Samurai Showdown II is the best NEO•GEO game

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
The pacing, the tension, the SUSPENSE when you have two skilled players down to your last bit of health... man it’s fucking killer... Cham-Cham is my waifu 100%

Some of the later samurai games suck... they got rid my beloved waifu...

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
SamSho2 is legit, but I don't think any single game from the neo library can be considered the best.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
It's my favorite of the series.

One of my favorite on the system.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
It's a damn great game, That's for sure. It was Super Sidekicks and Samsho II that made me fall in love with the Neo.

Is it the best game on the Neo? Maybe. I've probably played Samsho II and III more than any other game on the Neo.

Last edited:

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
The best, I don't know.
But I love this game too, good sprite and graphics. I like playing with Gen-An (disappeared after :crying:)

MetalSludge

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
Admittedly it's one of my go-tos that I can engage with for extended play pretty easily.

The best? I don't know. I'm a shmup person and have some respect for the shooter efforts on the system. I have seen groups have a blast yucking it up while playing Turf Masters. And I can play speedy rounds of Magical Drop III compulsively for a while. So perhaps The Best depends on the moment and the mood.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Interesting... during Neo's lifetime, I could certainly agree to it. It's one of the the most original games made by SNK, it surpassed its predecessor on many levels, has tons of secrets and ports don't even touch the source material. It's also very affordable to this day. If one puts personal preferences aside, "The Best" doesn't seem unrealistic.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
If you're going to pick the best on the system, Samurai 2 is not a bad choice. This game, as well as the first one, may be the most responsible for attracting me to the Neo.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The pacing, the tension, the SUSPENSE when you have two skilled players down to your last bit of health... man it’s fucking killer... Cham-Cham is my waifu 100%

Some of the later samurai games suck... they got rid my beloved waifu...

fuck off HP man. you're a poor man's Skullz.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i personally think all the samurai shodowns are great. but besides ss2 every game in the series does have its ups and downs. samurai shodown 2 has no downs. it's perfect. it's the fatal fury special of its series.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
i personally think all the samurai shodowns are great. but besides ss2 every game in the series does have its ups and downs. samurai shodown 2 has no downs. it's perfect. it's the fatal fury special of its series.

cant argue with that. solid controls, good roster or characters, great music and visuals. Definitely one of the best in the series next to ss4 in my opinion.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
cant argue with that. solid controls, good roster or characters, great music and visuals. Definitely one of the best in the series next to ss4 in my opinion.

ss4 is actually one of my least favourites. i absolutely love the presentation of ss4 but i'm not a big fan of the 30+ hit combos you could pull off just by pressing two buttons. if only it played more like ss3 it would be one of my favourites in the series.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi

SS2 is one of the few perfect games I’ve ever played. On any platform

NeoField

Rugal's Thug
But SS4 you can commit suicide! I always thought that was an awesome option when your playing against people.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I've never understood the hype behind SSII, not enough combos or action for my liking.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
I've never understood the hype behind SSII, not enough combos or action for my liking.

don't think of it as that kind of game. ss2 was meant as a competitor to street fighter 2. it's on the same line of games such as fatal fury special, not kof or the sf alpha series.

Sypth

Mr. Big's Thug
Was the first game I played on my original cab, in comparison to the first fatal fury I definitely liked it a hell of a lot more. The best? I dunno about that.

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
Sam Sho II is a game that I love, and if I ever see an arcade cabinet with it I always play it. Although I rarely see it now.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
Was the first game I played on my original cab, in comparison to the first fatal fury I definitely liked it a hell of a lot more. The best? I dunno about that.

samurai shodown 2 is not really comparable to the first fatal fury. fatal fury 1 is its own thin that snk did which was in response to capcom's street fighter 1 and also took heavy inspiration from final fight which was very popular at the time.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
samurai shodown 2 is not really comparable to the first fatal fury. fatal fury 1 is its own thin that snk did which was in response to capcom's street fighter 1 and also took heavy inspiration from final fight which was very popular at the time.

For the record, I LOVE Fatal Fury 1, easily one of the best of the Neo's early titles. It's like a little slice of Mike Tyson's Punch-Out, SNK style.