The King of Fighters '97 Global Match PC/PS4/Vita

What do they mean, rollback?

Here's a quote from the developer explaining it:

"In a rollback game, the game forges ahead without having received your opponent's inputs. It "guesses" at what they're going to do. If it guessed wrong, it doesn't learn until a bit later because it took a while for their inputs to get to you (due to latency). That's where the "rollback" part of the algorithm kicks in: it goes back and corrects the guess, but since it's now a few frames later after the missed action started, it needs to catch up, so you miss the first few frames of the opponent's animation."

Currently the game lets you choose how to manage the latency as either pure rollback or a mix between rollback and input delay. There's a more elaborate discussion in the link I provided but the bottom line is you can have playable matches in the 100-200 ping range something that wasn't really possible using the previous netcode. It's the same tech that's used with GGPO & Fightcade.

Last edited:

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Ok I understand this concept already, it is not a new thing but I had not heard of that term used before. I know it better as being "Server Authoritative" which is a netcode method used by id Software at least since Quake 3.

However, I do know that it is possible to "game" the authoritative model, at least in Quake 3. If you have enough time (experience) and know the game well enough you can actually get hits (hit targets/kills) at near 300 ping by shooting ahead... like "leading the receiver" meaning it is possible to shoot a wall on your screen, but the server registers a hit on a player, and the player dies on his screen, and on your screen you get a kill notification. This happens because by the time the server corrects for the lag issue, the player is in the place you had shot, even though this arrangement was not represented on either of the clients.

I am not certain how this "exploit" could be used in a fighting game.

Last edited:
I don't see how you could get to exploit that in a KOF game but with a ping of 300 you won't be able to find someone to play with anyways. Most players turn down the match at a ping in the mid 200s.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
The game got the rollback netcode update on PS4. I got one match in with someone with 220m/s ping while I used 4 frame delay. It was quite playable. The variable lag doesn't move around like crazy a la some Capcom titles. Might eventually play around with the fixed lag setup to see what that plays like.