The King of Fighters '97 Global Match PC/PS4/Vita

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
 SNKは本日(2018年1月28日),東京・秋葉原で開催されている「EVO Japan 2018」決勝戦の会場にて,「THE KING OF FIGHTERS'97 GLOBAL MATCH」を発表した。移植タイトルだが,オンライン対戦機能を新たに搭載,対応プラットフォームはPC/PS4/PS Vitaで,2018年春に発売予定だ。
---
SNK announced "THE KING OF FIGHTERS '97 GLOBAL MATCH" today at the venue of "EVO Japan 2018" finals held in Akihabara, Tokyo. Although it is a transplant title, it has an online matchup function newly, the corresponding platform is PC / PS 4 / PS Vita, and it is going to be released in the spring of 2018.

http://www.4gamer.net/games/408/G040815/20180128009/

-SD-

Camel Slug
Yeah, I’d have thought ‘98 would be a more likely candidate, being the ‘fan favourite’ and all that.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Why 97 though?

Probably they originally planned a 2017 release and thought a 20th anniversary was a good idea.

TBH it's kind of nice seeing something different besides another KOF98 rerelease, even though it's the better game.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I really can't stand '97 the colours are wack, the stages aren't drawn properly and the story is rubbish but at least Shermie get's some screen time right?

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
97 is great and all, but if its just another straight port with some matchmaking, I'm going to pass.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
97 is great and all, but if its just another straight port with some matchmaking, I'm going to pass.

I'm pretty sick of this emulation jobs myself. How hard is it really to take these games, support widescreen and add the neo cd sound tracks? Would be nice to see new menus too.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
KOF '97 is prefered in China. I don't think this was made worring about what the westerners want. Saying that I wonder if they are really worried about the netcode since the internet is way better in the east. I'll probably pick it up eventually, but betting it will be a waste of money since Garou barely has anyone playing it western wise let alone SSVS and LB2.

Dr. Meat

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
I'm pretty sick of this emulation jobs myself. How hard is it really to take these games, support widescreen and add the neo cd sound tracks? Would be nice to see new menus too.

NGCD soundtracks as an option would be great. It'd at least show a bit more effort than charging for an emulator.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I agree with the criticism of cheap release tactics in regards to remakes. We can only dream about such great past efforts like the GC version of Resident Evil, Conker: Live & -Reloaded on the first Xbox or the Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy for the PS4.

Dr. Meat

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
I agree with the criticism of cheap release tactics in regards to remakes. We can only dream about such great past efforts like the GC version of Resident Evil, Conker: Live & -Reloaded on the first Xbox or the Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy for the PS4.

I don't know if there's anything that could be done to that extent with NG games. I really hated the way Street Fighter 2 HD looked. That sort of hand drawn upscale job just wouldn't look good. I'd say if SNK is going to pour those kinds of resources into a game that they should make proper 2D, hand animated new entries into their franchises. In SD. But I kind of doubt that would have much appeal outside of communities like this.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Honestly the PS4 versions of LB2, Garou, and SSVS were well made except for no cd soundtracks. You can play arcade mode while playing games, and an unlockable gallery were nice touches. Compare that to the Metal Slug games released on Steam they're way better.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
I don't know if there's anything that could be done to that extent with NG games. I really hated the way Street Fighter 2 HD looked. That sort of hand drawn upscale job just wouldn't look good. I'd say if SNK is going to pour those kinds of resources into a game that they should make proper 2D, hand animated new entries into their franchises. In SD. But I kind of doubt that would have much appeal outside of communities like this.

i'm on the same boat. i'm not a fan of sf2 hd remix. that udon art stile just looked like a shitty overlay effect you get in emulators. who thought it was a good idea to replace it with the beautiful og graphics?.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Legend of Success Joe > 96

And any other game you might think to respond with.

I might be the only one here but I actually like Legend of Success Joe, it's quite honestly the best game on the Neo.

lordnikon

Another Striker
This just hit on the PC recently. I think KOF 98 Ultimate Match and KOF 2002 Unlimited Match were great releases for the enhancements they made. I own them both on the Playstation 2.

97 Global Match seems oddly placed, and the middling reviews on Steam reflect that. It was neat to see that this exists, but there are too many cash grab emulation releases that pay poor homage to the originals. M2, who did many of the later Sega Ages 2500 series releases for Sega on PS2, really showed what a classic re-release should look like. Their releases had every resolution mode under the sun, from 240p to 480i to 480p, even with emulated scanline overlays. They are of Archival quality with their versaility and presentation. I wish the Neo-Geo could get this level of treatment. maybe 98 Ultimate/2002 Unlimited is the closest we will get in that regard.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I really can't stand '97 the colours are wack, the stages aren't drawn properly and the story is rubbish but at least Shermie get's some screen time right?

I really like 97 but I hate the decision to have only one round per fight have music, fuck that was dumb. One of the best things about KOF is the catchy music

Code Mystics recently added a rollback netcode to the Steam version of the game; they did so using their own time and were not compensated by SNK for doing this:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/702120/discussions/0/1696043806570235127/

Please consider showing your support in the thread above if you want other SNK games to feature a rollback netcode, as Code Mystics said they would forward this feedback to SNK to make the case for potentially upgrading the netcode of their other SNK ports and/or future projects.

The game plays really well now, had some good matches with users in the 100-200 ping range. If you have the game feel free to add me; steam ID is izumixpanda. Not on the competitive level but up for some good casual matches when I'm on.

Edit: They also just added the Team Endings to gallery mode as of yesterday.

Last edited: