fury.

The first fight was one of the top three fights of 2018, maybe the best. But Ortiz is another year older and the fight ended pretty brutally for him last time.

Last time it was Wilder by KO in 10. I could see Wilder by KO in 5 this time.

But Ortiz has enough power to put down anyone if he catches them cleanly, so anything can happen.

This may be Ortiz's last shot at a world title.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Deontay Wilder announced today that the Fury rematch is already signed, and will take place next as long as Wilder beats Luis Ortiz.

So Wilder's last five opponents will have been
Tyson Fury (voluntary)
Luis Ortiz (voluntary)
Dominic Breazeale (mandatory)
Tyson Fury (voluntary)
Luis Ortiz (voluntary)

It's not often that a fighter takes on harder voluntary fights than mandatory fights. Wilder should be commended for taking a risk in fighting Ortiz again with a much bigger payday on the line in the Fury rematch.

And this explains why Fury is fighting 3 bums for Bob Arum. He's not risking shit.

This also confirms that neither of them are fighting Joshua any time soon.

The top four are Fury, Wilder, Joshua, and Ortiz and three are tied up fighting each other leaving Joshua to fight more bums.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Big fight day.

ESPN+, starting at 3:00 PM Eastern:
Jay Harris vs. Angel Moreno, 12 rounds, for vacant European flyweight title
Craig Evans vs. Stephen Ormond, rematch, 12 rounds, lightweights
Kieran Gething vs. Craig Woodruff, 10 rounds, junior welterweights

DAZN, prelims starting at 5:30 PM Eastern, main card at 8:30 PM Eastern:
Title fight: Anthony Joshua vs. Andy Ruiz Jr., 12 rounds, for Joshua's IBF/WBA/WBO/IBO heavyweight title
Title fight: Callum Smith vs. Hassan N'Dam, 12 rounds, for Smith's WBA/Ring super middleweight title
Title fight: Katie Taylor vs. Delfine Persoon, 10 rounds, undisputed WBA/WBO/IBF/WBC/Ring/lineal women's lightweight unification
Chris Algieri vs. Tommy Coyle, 10 rounds, junior welterweights
Josh Kelly vs. Ray Robinson, 10 rounds, welterweights
Joshua Buatsi vs. Marco Antonio Periban, 10 rounds, light heavyweights
Souleymane Cissokho vs. Vladimir Hernandez, 10 rounds, junior middleweights
Diego Pacheco vs. Jared Chauvin, 4 rounds, middleweights
Austin Williams vs. Quadeer Jenkins, 4 rounds, middleweights

Prelims at 6:00 PM Eastern on FS2, main card at 8:00 PM Eastern on FS1:
Devon Alexander vs. Ivan Redkach, 10 rounds, welterweights
Hugo Centeno Jr. vs. Willie Monroe Jr., 10 rounds, middleweights
Onoriode Ehwarieme vs. Rodney Hernandez, 8 rounds, heavyweights
Jhack Tepora vs. Jose Luis Gallegos, 10 rounds, featherweights
Marlon Tapales vs. Roberto Castaneda, 10 rounds, junior featherweights
Jose Balderas vs. Julio Garcia, 4 rounds, bantamweights
Anthony Chavez vs. Mike Fowler, 4 rounds, junior lightweights
Justin Cardona vs. TBA, 4 rounds, junior welterweights
Francisco Ochoa vs. Jesus Aguinaga, 8 rounds, featherweights
John Leo Dato vs. German Meraz, 8 rounds, featherweights
Jose Perez vs. Mario Ayala, 6 rounds, featherweights
Viktor Slavinski vs. Ernest Guerrero, 8 rounds, junior lightweights
Aaron Morales vs. Robert Pucheta, 6 rounds, bantamweights
Robert Rodriguez vs. Jose Rodriguez, 4 rounds, bantamweights
Shon Mondragon vs. Jose Naranjo, 6 rounds, junior featherweights

famicommander

15 Year Member
Delfine Persoon just got ROBBED against Katie Taylor.

I had that fight 97-93 Persoon.

Scorecards went 96-94 X2 for Taylor, and 95-95.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
Credit to Ruiz but if there was some doubt over Joshua's chin in the past, there's a huge question mark there now.

No way he takes the shots of a Deontay Wilder.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Credit to Ruiz but if there was some doubt over Joshua's chin in the past, there's a huge question mark there now.

No way he takes the shots of a Deontay Wilder.

Ruiz has speed and a kind of body shape that makes it hard for taller fighters with greater reach. Kind of like Tyson, when on the inside he can kill.
Against Deontray this just wouldn't happen. Neither are super skilled, Joshua's defense is weak

famicommander

15 Year Member
Joshua will probably win the rematch in all honesty.

All he really did out there was lose himself a shitload of money in a potential unification with Wilder or Fury down the line.

I bet Joshua feels really stupid right about now for turning down that 50 million dollar+ payday to fight Wilder.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Finally, the most overrated boxer of recent times is exposed.

I don't think the kid is overrated. I think he's a great boxer. Probably thought Ruiz was going to be a push over and came in over confident. The same thing happened to Lewis when he fought Rahman and Lewis got knocked the fuck out.

The Rematch will be much different.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
I don't think the kid is overrated. I think he's a great boxer. Probably thought Ruiz was going to be a push over and came in over confident. The same thing happened to Lewis when he fought Rahman and Lewis got knocked the fuck out.

The Rematch will be much different.

I don't think he was over confident. He himself had talked about the first Lewis Rahman fight and how he would guard against something like that happening to him. But he still got beat.

Yeah his intentions for the rematch will be different. He'll most likely try and consistently keep Ruiz at the end of the jab and keep the distance. Whether that works or not remains to be seen.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Rahman vs Lewis may have been a huge upset but Rahman himself is still considered to have been a great fighter in his own right. He challenged for three more heavyweight titles after Lewis beat him in the rematch, and won the title once more.

Nobody considers Ruiz a great fighter. He was 8-10 pounds over his normal fighting weight and he just fought this previous April. He had no business even being here, let alone winning this fight.

Even Buster Douglas had a better resume before he knocked out Tyson.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Rahman vs Lewis may have been a huge upset but Rahman himself is still considered to have been a great fighter in his own right. He challenged for three more heavyweight titles after Lewis beat him in the rematch, and won the title once more.

Nobody considers Ruiz a great fighter. He was 8-10 pounds over his normal fighting weight and he just fought this previous April. He had no business even being here, let alone winning this fight.

Even Buster Douglas had a better resume before he knocked out Tyson.

That's.a bit unfair though. He actually fought a great fight last night. Wasn't a lucky punch that ended ir all. Getting up from a knockdown to do what he did shows resolve, templance, conditioning and boxing pedegree. For what last night's performance is worth, that was no bum.
First mexican to ever win a heavyweight title.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I don't consider Ruiz a chump. The kid obviously has power backed by a ton of heart but all Joshua had to do was use his long jab to keep him at bay. You never want to go punch for punch with a heavy hitter. It's fun to watch for sure but when you do that, It never ends well. I guarantee the rematch will be much different.

Tyson was much quicker and more powerful. I get the comparison but Ruiz is no Tyson.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
That's.a bit unfair though. He actually fought a great fight last night. Wasn't a lucky punch that ended ir all. Getting up from a knockdown to do what he did shows resolve, templance, conditioning and boxing pedegree. For what last night's performance is worth, that was no bum.

Right. And after he got decked he didn't try to back off or to hold, he let his hands go. He came to fight. Joshua couldn't absorb that pressure. He may look like your middle age neighbor dieting on pizza, but the guy has heart and can fight.

famicommander

15 Year Member

I didn't say he was a bum but Ruiz had no significant wins prior to this.

His best opponent was Joe Parker, who beat him. Parker was easily outpointed by Joshua and put on the canvas by Dillian Whyte. The last two guys Ruiz beat had a combined 18 losses and zero good wins.

He was ranked lower than Breazeale coming into this fight.